Punch Royal Seleccion No 12 (ABU SEP03) Review

Nice Review Rob.

My wife just walked into my studio, saw me staring at one of the pictures in your review and began laughing as she said " you guys are so f*cking weird... I mean you are entranced by a picture of someone's half smoked cigar." She kept laughing to herself all the way down the hall.

Nice review. I have a box from around the same time in 2003. My first one of them kicked me straight on my ass, and I had it after dinner. One of the strongest and most filling cigars I've ever smoked. And there was this flavor...Have to check my notes, but I seem to recall tasting this earthy, bittersweet chocolate toffee flavor that was most unique and pleasant. I think they'll only get better as well.

I'm with you, Rob. I demand integrity, substance, big knockers and low morals. Why settle for less?

Very nice review of a classic cigar. But these are babes in the woods. I've got a cab of '01s that I won't even look at for another couple of years. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Slide the lid off a cab, lift off the cedar, peel away the wax paper and "kabam" a visual and oral attack on the senses :love: This SLB of 12's looked perfect and the aroma was intense raisin, coffee and toasted tobacco.

If I were to score it on grounds of looks....it would be a 99.

Now while Smithy is shallow enough to judge new female employees solely on looks (staff meeting this morning....he requested a blonde with big knockers, big hopes and low morals)...I on the other hand always need looks to be accompanied by integrity and substance .....yes...we are still talking cigars :lookaround:

image2091.jpg

image2092.jpg

image2093.jpg

Smell at cold was all sweet spice and toasted tobacco....pungeant. No hard or soft spots...oily wrapper...perfectly bunched foot. Clipped the end...perfect draw, sweetness on the lips.

I can tell you that at this point I couldn't wait to try this 12....it has been a long time since a a petit corona has aroused my interest to this level just through the sheer tactile sensory overload.

Torched the end and let the PC get into stride....powerhouse. Bull at a gate, white pepper but plenty of dark roasted espresso, a meatiness/charred BBQ....raisin and some sweet spices. WHOA!!!!

One of the best starts in a cigar I have had in a long time and while it tried to maintain the rage into the first third....the wildness slowly dissipated as it achied a composure comprising flavours of dark coffee, raisins and perfect toasted tobacco. Still full bodied.

image2094.jpg

By the halfway mark my Royal Seleccion No 12 was back to a core flavour of toasted tobacco and espresso coffee. All sense of sweet spice had gone and even through the nose it had lost its white pepper bite. Sensuous, smooth, relaxing. Great level of smoke. Fine sexy temptress of a cigar that had fixated my attention for the best part of 30 minutes.

image2095.jpg

Well into the last third this cigar was not going to show me any more sides of rebellion. I was hoping for a return of either sweet or pepper spice but it continued it's well structured tobacco/coffee line. Body remained full at all times. Behaviour impeccable.

Would love to revisit these in another two years. I believe that they would be absolutely divine.

image2096.jpg