Cohiba Esplendido

The advent of the Cohiba LE’s, especially with such stars as the DC’s and the Sublimes, and the Siglo VI, has meant that some of the brand’s more established smokes have lacked the attention they deserve. While I find some of the Siglo range less compelling than others might (not the VI which I love), this is always a standout and I think one of the very best Churchills around. An appearance of creamy coffee. Burn and draw always seem reliable and there are flavours including herbs, green leaf, honey, coffee bean, spice and milk chocolate. The flavour is largely consistent throughout and this is a cigar that needs time. The Hotel Nacional has them for $20 a stick and if there is a better way to spend an afternoon than sitting in that courtyard with one of these and a great mojito, then please tell me. Terrific potential. 91.

Rob: No other Habanos cigar so bastardised. I re-acquainted myself with the Esplendido in Havana after a long sebatical where I have drifted to either double corona's or shorter offerings such as the Siglo VI. A good Esplendido is something special. Coffee, cream and honey with a clean finish and no aftertaste the following morning. Class personified. 91

• 1 month later...

Can agree with you on the location Ken,

I enjoyed a Siglo VI after lunch in the courtyard overlooking the Malecon & sea front in December, & the great food ( + 3 mojitos) really just added to what was a great day in Havana. Look forward to trying an Esplendido soon.

I recently purchased a few 3-packs of Esplendidos from Lisa (KNA SEP03 I think) and they were the best Esplendidos I've ever had..... sweet honey was dominant, with creamy bean, and cedar flavor and just smooth as silk right to the end.....outstanding! That must have been an especially good batch. :-)

• 1 month later...

» Hmmmm-I am going to have to try some. Thanks for your review.

»

» dave

I have been led away from these for past experiances were not too good. Plugged , flat , not haveing the full Cohiba flavor. The exception would be a few I had from 97 from the LG factory.

It is the most fickle of all HAbanos IMHO.

You really need to search for a great box of these and when you have one they are superb. It is a crapshoot though and I am not too sure why. Has been the case for at least 7 years.

• 4 months later...

I find these curious - they seem to be almost neglected on the forum yet as one of the flagship smokes for the alleged leading producer (argument for another day), you’d think we’d always be on about them. My experiences have been a little mixed. Never had a bad one but had some that are much better than others. Still, at the price, you want knee-trembling pretty much all the time. In Cuba, they rarely excite too much - I suspect too young. Had one at the end of a great meal in France and it is one of the finest cigars I have ever smoked. Another, on the annual fishing trip of ‘03 was the smoke of the trip. Others have been good but more pedestrian. Must confess I have only ever bought by the single stick or a few at a time. They have become muddled in the ‘dor so no idea of which bought where and when (they would have certainly been all bought through you, Rob, except for those brought back from Cuba and the ones from Spain and possibly who knows what else). This was right up there. A stunner and one of the top three smokes of the trip (PSS2 and SLR DC’s the others). Wonderfully brilliant, subtle, complex smoke and if only the budget allowed for these by the cab! Chocolate, 5-spice, hints of leather, herbal hints (don’t think it could have been more than a few years old), coffee bean and more. Superb. Complex and rich and balanced. Excellent burn and construction. That all applies for the first 3/4s of the cigar. The last 1/4 was much more powerful and a bit harsh. Finished with a real buzz. Would have blown the top off the score sheets but for that hard last 1/4 but overall, loved it. 94.

Glad to see that they keep improving for you Ken (another 7 reviews and maybe we'll see a perfect 100 cigar :-D ). I have a few left from an 02 box that I'm saving and a few singles from Rob to occasionally smoke. One of my favorite robustos. Perhaps a box is in the making.

Great review Ken. I am expecting a couple any day now. I am looking forward to trying this smoke as I have not had one since the late 90s (1998). The 98 stick was phenominal. I think you are correct that due to price they are passed by by the average smoker.

Excellent review. I agree wholeheartedly with the issue of regular lines being ignored for the EL mania. I also agree that this cigar is wildly inconsistent. When "on" it is almost peerless (aged SW are right there with it) unfortunately there are too mant "off" examples out there.

Rob has steered me away from these as inconsistant but he gave me the go-ahead to try them. I purchased a box and smoked one the day they came. I am bad for that. It was no big deal. After two weeks of rest they are fantastic. I have smoked five up to now and I love them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great review. I must say the Esplendido is a most charming cigar. Have not had one for almost 2 years now after going thru 2 boxes in 2004 itself. Guilty perhaps for not taking the time to savour and enjoy such a wonderfully made cigar but it's etched deep in my head and the pleasure I had smoking them is unforgettable.

Was recently gifted a Cohiba Esplendido from the Selecion Reserva box and putting it aside for a special day. Wonder if anyone has done a review yet?

Thomas

I just recieved a 5 pack of 2001 from my friend in UK from the Laguito factory.( if thats how it spelled) Cant wait top try these. I have yet to have a genuine Esplendido

Must edit for my mind is in gutter. Have had some from 97. This is why I keep a spread sheet of previous experiances.

» Rob has steered me away from these as inconsistant but he gave me the

» go-ahead to try them. I purchased a box and smoked one the day they came.

» I am bad for that. It was no big deal. After two weeks of rest they are

» fantastic. I have smoked five up to now and I love them.

I plan to get a box of these within the next few months. I was thinking maybe i shouldn't due to the inconsistencies. But I'll defer to Rob myself and see what he thinks of current stock.

Ok, so I FINALLY got a chance to try the Esplendido after 11 years of smoking Cuban cigars. WTF was I waiting for????

Box code from 11/04

Appearance: 2/2

Beautiful, silky, dark brown wrapper, no veins

Draw: 18/20

Flavor: 75/75

Very rich, medium bodied cigar with flavors of coffee and chocolate.

Burn: 2/3 Very even burn with a bit of touching-up needed

Overall: 97/100 This ranks up there with my all time favorite cigars. I had it at my local cigar shop with some friends and a glass of Grand Marnier. A bit too pricy for me as a daily smoke, but damned if this cigar won't be my special occasion smoke. FANTASTIC!!

Thanks for the review, Ken. The Esplendido is one of my favorites and was actually my first cuban.

Today I discovered a bug hole in one Esplendido. I've been sloppy about freezing my cigars, but this sloppiness ended as of today!!! Anyway, this gave me a very good excuse to smoke it after shortening it one inch. Actually it was the best one I've had (I've smoked about ten of them). It was really full of flavours building up to a high about midway and ending with strong tobacco taste. Draw and burn was perfect which hasn't always been the case with mine. It's been in the humidor for a couple of months and now I really have high hopes for the rest of them.