Montecristo No 2

Box LLN MAR 04

Curious that one of the world’s most popular cigars seems to have been completed neglected by the forum. A cigar that suffers from the tall poppy syndrome and unfairly in my view. Looking back over notes - probably more for this cigar than any other, it is a consistently terrific smoke (my personal ratings are usually around 91 give or take a point or two). Occasionally, doesn’t live up to the ‘greatness’ tag (a box from Spain was good but not quite as stunning as they can be but the most recent box - from Havana last year - is just a joy) but usually is an extremely reliable, thoroughly enjoyable smoke. The latest (from the Havana box) had a perfect burn, an easy but not too loose draw, and was full of spice, coffee and cream, cinnamon and more. Quite mild and showing early hints of complexity. Was as good as any Monte 2 I have tried for ages and just brilliant with a glass of Johnnie Walker Blue. 92+.

Rob: Along with the Monte 4's the 2's are the comeback kids of 2004. Have enjoyed some superb examples and there is a new consistency to the line which was missing for many years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I believe the Monte 2's from '04 show very good promise for ageing, hell, I think they're pretty damned good right now too. As much as the Monte 2's have recently improved in both quality and consistency, I still somehow prefer the Robaina Unico as my 'go to' piramide.

As a side note: Regarding all this talk of plugged cigars from Rob.....I've purchased countless boxes and singles from CZ over the past couple years, and I think I've had a total of maybe 2 or 3 plugged cigars at most. Do these guys know you're supposed to clip the head before smoking?????

are you sure it is rob that you are buying these 'unplugged' cigars from? you are either the luckiest bloke on the planet or you have not shown him up in front of mates by catching more fish than him (it wasn't my fault - they just kept leaping on the line. how long must i be punished?).

:lol2:

Hmmm Ken, I am questioning your storage conditions.

Ken...why don't you tell everyone how you managed to turn a perfectly good box of Cohiba Double Corona LE's into...garden mulch... through a little too much water :lol3:

No doubt now that they resemble a gnarled pencil... they will be tight on the draw as well ;-)

you mean how that dud humidor you flicked me managed to turn my most cherished possessions into compost and yet, have i even mentioned suing you (and this is how i am repaid?).

tragically, not just cohiba LE DC's but even worse was a box of cohiba seleccion (the good thing with what happened is that, provided insurance does the right thing, at your inflated prices, i'll be able to eat this week).

i'll bring you one for lunch on friday - the pyramides now look like domino's!

• 3 weeks later...

» you mean how that dud humidor you flicked me managed to turn my most

» cherished possessions into compost and yet, have i even mentioned suing

» you (and this is how i am repaid?).

»

God, I love a good fight.

I was thinking about getting in on the class action suit but my attorney tells me that a slimy SOB like Rob will be extremely hard to pin down. He suggest malicious slander as my best alternative.

Be advised that Rob refers to a plugged cigar as having a "firmish draw". He actually loves these.

On the topic BTW, I like the Monte. #2 but did find one box that was not quite"on". Got it from a "friend" don't know where it came from. Bolivar Belicoso Fino and Vegas Robaina Unicos are in the running also.

On the record CZ is #1...........

• 4 weeks later...

OH-do I dare indicate that I have one beautiful box that has been sitting in my humidor for a couple years that I set aside to start smoking in three years. Once a month I open the box, shove my nose next to one of those babies, and inhale. The world could go to hell when I am sniffing and I would never no it.

:-) :-)

dave

Guest Sailor

To me, this cigar represents a classic example of a great Cuban Cigar. They have had a few rough years, as have many, but of late they are a joy and a treasure. I know that I will be collecting a few boxes to put away. I'm working my way thru a box from Sep of '03 and wish that I had bought 2. Why don't these come in Cabs?

• 2 weeks later...

great question - why not in cabs? perhaps our esteemed guru could use his influence and make the suggestion. can't believe they would not sell. recently divided the stash up into those put away for storage for a few years (out of harm's way) and those to have at home for current smoking over the next year or so (hence, why i have not responded to the query re the younger slr dc's). the box of m/c 2's ended up in current smoking. while i am loving them, regret that i didn't put another box away. have to rectify that.

Waiting patiently for a package to arrive containing 5 Monte #2's. I will post my thoughts after a little resting time in the Humidor.

They are all I expected and more, creamy coffee flavor with a hint of chocolate at the end. Perfect draw and volumes of smoke. I can't tell you the age.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the first out of a dozen Lisa sent me. This is what a Monte No. 2 should be. Dark, oily wrapper. Perfect draw, a little uneven burn but didn't need any touchups. Mild to medium bodied. Flavor was a rich bittersweet coffee with cream, dark chocolate finish, some vanilla notes. Not a very complex smoke young but awfully tasty and satisfying. Made me wish I'd bought a box. Not a difficult problem to rectify, though. 92

• 2 weeks later...

El Presidente wrote: "I am 99% sure all of the Monte 2's we currently hold are coded Sept 04".

Lisa wrote: "I thought you would like the dark and oily ones :-) The box code was MPC DIC04."

Hmmm.... I wonder who knows what's going on around there? :-|

• 3 months later...

Sept 05. In the lagares at the Douro Boys 2003 release. Also one in Santa Ana Plaza in Madrid while watching the gorgeous women walk by. Both typical M/C II’s and really enjoyed them both. Very similar, as you’d expect. Near perfect burn, slow and consistent, some dried herbs, spices, cinnamon and dark coffee. Had richness, but not over the top and also mild hints of early complexity. I have scribbled down 92 and 90 respectively but that difference is likely because there were even more stunning women at the Release than in the Plaza (I do try and keep this objective and technical).

i have had some real spotty experiences with mc2's lately. some have been damn near incredible, but others were lackluster and bland. i have some put back, mainly because i have been pulling on dip2's and vrus instead. both of those have been much more consistent for me.

• 2 weeks later...

The late '04s were & are certainly better than the late '03s which seemed very inconsistent & spotty. The most LEs I've tried so far are incredible & look forward to many more pure afternoons with Monte.

Looking a debate though - Monte #2 versus Dip #2 versus Vegas Unicos ???