Killing two birds... Intro and review of RyJ PPEL 05

I'm new here. Site was recommended by a friend and I have to say I have enjoyed reading the posts so far.

First I'd like to say that I hate all of you bastards who live in sensible countries that can order whatever cigars you like, when you like with out fear of confiscation. Ok, hate is a strong word, but I envy you lucky bastards. ;-)

Next, I made a resolution to smoke more Havanas and I have the feeling that through the magic of credit cards and this site I should be able to make that come true this year, at the expense of my net worth.

Here's my thoughts on the RyJ PP EL 05;

I love this shape, a nice robusto sized smoke with the advantage of fitting the mouth nicely. Pyrabusto anyone? Robumid? The wrapper was a little flat with a bit of puckering. Otherwise well constructed with a nicely shaped head and cap. It snipped clean and the pre-light draw was excellent. I tasted tea and a pleasant grassy note.

On lighting I got nice mouthfuls of smoke from an open draw that wasn't too loose. My first impressions was roasted vegetables with the aforementioned grassy note underneath. It was a pleasant flavor, almost herbal.

After the first inch it settled into a woody taste with more of the vegetal flavors. It was a nice medium bodied smoke. As I puffed away I couldn't help but think that a year or two would round out the flavors nicely.

It finished with more of the same but was a bit harsh at the end. I definitely think these need some time in the box to round out the flavors and eliminate some of the rough finish.

I haven't tried all of the 2005 EL's but I liked this and will have to put some up and see how it is in a year or two.

» Welcome.

»

» The R&J Petite Pirimide EL has gone to seed. It will be interesting to see

» whether it is Sleeping Beauty who awakes or Ma Kettle.

It depends on how much you had to drink last night, and who you took home. I think the RyJ PP's stink.

BTW, welcome, "He who kills two birds with one stone". You are now in the distinguished company of those who "Hit on two birds while getting stoned".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...