What cigar from your collection........

OK guys and girls......you know what is in your humidor. You know what you like, love and detest.....you know...that Esplendido, D4 or Lonsdale that is a 98/99/00/01 which cost you a bomb for the box, taste like crap and deep down you know they always will :-)

Here is the question...based on what you own....right now...what cigar would you hand your best mate who has just done you the biggest of all favours.

and

What would you hand that mooching, parasite of a mate who hangs out with him...and who is also popping around.

Hmmm, my best mate...I would probably reach for a Taboada (sp?) Dom Perignon or Piramide or a Partagas Serie du Connoisseur No. 1 from '98.

That mooch...and yes, there is one that comes around fairly frequently...I don't waste any of my Habanos on this guy. No palate whatsoever. I hand off my freebies from the RTDA.:-P Of course, some of them are pretty darned good cigars...others, not so much.

Right now, today?

Best friend gets Bolivar Coronas Gigantes (H.Upmann Sir Winston close second, but

some have had draw issues)

Mooch: In reality gets a boot in the a$$, but if I must, gets a Partagas SD4 - the ones I have don't taste bad, they have no taste at all.

» OK guys and girls......you know what is in your humidor. You know what you

» like, love and detest.....you know...that Esplendido, D4 or Lonsdale that

» is a 98/99/00/01 which cost you a bomb for the box, taste like crap and

» deep down you know they always will :-)

»

» Here is the question...based on what you own....right now...what

» cigar would you hand your best mate who has just done you the biggest of

» all favours.

»

» and

»

» What would you hand that mooching, parasite of a mate who hangs out

» with him...and who is also popping around.

Best friend Special Occasion: SLR DC

Best Friend any ol day: Upmann Magnum 46

Mooch: Funny story. I have a friend that come by a few days each week and we drink rum and smoke a cigar after work. I really dont mind giving him a cigar, but then I started to count on my fingers and toes just how much I was "gifting" him. **** on average Im giving him 3 a week. So I had a lonely Piedra that I sure as hell wasnt going to smoke so I gave it to him. I wish I had the camera out. His face looked like he just smoked a piece of dry poop. He knew instantly it was a sub-par smoke.

Usually a Bolivar PC for the mooch.

best pal - i (already) open the humidor for him, and let him make his selection. if he asks for input (which he doesn't really do anymore) i would suggest some nice, aged vru's that are absolutely off the hook right now.

moocher - i usually give out choix supremes or partagas de luxe a/t's. i also keep a drawer of non-habanos i have bought/been given over the years for this as well.

Good friend- I usually tailor my choice to what I know that they enjoy, but if say it was you Rob coming to visit and I had no idea it would probably be a '98 Trinidad.

Mooch- Being a sales manager with a humidor in the office, there are different levels of mooch.

Good customer- RyJ Coronitas en Cedro

Good customer that just made a large purchase- Something from home

Customer that owes me lots of money- Whatever crap I happen to have, right now La Flor Dominicana and Flor de A Allones.

» best pal - i (already) open the humidor for him, and let him make his

» selection.

Good answer. If asked for my advice on which to select from my humidor I would steer him in the direction of 97 Montecristo Especiale #1, '98 Bolivar Corona Gigante or '00 Cohiba Lancero.

As for a mooch, it depends. If he or she were a sincere newcomer to Cuban cigars whom I wanted to help along, I would reach for a Quai D'Orsay Corona Grande or Corona Claro. If he or she were just a mooch for whom I had no respect or hope for respect, I'd dig into one of my non-Cuban humidors. I ain't going to waste ANY Cuban cigar on a rat such as that.

» OK guys and girls......you know what is in your humidor. You know what you

NO...honestly not...

But for the moochers I have the perfect thing...have a couple of bundles of some DR overruns that a vendor blowed out for almost nothing a couple of years ago...they are perfect for that...bid suckers 6x50 dark oily wrappers...looks delish....unfortenately they are almost tasteless...

For my best mates...well thats more difficult...but same as I'd choose for my self...but what is harder to say...depends a lot on the mood of the moment...

for a GOOD friend i've give them one of my '86 punch exquistitos or a '98 partagas perfectos OR one of my diplomaticos #7's from '92.

for the mooching ****a, well i'd give them one of my cheap non cubans i smoke on the weekends at gigs. i would never waste a good cigar on someone who just wanted to smoke because they think it's cool.

bruce

Here's a different answer:

I wouldn't give my best mate a vintage, rare, or other cigar that he can't find more of. I'd give him an '06 Monte No. 2. Then, when his eyes opened as wide as saucers, I'd show him where he could order a whole box for himself.

I'd give the moocher one of a box of Punch SS #2's (read on) that a vendor replaced, because they had been improperly stored, dried out, and tasted more bitter than sh*t.

Hey Prez - good question! Does though depend on your mood - right now I'd choose a Partagas Piramide LE.

If you still have moochas, perhaps you're handing out too much quality - what I found works was keeping a box of Macanundos (doesn't really matter which) as even the dog runs & hides when they come out for the 'friends' who pop in. What are they made out of anyway????