Ramone Allones 8-9-8 Varnished

After writing this I found a thread on the Discussion Forum about this cigar, started by Colt45. That thread can be found at http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entr...id=35095#p35095

I hope it is OK to post this separately, but you may want to refer to this other thread to see the many opinions posted about this cigar.

Ramon Allones 8-9-8 Varnished

Date: March 02

Date of review: November 5, 2006

Size: Dalia (43 ring gauge, 6 ¾ inches)

I received this cigar from Shrink, who sent it my way after asking me about what cigars I was interested in trying. Since this is a hard to get, discontinued cigar, I thought it would be a good one to try. I have smoked very few Ramon Allones to date (only RASS), and none with significant age. I smoked this cigar in the late afternoon, a beautiful day, about 75 degrees, out by my pool.

This cigar was beautifully made and lit up very nicely. The draw and burn were perfect throughout the smoke.

This cigar is a good one to review in three parts, because the cigar had three distinctive phases. In the first third of the cigar, I picked up a great sweet, fruity, raisin type flavor. The cigar was also full of a creamy, almost buttery taste, very smooth. While the cigar was full flavored, it was only mild to medium in strength during this part. At this point I thought that it was a great cigar, but that it would be a bit boring if it continued being so mild and sweet throughout its length.

In the second third, the cigar started building strength. It retained the sweet raisin type of taste, but the creamy taste diminished and a strong tobacco taste started to build. Since the first part was so mild and sweet, I was surprised as the cigar built in strength, and my lips and tongue began to feel numb on some of my puffs. So in this part of the cigar, it was full of strength and flavor.

In the final segment, this cigar kicked into high gear. None of the sweet, fruity taste remained. I was smoking a strong cigar that would have put me on the floor if it had been this strong throughout. But given the opening segments, it was a pleasant change of pace. At this point the cigar was full bodied, but did not have much flavor beyond the strong tobacco taste.

In summary, this cigar was the epitome of a complex cigar. It offered a full range of taste and strength, and was the most varied cigar from start to finish that I have smoked to date. I would give this cigar 5 smoke rings out of a possible 6, an exceptional cigar, maybe worthy of 6 rings. These cigars went out of production after 2002—a pity. I will definitely be on the lookout for a box of them.

Thanks to Shrink for his generosity in sending this my way.

Professor,

Excellent review! :ok: I happen to agree with your smoking experience with the Ramón Allones 898. I have smoked through several boxes of some ABR 02's and have found them almost all exactly the way you have described them. I love the size, flavor and complexity of this vitola. I was very heartbroken when they discontinued this cigar. :-( I still have an intact box sleeping and maybe in a couple more years might break it out and smoke sparingly, they are such a treat for me.

Shrink, I hear you have been a very generous shrink and the good Professor was talking about you with very high regard last night while we were consuming a few cigars together. Good man!

» I just picked up a cab of these dated Feb '02. Yes they are an

» unbelievably rich and complex cigar.

They had them in cabs? How nice to have one of them. I have an unbroken box from 02 but still smoking on a partial box that I got from a friend. The RA PC's were quite the smokes also. Does make you wonder who is driving at Habanos SA to D/C those type of cigars.

• 2 weeks later...

» » I just picked up a cab of these dated Feb '02. Yes they are an

» » unbelievably rich and complex cigar.

»

» They had them in cabs? How nice to have one of them. I have an unbroken

» box from 02 but still smoking on a partial box that I got from a friend.

» The RA PC's were quite the smokes also. Does make you wonder who is

» driving at Habanos SA to D/C those type of cigars.

They come in varnished cabs of 25, like the Partagas 898 or LGC MdeO series.

I guess I just have bad luck. Out of my box I'd estimate that close to 50 % of the cigars are virtually unsmokable. Just smoked my second and it was plugged and overfilled, just as the first one. I tossed it and went over the lot feeling for plugs and found many plugged and also several with very soft spots. Thus the 50 % estimate.

Well, I just lit up one of those that felt allright, and sure enough the draw is ok. Very tasty too, but I've only smoked less than an inch so far. I'm starting to get what the review was all about...Mmmm, yes, creamy, indeed.

Is there nobody else that have experienced construction problems with this cigar?

Is there nobody else that have experienced construction problems with this cigar?

I've smoked from a number of '01 and '02 boxes and haven't had one that I would describe as plugged. Some tight draws, especially when they were "young", i.e. a couple years ago. What year is your box?

I now store most of my lonsdales and dalias at 60 RH, and if I find a tight draw after cutting, I just put it in the bottom of the cab for the distant future. In time, they'll loosen up. It may be God's way of saying, "Patience, my son!".

» What humidity do you keep them at? I've seen lots of comments suggesting

» less than 65% is optimal.

I keep them at 65 % with the help of beads. Could be a factor, for sure, but I've had them at 65 % for three months. As to the age of the box, it came without the cardboard cover and it is not stamped on the box. I asked the vendor and got the answer that it was from the early 2000's. :-|

The one unplugged cigar I've had so far was very delicious, and your review was spot on. So now I have 2 boxes coming soon, but now from a different vendor. I hope the quality is better on these, and I'll just let the old plugged ones rest until time heals them, if that is possible.