Montecristo No 2

» » » I've never had a Monte 2 thrill me.

»

» Au contraire Goat… the Monte 2 I had a couple of weeks ago was glorious

» enough that it may well be my next box selection! Certainly, to each his

» own, but for me, this one‘s a keeper!!

Maybe the next one I smoke will wow me. My experience with these only spans 5 or 6 boxes, not a large sample size. I have a box buried that I will revisit in a few years. Hopefully by then, they will rock my world. I also have a box of Monte 4's from 03 that are great, while my 04's are just OK (also buried now), and a box of Monte 5's from 04 that are good, but not great. They just seem less consistent than other brands to me. When I reach into my humidor, the monte's just never seem to grab my attention, except for the 98 especiales. :-p

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

» » » » I've never had a Monte 2 thrill me.

» »

I'm with you on this. I did a box split with a friend of mine last year for these and was never wowed by it. I just ordered a couple of singles from CZ to see if it might wake me up, but for now, I'm still enjoying the PSP2 and the VRUs much more.

• 2 weeks later...

If we had the chance to compare old and new smokes with lines like the Por Larrunga PC and a few others, we also did with the Monte 2's. what I found interesting was that there seemed less discrepancy in qualitative terms with these than with the others. Both were good and this must be one of the most reliable of all smokes. The older ones, I was told they were about 7 or 8 years old but they didn’t seem anything like that, were a touch more mild and possibly marginally more complex. This is something I would like to do again as I was surprised how little difference there was. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

No secret that I am a fan of these and do see them as a wonderfully reliable and consistently good cigar. And then along comes this and stuffs up the theory. Tasted hard and slightly bitter and a bit dirty. Looked a bit disheveled and failed to impress in any respect. That said, I’ll consider this a blip and continue to believe in them. 82.

» Ahh, the Monte #2. My experience,however small the amount may be, is when

» the Monte is on it is great and when its not I go with the Upmann #2.

Amen. I was never impressed with the Monte #2. The Upmann #2 and BBF always did more for me.

The Monte 2 is a fascinating cigar and I remember my first--back in '99 or so. An associate at work had a pilot friend who occasionally brought back some Cubans. I was just getting into cigars but avidly reading everything I could and learned that the Monte 2 was the epitome of the Cuban cigar in the eyes of many. Consequently, I was anxious to try it and when we were offered the box to split---I vaguely remember taking 3 or so with me to try.

That night I went to the Ritz Carlton in Tyson's Corner--which at one time had a very large "cigar-friendly" atmosphere--and lit my first Monte 2. Was it everything I had hoped for? Yes--twice over.

I couldn't believe how "creamy" and smooth a cigar could be! And the flavors were beyond compare. I was quickly hooked on Cuban cigars! The next morning I waltzed into my friend's office to see how he enjoyed his own Monte experience. For some reason he was not impressed and I up'd my stash by another dozen of these gems! I have ONE left from that original batch and am saving it for a very special occasion. The friend later got his taste buds back or something and regretted not keeping more of that batch which he sold off to other office workers!

I also can vividly recall an evening of Monday Night Football just a year or so ago when two friends and I each had Monte 2's from different sources. They were all roughly the same age and we thought it would be a good opportunity to compare.

To make a long story short; one of the Montes absolutely blew-away the others (including mine!!). It was "knock-your-socks-off" good. It really opened my eyes again to: a) this cigar's potential B) the need not to dismiss a cigar with a proven track-record--despite a mediocre experience.

Soooooooo, even with two boxes of different '02 Montes in the 'dor (they're very good--just not outstanding) I just had Lisa put together an order of '05's for me as I WON'T give up on this cigar--ever.

certainly, i have had far, far more good and sometimes extremely good experiencs with this stick than i have had poor ones so i too won't give up.

i remember going out to the bars in tysons corner when i was working in DC but for some reason, the name evokes 'chickens'. any reason for that or has the mind completely gone?

• 3 months later...

This one is from a Sep 04 box (no factory code):

Appearance: medium-dark brown, no soft spots, no veins

2/2

Burn: Fairly straight, needing 2 minor touch-ups. Went out once

2/3

Flavor: full bodied, rich, with lots of tang and cocoa flavoers. Started strong and ended strong.

75/75

Draw. Near perfect; slight resistance

17/20

This was one FANTASTIC cigar, and these are getting better every month.

Overall score: 96/100

HIghly recommended.

» One of my favorite go to smokes when I'm not sure what I want to smoke.

Funny you should say that; There are many times I open up all 6 of my humidors up, scratch my head wondering what to choose, and then go right for the Monte 2.

Never really gave these a chance yet, the ones I have had were good but not great..imo. But I do have a Monte Dunhill Seleccion #2 given to me by a good friend ;-) that I can't wait to try!!!!

• 2 years later...

I was recently in France on a wine buying expedition to replenish the cellar stocks. Whilst hunting I stumbled upon a little tobacconist (yep, still have 'em in France) who had some Monte No.4's in 3 packs. I haven't had a Monte 4 for yonks so thought I'd give 'em a go & bought a pack.

On opening the pack of Montes I was greeted by 3 amazingly dark, oily sticks & a wonderful chocolate & honey smell. Excellent draw & construction.

Having lit one up I thought I was smoking a Toblerone! Jeez.....amazing!

Dashed back to said tobacconist & bought the rest of his stock, 4 packs.

I have since smoked the lot and they were all as good as the first one.

No dates or codes on the packs so I have no idea how old they were, which is a shame.

So, having got back home I bought a box of 25 (May 05). They don't look or smell the same & neither did the one I sampled. OK, but none of the flavour or complexity. They are now in long-term ageing.

But I have memories of a great trip to France & an awesome smoke (or 12)!

image136.gif