June tasting cigar revealed

I'll be guinnea pig numero uno.

I am pretty sure this is a corona gorda + it is a box press. That narrows it down to a few cigars.

My impressions: Hefty and firm - draw was a bit tight but a good tight (just a nice draw). Great construction with a medium brown wrapper. I am liking this so far, my favorite size and wrapper shade.

Tastes: A very complex cigar with flavors of almonds, bean, and leather. Last 1/3 produced an awesome sweetness along with the other flavors mentioned. I'd call this full flavored with medium body. I don't think this has a lot of age on it as it was pretty harsh through the nose.

Overall: Really nice and once the cigar is revealed I will be planning on making a purchase. Burn was very good for not having much rest from the overseas trip.

Kind of tough to guess on this one as I've never had the RG corona extra but I don't think it is the Punch and too young to be an ERDM which I believe were discontinued.

I'll go with the Romeo Ex. No.3 from '04

may i say to the first post, half your luck.

for me, the great mystery about this cigar is why anyone would have made it in the first place. is havana short of compost?

a promising start - looked good and the first few puffs offered a lovely rich chocolatey, coffee bean note. i was quite excited. and then the brick wall. i reckon i had to light the thing three times for every subsequent puff. one of the least satisfying experiences for some time, and i extend that beyond cigars.

light it, nothing, light it, nothing, light it, quick puff (with some admittedly attractive flavours but be honest guys, if your chosen divinity manifested itself and said for 30 years in jail, you can have a quick kiss with elle - you are not going to do it, are you? that was about the rate of return), light it, nothing, light it....

after an hour or so of this endless fun, it went in the bin, where it should have been from day one.

i will not attempt to name it as to do so would suggest that i think it possible that one of the houses in havana could come up with this rubbish and i have far too high an opinion of them for that. this must have been a freak and not representative of the cigar itself, the roller's work (hopefully), the house and havana. the only thing it was representative of was crap. 10/100 (for having the gall to front up).

Ken loved the opening of the cigar but had some ignition problems. I put it down to incompetence :lol: Seriously, Ken smoked this cigar facing a 10 knot breeze on the deck outside our office. I have a gut feel that it had a great deal to do with the outcome.

I also enjoyed this Corona Grande. Golden toasted almond wrapper. Classic Cuban draw requiring a slight pull. True medium body with a sweet spice and honey note. Built in strength through the middle stages taking on a Montecristo (coffee and cream) meets La Gloria Cubana (herbacious citrus) experience.

The last third became confused which signalled some further benefit will be gained from aging.

A tad bitter toward the end but overall an excellent cigar which entertained me immensely. 90

» Ken loved the opening of the cigar but had some ignition problems. I put it

» down to incompetence :lol: Seriously, Ken smoked this cigar facing a 10

» knot breeze on the deck outside our office.

be fair - the gentle zepher would not have extinguished a candle and i tried all angles. an arsonist could not have got this going. if i'd gone to the garden and bundled a bunch of dead leaves together, it would hve been a better smoke. i'm sure that this was a one off. that consistency problem again.

A fairly attractive corona gorda, with a medium brown wrapper featuring one very prominent vein running the length of the cigar. Noticeably box pressed, especially at the foot which was decidedly oval in shape.

Clipped the head, and the pre-light draw had a noticeable honey-like quality to it, with a touch of cinnamon. Unfortunately, I could also tell it was going to be a battle smoking this cigar.

First few puffs confirmed my fears. While not completely plugged, it was a chore to smoke, having to work to get any smoke production out of it. Despite the draw problems, the cigar had an even burn, with a dark gray flaky ash. Overall impressions were sweet, with a clove-like spice... but very muted, probably due to the low smoke production.

Just past the halfway point, the spice picked up a little but otherwise not much change in flavour. Very shortly, the draw became worse and I set this one down.

Not a great experience. I wonder how much of this had to do with it's journey here, and if letting it rest in my humi for while longer would have given this somewhat bland cigar some life.

Thanks for letting me participate!

(On a side note, the Edmundo I fired up afterwards was probably the best constructed cigar I've ever smoked, with a razor sharp burn and sturdy ash I let grow to 1/2 the length of the cigar before tapping it off... quite a different experience.)

I did not even smoke the test cigar, but I think I know what it is just from reading the flavors those of you have spoken about the test cigar.

The flavors sure sound like a (**** ***** ** *) I'll say the name after everyone finishes there reviews.

Semi-box press cigar

5 1/2 x 46

Oily wrapper with a medium pre-light draw.

The beginnings

The cigar began very bitter and buttery. It almost had a taste of caramel that lacked sugar. By the end of the first third it remained bitter with a woody taste and light spice. I had copped a very good nic buzz at this point.

The mids

While still bitter, the woods and spice began to become more prominant. By the end of the second third, the cigar developed a blend of wood and leather with a vegetal undertone.

The ends

The cigar became full flavored. It smacked of tobacco and a sour spice. It developed burn issues into the beginnings of the ends and I had to overheat it to keep it lit. In the process of performing CPR on the cigar, I developed niccups. Yes. Niccups. I have tendencies to get hiccups after a nicotine overload. My guts were awry. It was me or the cigar. The cigar was layed in the ashtray to die the slow death it deserved.

The cigar was bitter from start to finish. This was the first time experiencing these types of flavors. I sincerely wish to never experience them again. I feel whatever cigar I was smoking needs to be put away for a looooong time. I don't have much faith that it would get any better though. I am on the edge of my seat to know what it is so that I can avoid it at all costs from this point forward.

I can usually find good in just about everything. I am very hard pressed to identify good in this cigar. I hate to write a bad review but I feel it's necessary. Thanks for letting me participate! TD

BTW there is NO WAY this was a Punch. If it was, it was stored in a pickle jar. :-D

OK last night I finally had a chance to fire this up with devoted attention. I have not read any other reviews at all so this is truly an original review.

I received the cigar and upon first inspection I was thrilled. It appeared to be a corona gorda-sized cigar (my favorite). Cigar was very square and box pressed. A bit rough with some gritty veining, but nice and oily and very dark. Not black dark but dark brown with a tint of rojo. Excellent firm roll throughout its length. Cut the nice cap with my sharp knife. Draw a tad firmer than I prefer - which means it was a slightly difficult draw. I hate windbags so a firm draw is better. It wasn't plugged by any stretch of the means though. The smell of this cigar was quite unique. It smelled "red". I know that is strange but oh well.

Upon lighting I was very impressed by its even burn and aromatic smoke. I immediately decided I liked this cigar and was glad it was just starting. After the first third I was enveloped in a creamy milky aroma. At the halfway point I found myself pointing into the slightest breeze to get the smoke to blow right into my nose. The cigar seemed quite mild, but the aroma was powerful - as was the taste. Full flavor, not full bodied strength. Finesse. I would describe it as a caramely-sweet cup of hot milk with honey mixed in and garnished with a vanilla sprig, and poured over a slightly overbaked cheesecake crust. Blend and serve. Short version: milky sweet. It was not a cigar I recognized right off the bat. The profile reminded me of some El Rey del Mundos I have had - just because of the milky sweetness.

At the 2 inch mark it picked up in strength, and peppery leather notes showed their presence. They soon became a bit more subdued and the finish was excellent. Smooth to the end. A very nice change of pace. I would buy a box. Or a cab!

I haven't even looked but I am not quite sure if there even is an El Rey del Mundo corona gorda. If there is I would imagine this is how they taste. Mild body, with a full flavor of caramely sweet hot milk. Excellent. 90/100

Interesting to read the other responses after posting mine. I do agree with El Prez that the last third became confused. Totally changed flavorwise. Could be in need of a little more aging. And the draw was a bit firm which kept the smoke volume down. But in hindsight I guess that was a good thing as the burn was razor sharp and it lasted for quite a while. Looks like Rob sabotaged Ken again lol!

» Who's left? It is almost mid-July let's get those reviews in so we can

» learn the true identity!

»

» Maybe this should be a sticky.

I have not received mine yet. Lisa told me it went out this week. I won't let it rest for 30 days and keep you boys waiting.

actually, to find out the identity, we'll have to wait for the pres to return. he did tell me and i am supposed to post but i was not paying attention and buggered if it can think of it. after what i thought, i think i mentally blocked it out.

» actually, to find out the identity, we'll have to wait for the pres to

» return. he did tell me and i am supposed to post but i was not paying

» attention and buggered if it can think of it. after what i thought, i

» think i mentally blocked it out.

I already revealed the identity:-D

» » actually, to find out the identity, we'll have to wait for the pres to

» » return. he did tell me and i am supposed to post but i was not paying

» » attention and buggered if it can think of it. after what i thought, i

» » think i mentally blocked it out.

»

» I already revealed the identity:-D

whilst i might have temporarily lost my memory, i am pretty sure that it was not a romeo anything. sorry to rain on the parade.

Just finished mine.

From the appearance (box pressed corona gorda), there were only a handful of cigars that this could be. This cigar had a somewhat thick, dark and rustic looking wrapper. I immediately got the impression that it had some age on it.

My sample appeared to be well constructed, but was extremely hard--almost as if it was made of solid wood. Not surprisingly, the draw was pretty tight. Nevertheless, upon lighting and taking a first puff, this cigar introduced itself as "The King of the World".

The first half of this cigar was quite enjoyable, and exhibited characteristic flavors of the marca. This cigar burned very slowly and evenly, with no coning whatsoever, again indicating some age. About midway, the cigar became very nondescript and boring. At one point, I even got the impression that I had just sucked on a dirty gym sock.:surprised: I performed a couple of lengthy purges which briefly improved things, but the magic was gone. I struggled to smoke another half inch and ended up setting it down.

Total smoking time was eighty-five minutes to ~2.5" remaining.

I am so confident about the identity of this cigar that I will even post the boxcode...

ERDM Gran Corona RPO AGO 01 :wink:

Probably not much need to go over old ground, Corona Gorda, box pressed, etc.

Wrapper was a medium brown of good construction.

The cigar was firm with some spongyness.

Smell at cold was grassy (cut hay).

Test draw after clipping indicated a firm draw which is not really my favourite.

First 3rd exhibited some harshness with an uneven burn with a woody taste. It did produce good volumes of smoke but this stick was not impressing me at this point.

Second third : The burn strated to correct itself and the harshness disappeared for a while and was producing a good firm grey ash. The flavour at this point could only be described as Cuban tobacco.

Last third: The burn has gone awry again requiring several touch ups. The harshness was back with a vengance and the stick was becoming most unpleasant.

Not sure what this was but reminded me of an RyJ I once had but from the postings above it appears as though RyJ Exhibicion #3 is not an option. Therefore, I am stumped as to its identity but would like to know what it is so I don't buy one.

I was actually happy to get close enough to the end of this smoke so I could lay it down.

Rob, thanks for allowing me to participate and hope to do so again sometime.

» Just finished mine.

»

» From the appearance (box pressed corona gorda), there were only a handful

» of cigars that this could be. This cigar had a somewhat thick, dark and

» rustic looking wrapper. I immediately got the impression that it had some

» age on it.

»

» My sample appeared to be well constructed, but was extremely hard--almost

» as if it was made of solid wood. Not surprisingly, the draw was pretty

» tight. Nevertheless, upon lighting and taking a first puff, this cigar

» introduced itself as "The King of the World".

»

» The first half of this cigar was quite enjoyable, and exhibited

» characteristic flavors of the marca. This cigar burned very slowly and

» evenly, with no coning whatsoever, again indicating some age. About

» midway, the cigar became very nondescript and boring. At one point, I

» even got the impression that I had just sucked on a dirty gym

» sock.:surprised: I performed a couple of lengthy purges which briefly

» improved things, but the magic was gone. I struggled to smoke another

» half inch and ended up setting it down.

»

» Total smoking time was eighty-five minutes to ~2.5" remaining.

»

» I am so confident about the identity of this cigar that I will even post

» the boxcode...

»

» ERDM Gran Corona RPO AGO 01 :wink:

Nicely done, Elliot. :ok:

However, I must disagree with your box code determination. In my experience, the "dirty gym socks" flavor notes tend to suggest the Holguin PUL or UPA codes.

Do try to be a bit more discerning next time, will you? :lookaround:

Wilkey

» Nicely done, Elliot. :ok:

»

» However, I must disagree with your box code determination. In my

» experience, the "dirty gym socks" flavor notes tend to suggest the Holguin

» PUL or UPA codes.

»

» Do try to be a bit more discerning next time, will you? :lookaround:

»

» Wilkey

Ah, ever the practical joker! You had me going there for a minute. I almost believed you that an ERDM could have been rolled at Holguin! (Of course this is simply untrue). Besides, Holguin rolled cigars have the distinctive taste of sweaty gym socks, which is altogether different from the taste of dirty gym socks. You'll need to do better and get your facts straight before you try to pull one over on me!:-P

» Looking forward to them !

Well, here I, Johnny come lately. I received this cigar a few weeks ago and wanted to let it rest at 62 humidity for a few weeks so here I am with the tasting results, finally.

I wish I could have a better post, however. The cigar smelled and looked great. Strong spicey smell and dark wrapper. After letting it sit, however, the smell pretty much went totally away.

It had a box press, was corona gorda sized, and heavy. It also felt firm, really hard, like my head as my wife would say. Not a good sign so far.

After lighting it, I did a double take because the flavor was very mild, I couldn't taste much at all. A few more hard tugs and nothing much changed. If I could describe it, the flavor was like paper and bread, good luck.

A few more puffs, the dang thing only burned about 1/2 inch in 30 minutes! Sorry Rob.

By the time the flavor kiced in a little, the thing was burning the back of my throat. It reminded my a little of a Partagas de Partagas I had a while back, but I cannot identify this creature with anything I have had in the past.

I gave my wife a drag and she looked puzzled, took a few more puffs and gave it back, "That's not good," she said. I tried a few more drags and after 45 minutes or so of total tasting chucked it into the tomato plants. You win some, you lose some.

Thanks for the opportunity, Rob. I hope these weren't too expensive.