Bolivar Gold Medal Review

I received a Bolivar Gold Medal from my good mate Ray and for the past two months have failed to find an appropriate setting to enjoy this fine cigar. Well last SaturdayI did.

Sitting on the Jetty of Daydream Island, fishing rod resting next to me with line in the water, cold bourbon and cola in the other, sitting with legs dangling over the jetty facing the setting sun and Shute harbour.

I pulled the Boli GM from the top pocket, and gave it a cursory inspection. No hard or soft spots, perfect draw, deep colorado wrapper.

Smell at cold was a mix of sweet and savoury spice. Lighting the cigar with the trusty fishing flame thrower Iwas initially met with a white pepper bomb which quickly mellowed into sweet paprika spice. The cigar immediately reminded me of the Partagas P2 flavour profile and would continue to do so until the very end.

Medium bodied, smooth, balanced, sweet paprika mixed with a fresh double shot espresso edge. This cigar has some serious potential and in many ways it was a sin to consume it so early in its life cycle as if it lacked anything it lacked complexity which it will develop in spades.

Right now it is a akin to a thoroughbred colt at the million dollar sales. You can see the pedigree and potential and only wonder at how far it can go in the future.

I was expecting the Boli to go to seed in the last third with a bitter edge but it didn't. Right to the end it maintained it's composure and delivered the same flavour provile it started with. I nubbed it.

To Ray....thankyou mate :ok:

Shrink,

It had some elements of the Bolivar Corona Extra (see review in review section) but it also was suprisingly similar to the Partagas Serie P No 2 in flavour profile.

Unlike any other Boli I have experienced.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only smoked one, so far. I posted the following review elsewhere. As you can see, I am not of the opinion that these need a lot of age to be great cigars . . .

I grabbed a new Gold Medal, leashed up the dog and we headed out for a three-hilly-mile walk first thing this morning . . .

This cigar came from the darker and oilier of my 1.5 boxes. It was beautifully made; it was firmly rolled, with just the right draw resistance and it provided dense mouthfuls of flavorful smoke. Speaking of flavors, I'd say they were a balanced mix of pepper, earth, and plain tobacco, with a nice dose of VR-esque sweetness. I thought it was a very rich smoke, and a solid four (of five) in terms of strength -- though my impression could be biased by the circumstances in which I smoked it.

You vintage enthusiasts may call me a philistine, but I think these are smoking very nicely now. This cigar has less ammoniac harshness than some of my '01 Bolivars.

• 6 months later...

» Was this BGM from the limted release (Germany) or the aged discountinued

» line? :-)

I assumed all this was in referance to the re-release (doubt that word is in webster)?

Thanks for the review(s) -- sounds like the old; smoke one now and then and try to save a few for aging :yes:

» Was this BGM from the limted release (Germany) or the aged discountinued

» line? :-)

Based on the review, it has to be the Wolters commissioned version, box code either DIC 04 or FEB 05.

I smoked one of these in August, and I agree that, while it tasted great then, it has excellent potential for improvement with age. I didn't think it maintaint the same flavor profile throughout. For me the last third was typical Bolivar earth, while the first two thirds were more elegant, sweetness and cream.

• 1 month later...