Some Particularly Good \'04 Cigars I\'ve Had

With all this talk about cooking tobacco, underfilled cigars, poor aging potential, and everything else, I thought I'd list a few really memorable cigars I've smoked recently with late '03 - '04 date codes. Most all these were purchased from CZ of course...

1) Cohiba Esplendidos, KNA DEC03 Best damned Esplendidos I can remember, strong honey and earth flavors and smooth as silk.

2) RyJ Churchill tubo JNL MAY04, another fantastic cigar bursting with classic RyJ somewhat spicy flavor and some licorice and floral notes too, off the wall good with a very dark, nearly EL looking wrapper!

3) H. Upmann Mag 46 HFR FEB04, just superb full rich and creamy tobacco flavor with a nice fresh Upmann 'bite' to it, these were just 2 months old and fantastic.

4) Cohiba Siglo VI GKI JUN04, never had a bad Siglo VI, but these were especially excellent.....who says these need age??? :lol2:

5) Partagas P2 SVF MAR05, well even the '05s have been great so far IMO. I bought a couple boxes of -10- dated FIM FEB05 and they tasted a bit 'green' so I broke open the MAR05 box and they were rich, full flavored, bursting with Partagas spice and leather....gotta get more of these.

Please list some of your memorable recent experiences with cigars from late 03, '04, or early '05

BTW....I could really care less if some say the '04s may not age well in 3-5 years, mine will be long gone by then anyways :lol:

1. Partagas P2 (FEB 05).

Rich, sweet paprika and coffee flavour. The best new release in many years.

2. Cohiba Esplendidos MKO Sep 04

Made a statement that the Esplendido was back and ready to claim the mantle as the finest of all Churchills. Sweet Honey cream as all great Cohiba should be. I have been bagging Esplendidos since 2001. Not any more.

3. Por Larranaga Petit Corona

KMM OCT 04. It has everything I want my lawyer to be. Ruthlessly strong, oily and cheap. Will age for 50 years if you want it to.

4. Partagas Serie D 4

FJN May 05. Open the box and the smell is so intense that you swear the horse has died in the barnyard. Cigars are oily, the flavour bracing just like when you have a tequilla at 9am to kick off the day. Power packed.

For me:

1. PLPC '04

Trying me best to keep my grubby hands from these for a year or so.

2. Partagas SP2

I agree with Rob on all counts..as good to look at as it is to smoke.

3. Upmann Mag 46

No need to elaborate.

4. Partagas SD4

My box is just 3 shy of being empty. My go to late afternoon chocolate fix.

5. Partagas Shorts

When time is a factor there is nothing better. Most bang fo the buck.

"It has everything I want my lawyer to be. Ruthlessly strong, oily and cheap."

I can relate. When I was young, I had a few girlfriends like this. :-|

For me, the best recent smokes are:

PSP2

PSD4

PShorts

Hmmm..... is there a theme here somewhere?

» "It has everything I want my lawyer to be. Ruthlessly strong, oily and

» cheap."

»

» I can relate. When I was young, I had a few girlfriends like this. :-|

»

» For me, the best recent smokes are:

»

» PSP2

» PSD4

» PShorts

»

» Hmmm..... is there a theme here somewhere?

OK, I gotta admit that the Mag 46's are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

<<< 4. Partagas Serie D 4

FJN May 05. Open the box and the smell is so intense that you swear the horse has died in the barnyard. Cigars are oily, the flavour bracing just like when you have a tequilla at 9am to kick off the day. Power packed. >>>

Wow! Very tempting indeed, you can never have enough SD4s or Famosos in my opinion. :-D

I had a superb 05 Dip 2 yesterday evening after lunch (it was a long lunch).

The Dip 2's have made a remarkable comeback. They are amongst the best made of the Torps and some seriously good wrapper is going into them.

• 8 years later...

2. Cohiba Esplendidos MKO Sep 04

Made a statement that the Esplendido was back and ready to claim the mantle as the finest of all Churchills. Sweet Honey cream as all great Cohiba should be. I have been bagging Esplendidos since 2001. Not any more.

Sometimes we must top off old threads to give an update as to how the cigars we loved young smoke right now. I am smoking my last of several boxes of these exact cigars. They still smoke fresh after nine years unlike many Cohibas.

These boxes are to die for, and unfortunately, gone.

Kudos to Rob for identifying a classic.