Cuaba Salomones

Rarely has anything promised so much and delivered so little. I had heard so much about these and been so keen to try them (would have tried them some time ago if my bastard ex-neighbour hadn’t pinched mine when I was away). This from the Rob humidor and I just hope that it was a complete dud that snuck through and that the reality is that these are far better than my experience. I’d love to hear if others have been more fortunate than me. I am prepared to give it another shot but it has a lot of ground to make up. The burn was ragged and ugly. Bushfires dream of burning so quickly. However, compared with the draw, the burn was first class. This drew like a wind tunnel. The burn revealed large air pockets. The French army provided more resistance in WWII. The flavour was largely bland. The only reason this waste of time didn’t score even lower was that what flavour that there was, was not too unpleasant. The most disappointing cigar in memory. 62.

My problem with this puro is that the look and expectation are not equal to the experience. I have had several and the burn was controlable,with a triple torch, and the draw was average.

The real rub is with the flavor. There just doesn't seem to be enough. Mild and smooth but with little character. This would all be aceptable if this was a six dollar stick. I am funny that way. Charge me more is ok but give me more with it.

If this cigar was a woman I would call it a P.T.

:clap:

Great review Ken :-D

I have had some crackers with deep rich mud cake flavour and I have had others which taste like straw.

Too young to make a firm opinion in these. Ken what is your box code. Make sure you put it in your review. I am guessing NOV 03.

Thase are not to be touched until Christmas 05 for an update.

» Too young to make a firm opinion in these. Ken what is your box code. Make

» sure you put it in your review. I am guessing NOV 03.

»

» Thase are not to be touched until Christmas 05 for an update.

I agree - These cigars need age!

I have had some that just rocked my world!

X'mas 05 sounds right.

I was never a Cuaba guy until I had one with some age & it changed my opnion completly.

I say find the oldest stick you can and try again!

CC

• 2 weeks later...

Had one of these at Habanablues' wedding. Wasn't really the right setting to appreciate or evaluate the Salamone properly, but the burn was certainly not too flash. The construction was pretty good overall, & I did bring a box back from Cuba at Xmas time, so will let these rest for a while longer & see what they're like then

Hey ALB, thought I'd post this up as it was an absolute classic...perhaps a location joke that you had to be there for (if so, sorry forum) but an absolute classic line:

Setting: In lobby of Hotel after my wedding, Paratagas Tubos being passed around to non-smokers however ALB pulls our Salomones for us to enjoy on this night of nights! HabanaBlue off with wife having a boogie and puff while ALB hanging at the bar.

Girl at bar cracking on to ALB (ALB also being a 110kg former NZ Rugby Jnr):

"Look at the size of that Thing!!!!"

ALB (with cheesy grin on his face):

"I get that all the time"

Bloke next to ALB (with cigarette and frown on his face):

"How can I compete with that"

:lol::lol2::rotfl:

HA HA had to be the best call I've ever heard...sorry ALB if I have missed something please feel free to edit!

• 6 months later...

This has ranked, in the past, as my most disappointing and over-hyped smoke of all. Picked up a few in Spain at a good price so thought that the Island was the perfect place to try it. Have heard such mixed reports and wondered if change of source (no disrespect, Rob) might lead to something a little more acceptable. No such luck. The only good thing one could say about this was that it wasn’t as bad as the previous time. Hard, dirty, bitter, hot. No redeeming features at all. Not quite the bushfire burn of the previous one but I just don’t understand these. Is anyone enjoying them? Why do Havana persist? Are there not gardens in Havana that need mulch? 70.

I've only had one of these and it was fantastic. Mine had some good age on it

though judging by the plumage. The guy who gave that one to me ranks this

as his favorite regular production cigar. With the pricetag these carry on them,

I believe I'll wait a while to spring for a box.

• 3 weeks later...

» This has ranked, in the past, as my most disappointing and over-hyped smoke

» of all. Picked up a few in Spain at a good price so thought that the Island

» was the perfect place to try it. Have heard such mixed reports and wondered

» if change of source (no disrespect, Rob) might lead to something a little

» more acceptable. No such luck. The only good thing one could say about

» this was that it wasn’t as bad as the previous time. Hard, dirty, bitter,

» hot. No redeeming features at all. Not quite the bushfire burn of the

» previous one but I just don’t understand these. Is anyone enjoying them?

» Why do Havana persist? Are there not gardens in Havana that need mulch?

Ouch. I'm glad I passed on a recent purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you Ken, bought a single to try,was thinking of getting a box, and was not impressed. the burn was terrible I could never get it straight and the flavor was bland, just nothing there, maybe it gets better with age but who has that much time

i've tried several and they just don't do it. some have had a couple of years but offer zip. if they are going to improve, i can't see where it is coming from. but fascinating that some more fortunate members have had much better experiences. i live in hope, though not expectation.

• 1 month later...

» wish I would have read this board prior to smoking one this past weekend,

» exactly thee same experiences.

Yup same here. I smoked one on Christmas day with the family around. I got all excited, and we ventured into the garage with cigars and Scotch in hand. I must say that it was one of the more disappointing cigar experiences. The cigar was over a year old, and it had absolutely ZERO flavor. It tasted like warm air. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I had my wife (who is also a cigar smoker) try it. I didn't say ONE WORD to her for 5 minutes while

I was trying it. I just handed it to her and asked her opinion. She took a few puffs and said it had no flavor at all. About half way down I just let it die out on its own and lit up a Monte Edmundo instead, which had tons of flavor.

Guest crossbow

» i've tried several and they just don't do it. some have had a couple of

» years but offer zip. if they are going to improve, i can't see where it is

» coming from. but fascinating that some more fortunate members have had much

» better experiences. i live in hope, though not expectation.

Happen to agree Ken

Had one for my birthday...it was a disappointment.

I thought it was just because I had the cigar with a 6 grape Port.

Glad someone shares my opinion towards this cigar

• 2 weeks later...