upmann magnum 46

Ken Gargett

Never really taken much notice of these and when the LE Mag 50's that came out, thought it time. I had previously tried a few 46's and always been rather underwhelmed. I had put a few loose ones in the humidor and forgot about them. Pulled them put, which I have noted before, and was blown away. I have also been rather concerned as I am coming towards the end of my PSS2's and cannot keep my hands off them. If I can show some small restraint, I should be able to eke them out for a year, though think about four months more likely. As they are discontinued, I have been looking for a replacement (not specifically in flavour but in a similar size and quality) and the way those Mag 46's performed, I thought them ideal. Picked up a magnificent looking cab from Rob and while I am hoping to put most of them away for at least twelve months, which would be perfect timing, could not resist trying one. Obviously youthful and still quite tight, it was not overly forthcoming, though that is understandable, and offered some attractive leather, chocolate, spice and especially espresso notes. Very good construction and built in richness with a long, slow burn. Only wish I had twigged a few years ago and had them in the humidor so they were really ready now. 89 with heaps of room for improvement.

I also need to buy some more so they can sit. My last box has dwindled fast. I also thought they were fair at best when I first opened my cab, but boy have they come to shine in the past 3 or 4 months.

» It's nice to see you're coming around at last, Ken. I was really concerned

» about your judgment. I enjoy a Mag young or old, but they really start to

» shine about 2-3 years old.

Shrink......go with your initial impressions of Ken ;-)

» » It's nice to see you're coming around at last, Ken. I was really

» concerned

» » about your judgment. I enjoy a Mag young or old, but they really start

» to

» » shine about 2-3 years old.

»

I'ver only had a couple of these, but I'm guessing that "old" is the necessary word here...mine were like the girls I used to date: easy, but young, dumb, and boring.

...mine were like the girls I used to date: easy, but young, dumb, and boring.

Wow! I knew one of those girls. She also compared you to a cigar...

said you were like a minuto: too short, hard to get going, kept losing your fire, a tosser. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Tried one from September '05 yesterday. For being in my possesion for only two

days, the flavor was very good. Construction - wise, it was absolutely beautiful.

Firm but deliberate draw, great smoke volume, near perfect burn.

For those with the means and storage space, a cab of fifty is the way to go.