How should one store leftover wine?

genevapics

If I open a bottle and do not consume but say half the bottle, how should I store the leftovers and for how long?

Red...

White...

Champagne... (okay... just kidding :-P)

Port... (not vintage or anything expensive, but a nice bottle, say 25-40 USD)

I was once told that the easiest, simpliest and maybe the best way to store leftovers (red or white) was just a simple Mason Jar (glass screw top). Any truth to this?

I have yet to discover a way to store an open bottle of wine that keeps it from deteriorating significantly in a day or two. The closest I have come is a gadget that you stick in the neck of the bottle and then pump out as much air as possible from the bottle.

Here's a link: http://www.stratsplace.com/rogov/salvaging_open_bottle.html

You can get far more expensive ones than mentioned on the linked site, but they don't work any better.

» If I open a bottle and do not consume but say half the bottle, how should I

» store the leftovers and for how long?

»

» Red...

»

»

» White...

»

»

» Champagne... (okay... just kidding :-P)

»

»

» Port... (not vintage or anything expensive, but a nice bottle, say 25-40

» USD)

»

»

» I was once told that the easiest, simpliest and maybe the best way to

» store leftovers (red or white) was just a simple Mason Jar (glass screw

» top). Any truth to this?

I either make sure to drink it all or just plan on using it for cooking. A nice red wine will really add depth to a marinara sauce and white wine will make any alfredo stand out.

» I either make sure to drink it all or just plan on using it for cooking.

» A nice red wine will really add depth to a marinara sauce and white wine

» will make any alfredo stand out.

Never thought of the white in the alfredo... then again I don't make alfredo that often. Thanks for the tip.

...one word.

SANGRIA!

1 Litre of red wine

2 oranges (juice - "naranjas de zumo")

4 peaches, cut into small pieces

5 desert spoons sugar

2 pieces of lemon skin

Steps:

1: Choose a red wine - Sangria is a refreshing drink and you don't need to use a vintage wine. We recommend a reasonably priced wine from Jumilla, Alicante or Valencia..... Put the wine into a jug, add the sugar, and stir until it is properly dissolved.

2: Squeeze the two oranges, and add the juice to the jug. Save a slice of orange skin to decorate.

3: Wash the peaches, peel them and cut them into small quarters (e.g. six per peach). Add them to the jug. If it is not Summer, you can use any other in-season fruit.

4: Put the jug into the fridge. Sangría should always be served chilled. If you want to reduce the alchohol concentration, add icecubes and slices of lemon. If you want to increase the alcohol concentration, add a small amount of cognac or rum.

» ...one word.

»

» SANGRIA!

»

»

»

» 1 Litre of red wine

» 2 oranges (juice - "naranjas de zumo")

» 4 peaches, cut into small pieces

» 5 desert spoons sugar

» 2 pieces of lemon skin

»

» Steps:

»

» 1: Choose a red wine - Sangria is a refreshing drink and you don't need to

» use a vintage wine. We recommend a reasonably priced wine from Jumilla,

» Alicante or Valencia..... Put the wine into a jug, add the sugar, and stir

» until it is properly dissolved.

»

» 2: Squeeze the two oranges, and add the juice to the jug. Save a slice of

» orange skin to decorate.

»

» 3: Wash the peaches, peel them and cut them into small quarters (e.g. six

» per peach). Add them to the jug. If it is not Summer, you can use any

» other in-season fruit.

»

» 4: Put the jug into the fridge. Sangría should always be served chilled.

» If you want to reduce the alchohol concentration, add icecubes and slices

» of lemon. If you want to increase the alcohol concentration, add a small

» amount of cognac or rum.

Sangria is just another reason why the rest of the world should bend over and kiss our Spanish asses.

champagne - do not believe the crap about the spoon in the bottle.

reds and whites - stick the cork back in and stick them in the fridge. then depending on your local temp, pull the reds out an hour before drinking. even better than a cork will be a screwcap bottle.

an even better idea is to have some half bottles and decant into them and put them in the fridge full so no problem with air contact. older wines may struggle with any of these methods but younger wines should last 2-3 days easy and some will do better.

tawny ports should give you a month or two once opened (vintage ports think similar to reds).

when i do tastings at home and have leftovers, i'll normally put the two or three best in the fridge for drinking over the next few days, depending on what is coming up. the rest, i have about two dozen screwcap dark bottles in the corner and i fill them to the brim and store and use for cooking or more often, making stock. i just put the vegie scraps etc in a plastic bag in the freezer than toss it all in a massive stock pot i have. then keep the stock in the fridge. far better is to toss in a frozen chook. use the meat for chicken salad etc and drain off all the liquid and bottle and put in the fridge. keep cold but the fat from the stock floats to the top and forms a perfect seal. keeps for ages, bird flu permitting. then when you use, the fat can be easily removed.

kbg

» Never heard of leftover wine:-D

I'm with the crew that thinks 75cl bottles are a single serving. In the rare instances I have leftover, I use the vacuum others have suggested and put the bottle in the fridge.

Ken. your tasting notes are now making more sense. Do you have a recipe

for Christmas fruitcake?

» or more often, making stock. i just put the vegie scraps etc in a

» plastic bag in the freezer than toss it all in a massive stock pot i have.

» then keep the stock in the fridge. far better is to toss in a frozen chook.

» use the meat for chicken salad etc and drain off all the liquid and bottle

» and put in the fridge. keep cold but the fat from the stock floats to the

» top and forms a perfect seal. keeps for ages, bird flu permitting. then

» when you use, the fat can be easily removed.

» kbg

I find the key to red and white wines is to remove as much air as possible. The vacuum pumps work but are not perfect. The approaches I have tried are...

-Filling a partially filled bottle with the large glass beads one finds used in floral arrangements to hold the stems. Add enough beads so the wine leaves no air gap at the top of the bottle..

-Pour the remaining wine in a smaller bottle so it is again filled to the point where there is no air gap when recorked

-Lastly, the best I have found are the small nitrogen systems which displace the wine with nitrogen through a dispensing head. In effect air never touches the wine so each pour is like that from a "fresh" bottle. This is a great device if, like me, you want to have a few wines available to drink or have a spouse who enjoys different types of wine. ( http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/details.as...%2DEF5B54AA0F03 )

• 2 weeks later...

» 3: Wash the peaches, peel them and cut them into small quarters (e.g. six

» per peach). Add them to the jug. If it is not Summer, you can use any

» other in-season fruit.

»

» 4: Put the jug into the fridge. Sangría should always be served chilled.

» If you want to reduce the alchohol concentration, add icecubes and slices

» of lemon. If you want to increase the alcohol concentration, add a small

» amount of cognac or rum.

OK, with the utmost respect for our beloved El P, and he knows I mean that sincerely, but did anyone else notice that when he quarters a small peach he gets SIX pieces!! :confused:

Amazing, simply amazing… not only do we have a distinguished Presidente, he’s a bloody David Copperfield to boot! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
...one word.

SANGRIA!

1 Litre of red wine

2 oranges (juice - "naranjas de zumo")

4 peaches, cut into small pieces

5 desert spoons sugar

2 pieces of lemon skin

Steps:

1: Choose a red wine - Sangria is a refreshing drink and you don't need to use a vintage wine. We recommend a reasonably priced wine from Jumilla, Alicante or Valencia..... Put the wine into a jug, add the sugar, and stir until it is properly dissolved.

2: Squeeze the two oranges, and add the juice to the jug. Save a slice of orange skin to decorate.

3: Wash the peaches, peel them and cut them into small quarters (e.g. six per peach). Add them to the jug. If it is not Summer, you can use any other in-season fruit.

4: Put the jug into the fridge. Sangría should always be served chilled. If you want to reduce the alchohol concentration, add icecubes and slices of lemon. If you want to increase the alcohol concentration, add a small amount of cognac or rum.

You do not use also Strawberry's and Apricots in sangria?

I do not put sugar ;-)