Trinidad Reyes OTB JUN 06

» Thanks for the review. You mentioned black pepper was present in the

» beginning but quickly left. I'm curious did it ever return, or was a

» little spice present afterwards?

The black pepper never really returned and through the nose there was little evidence of spice after the opening third.

The cigar looks flawless. From the review I don't know if I would like this cigar as much as others, I generally don't go for the coffee/chocolately notes. I like the straight up tobacco, spice, pepper, cream. But, a cigar so favored on with so much effort in creation deserves a tasting.

I forgot to say that I followed up your review with a Oct 05 version and found them to be a bit different. This guy started with creamy chocolate and vanilla notes, and progressed halfway into quite a powerhouse with excellent raw tobacco spice with plenty of twang. lots of pepper. Quite different even then my Nov 05 boxes. I love this cigar and they always enjoy plenty of real estate in my humi - even though they are small!

» I came across some Deakin Estate Shiraz which Liquorland was

» selling out at $4.99 a bottle for a six bottle buy.

»

» Liquorland? Is that Ozzy slang for Australia?

Liquorland? We have a Suitland here close by DC and I know there is a Tailand. . . :rotfl:

• 2 weeks later...

Had the opportunity to smoke my first - STL SEP 06. Construction and wrapper

were nearly flawless, though slightly hard at the head.

The wrapper was deep tan / creamy coffee in color, smooth and nearly vein free.

The draw was a bit tight, but smoke volume was excellent. This one started out

with a fantastic mix of sweet honey, salty spice, and sandalwood. It progressed

into more of a citrus profile - sweet grapefruit without the astringent bite. It became

more earthy near the end. Overall, medium+ in body. It only betrayed it's youth

via a slightly vapid finish, and some very slight greenness at the very end.

Such a young cigar has no business tasting so good. As espn's Stuart Scott might

say - have some, or in the parlance of Nero Wolfe - most satisfactory.

Outstanding.

This has been discussed here before - I'm curious as to how these will evolve - I

get the feeling they'll either be cigars for the ages, or could become average.

» Had the opportunity to smoke my first - STL SEP 06. Construction and

» wrapper

» were nearly flawless, though slightly hard at the head.

» The wrapper was deep tan / creamy coffee in color, smooth and nearly vein

» free.

I had an opportunity to smoke my STL JUN 06 Reyes last night. I found it to be a very mild smoke...all the flavors described by Pres...but muted....the cigar never changed to the very nub...mild , flavorful...but I expected more body. I'll try another in 6 months or so.

• 1 year later...

I was down the Gold Coast at Christmas and needed to find some red wine quaffers (easy drinking cheap red wine) for a series of barbeques with family and friends. I came across some Deakin Estate Shiraz which Liquorland was selling out at $4.99 a bottle for a six bottle buy. At the time I thought I had seen it on Hallidays list of better reds under $15 so I paid my $30 (24 USD) for the 6 bottles and promptly forgot all about them until yesterday when on the deck with a lovely looking little Trinidad Reyes. I was hesitant to try the wine and almost pulled out a bottle of Mad Dog...bit I thought I would give it a go. What a surprise! Certainly in the cheap and cheerfull category but good fruit, good weight and smooth.

Anyway...back to the Trinidad Reyes! Due to the sheer amount of workload I am carrying :lookaround: I only had time for a half corona yesterday and I could think of nothing better than this little Trinny.

Beautiful brown wrapper with a little green spot near the cap. Perfectly rolled, smell of cocoa and cinnamon at cold. The foot pefectly bunched...the pig tail cap a delight.

image2040.jpg

image2041.jpg

image2042.jpg

image2043.jpg

Clipped the foot to find a perfect draw providing the perfect level of resistance. Gently torched the foot......volume of thick smoke and a palate assault of black pepper, Belgian cooking chocolate and coffee cream. What a performer...straight into stride from the first draw.

The black pepper quickly tailed away leaving the bittersweet profile of the cooking chocolate mixed with an iced coffee cream note. Truly sensational at the first third mark.

image2044.jpg

image2045.jpg

This is a medium full cigar. Not as full bodied as the Cohiba Siglo 1 and certainly a different blend profile. The Trinidad Reyes has a more chocolate coffee profile than the Siglo. It is such a relaxing enjoyable cigar that if they could manage to achieve the same flavour profile in the eternally disappointingTrinidad Robusto Extra, I may not smoke any other Marque.

The cigar did not change in flavour or body profile right to the the final draw. There was no bitterness, no greeness no bad manners.

This Trini is continually a star performer. From construction to blend it is exceptional and will always find a place in my humidor.

Cetrainly one of the highlights of my day :ok:

90/100 5/6 smokerings.