PARTAGAS SERIE D NO.4

Here is my first review, I have been smoking cigars regularly for three years but mostly those that are not isom's. That being said I was privliged to receive this stick form a generous friend who is on the board and others (Seadub for those curious). For dinner I had just prepared a garlic infused rack of lamb with Barbera Sicilian olive oil and rosemary roasted potatoes. I love food and enjoy the balance and interplay of a well prepared meal. Cooking was once a living for me and I enjoy all things epicurean and consider myself a fair judge of flavor. That being said bear with me as my palate is still a bit underexperienced in the realm of the sweet leaf. While I was not able to discern all of the nuances of the tobacco, what I did notice above all else was the smoothness of this thick and meaty smoke. The ash was perfect and the burn was beyond compare. The start was smooth and clean with none of the sharpness of my other Dominican and Ecudorians. Halfway through I knocked the first ash and immediately there was a change to a slightly sweeter tasting draw. I continued on an could start to feel the tingle in my arms of the warm rush of a blissful cigar "buzz". I was extra greedy with this cigar and really "nubbed" it to the bitter end, and even then it was not bitter, just a bit sharper and more powerful on the final few draws. This will surely be one of the first to go into my humidor and was a perfect compliment, and in no way bullied, to the hearty and herbaceous lamb dinner.

Great review, Foxfire. You know, I think Chris must not like cigars. He keeps giving them all away. As to the PSD4, this is one of favorite cigars. I love the long finish of this cigar, and for me, it has the best ending of any cigar. A nubber every time.

I am a Partagás ***** bar none. For I have always enjoyed the flavors that hold up to any food or beverage and holds its own. The PSD4 has always been a stout, bold, in your face type of fuller bodied cigar that I have appreciated. It is earthy, has tones of rich leather, and the typical and classic sweet peppery spiciness of the Partagás marca. There is absolutely no comparison between a Cuban cigar and a Non-Cuban is the depth and complexity of flavors. You will always remember your first Cuban cigar, and your friend that shared it with you knew what cigar to choose to go with the fine meal that you had prepared.

Nice review! Though I've not had great luck with this cigar - yet, I'm due

for another try, and believe they'll come around for me.

I think Tampa smashed the nail with a sledge - Havanas just have a depth and

body that can't really be matched by NCs.

» There are those that say this cigar is but a shadow of its earlier

» production,and I agree to some extent.However,I still smoke on average a

» box per month! What does that tell you?

That you are also but a shadow of your former self? :surprised:

Nice review, foxfire. Keep them PSD4's burnin'...

For dinner I had just prepared a garlic infused rack of lamb with Barbera Sicilian olive oil and rosemary roasted potatoes

Damn....you can moderate our Recipe section :lol:

Guest cohiba

Nice review,

This was one of my first to be stocked on as well. I would encourage you to try a Cohiba Robusto also. Have fun

I managed to try another today. So much better than my first couple of

attempts. Showed lots of body, with leather and pepper the predominent

attributes.

Still youthfully sharp, and not fully developed, but not harsh or bitter.

I'll try another in about six months.

When I finally realize that these are a great cigar, I'll be out, will have to get

more, and will have to start the process all over again.

» For dinner I had just prepared a garlic infused rack of lamb with

» Barbera Sicilian olive oil and rosemary roasted potatoes

»

» Damn....you can moderate our Recipe section :lol:

LOL... but seriously: what would you have smoked with that food? Or say after that food :-P

Personally, the herbal side of this dish would made me tend more towards something like a Cuaba or Cohiba type cigar. Unless there was a strong Sicilian red wine involved (which it probably was :-D ;-))

Very nice review,

Thanks.

Defnately one of my go to cigars. I love the bold, "in your face" flavors of them young, but the rich complexity of a PSD#4 with age, is amazing.

A partagas short, was my first habana, and started me down the path. The PSD#4, finished the job.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

» Very nice review,

» Thanks.

» Defnately one of my go to cigars. I love the bold, "in your face" flavors

» of them young, but the rich complexity of a PSD#4 with age, is amazing.

» A partagas short, was my first habana, and started me down the path. The

» PSD#4, finished the job.

» Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

This was one of my first Habanos purchases, and i definately liked this cigar. Ive smoked almost all of my PSD stash, and have about 5 left i think. Im going to try to hold off on smoking them for a bit and see what a little age does to em.:-)

• 2 weeks later...