$7,000 chair aka status symbol

https://www.businessinsider.com/rich-young-men-herman-miller-eames-chair-trend-2024-4

Would you?  Have you already?  

I admit, I have something similar - NOT that price point - in my home office. There it sits, in all its leathery glory.  On one side, a stack of books purely designed to make whomever peers into the office feel “less than.” On the other side, a guitar, because, you know, I am an artist too.  😂 

Reality:  it gets zero use.  My bachelor days are LONG GONE. It conveys nada, to no one. The books have dust on them, literally  The guitar is not tuned. There isn’t even a guitar pick in the room.  

I blame the kids, blah, blah   

I often think… one day, I’ll get to sit in it and read something, anything.  

In reality, it’s likely to be as unused in the future as it is currently. Time will tell.  

Anyway, read this article and thought, “oh lord, this is/was me.” 

Cheers and hope all are having a great weekend! 

• Like 2

Talking about status symbol we have here in France a famous publicist named Jacques Séguéla who said a few years back, "if by the time you're 50 you don't own a Rolex, you kinda wasted your life." 

At the time it made so much noise that his statement is still not forgotten to this day (here it isn't well perceived to talk about one's financial success, yet alone show it off...).

I think it is a shame because loving and owning pretty and valuable things isn't the same thing as showing off. I own a Yamaha C5 (demi-queue piano, worth a nice car) that's sitting in my living-room and I enjoy its sight and its sound every single day (although I must admit I can't play it to its potential as I'm still a below average piano player 😅).

I see people's reaction when they first come in my house but I didn't buy it for that and it annoys me a bit somehow.

Anyway, whatever your reason for buying it, you should enjoy your chair @Dr Process, I myself would love to have one as it's incredibly comfortable and beautiful 👍

• Like 2

@Li Bai I agree!  That piano is magnificent!  I unfortunately would fall into that annoying cohort that would be very impressed! 

In regards to my “throne”, I honestly can’t recall what was going through our heads (wife and mine) when we bought it.  We moved out of our apartment into our home and spending was, shall we say, “loose”.  

I must say, the chair does evoke “something” when I pass by it while peering into the office longingly.  It’s aspirational.  Maybe, one day… and all that.  

At the present time, my wife is working at the hospital - she’s an RN. I’m at home with the three monsters and certainly this is heavily shaping my “world view”. My world consisting of: Bluey, crayons, cursed Elmer’s glue, and maybe a drive to Starbucks with a symphony of screaming for McDonald’s, Cake pops from Starbucks, or both.  😂 

Cheers! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dr Process said:

@Li Bai I agree!  That piano is magnificent! I unfortunately would fall into that annoying cohort that would be very impressed! 

In regards to my “throne”, I honestly can’t recall what was going through our heads (wife and mine) when we bought it. We moved out of our apartment into our home and spending was, shall we say, “loose”.  

I must say, the chair does evoke “something” when I pass by it while peering into the office longingly. It’s aspirational. Maybe, one day…and all that.  

At present time, wife is working at the hospital - she’s an RN. I’m at home with the three monsters and certainly this is heavily shaping my “world view”. My world consisting of: Bluey, crayons, cursed Elmer’s glue, and maybe a drive to Starbucks with a symphony of screaming for McDonald’s, Cake pops from Starbucks, or both.  😂 

Cheers! 

Yeah I've been there my friend 😂 😂 🤣 

My wife is a high school teacher, I'm a therapist and when our kids were born, I decided to work part-time to take care of them so I feel you 😅 

That being said, I'm pretty positive you DESERVE that chair of yours! 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Li Bai said:

Yeah I've been there my friend 😂 😂 🤣 

My wife is a high school teacher, I'm a therapist and when our kids were born, I decided to work part-time to take care of them so I feel you 😅 

That being said, I'm pretty positive you DESERVE that chair of yours! 😉

Thank you!! 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr Process said:

. My world consisting of: Bluey, crayons, cursed Elmer’s glue, and maybe a drive to Starbucks with a symphony of screaming for McDonald’s, Cake pops from Starbucks, or both.  😂 

Cheers! 

That last Bluey (The Sign) was so good. Gave me a good cry too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Fezztone said:

This can’t be for real. Emily seems to be a feminist anti establishment type who’s only concerned about driving a divide between wealth and what her generation or specific group see as appropriate purchases. Why does she liken this piece of furniture to men? I guess women don’t buy Eames chairs? I’ve wanted one since I sat in my father’s when I was 10. I retired last year and it was my retirement gift that several people chipped in for as well as myself. Love it and it’s next to my record player and dusty books. Emily can come over and sit on the floor. Wait till she finds out how much Cuban cigars cost. 

Congrats on your retirement!  It really is a handsome chair.  

I have a knockoff that I purchased back when I was in the furniture industry. The lumbar support is a bit lacking, but it certainly looks great next to the tufted chesterfields in the living room.

As someone that sort of collects furniture, I can definitely say, “I get it.”  That particular chair, along with maybe some Rolexes and Chanel handbags is interesting as nothing changes in the design, but the price increases every year. Around 2010, decent used examples were all over Craigslist for 1500 because it was 3500 new. Now they are 7k and used ones are 4500. That chair’s value has outpaced the stock market.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 1:10 AM, Li Bai said:

I think it is a shame because loving and owning pretty and valuable things isn't the same thing as showing off. I own a Yamaha C5 (demi-queue piano, worth a nice car) that's sitting in my living-room and I enjoy its sight and its sound every single day (although I must admit I can't play it to its potential as I'm still a below average piano player 😅).

I grew up playing on a C5. Took piano lessons for over 13 years. It's from the late 70's and always in tune!

• Like 2

I have a HM Aeron chair in large for over 20 years.  Would like something different, but haven't found that office chair just yet. 

• Like 2

I don’t know anything about this chair, but in general, decent furniture is not cheap. I’m sure my wife has spent at least that amount on some of the chairs in my house and they aren’t even “status symbol” chairs. I think with furniture, you get what you pay for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I grew up playing on a C5. Took piano lessons for over 13 years. It's from the late 70's and always in tune!

That's an amazing piano, during COVID I couldn't have it tuned for around 3 years and it was still in tune when I could make the guy come. I love it although I slightly prefer the bass of German pianos, I still can't get over a Grotrian-Steinweg I played on several years before buying mine 😍😍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Li Bai said:

That's an amazing piano, during COVID I couldn't have it tuned for around 3 years and it was still in tune when I could make the guy come. I love it although I slightly prefer the bass of German pianos, I still can't get over a Grotrian-Steinweg I played on several years before buying mine 😍😍

Mason Hamlin is manufactured in my home state. They have a good bass to them. My uncle was a national acclaimed piano tuner and along with many family members that were real musicians going to New England Conservatory, etc. As much as I had to practice piano and all that; the music was not in me. Playing piano was like typing reading sheet music. All those years of practice I have nothing I could play you. My dad played jazz professionally for many years on the Vibes.

When I was young, I wanted to play like Liberace and still do! His performance were terrific by any measure. It's great on YouTube to see all the virtuosos playing at Van Cliburn and the like. My wife gets bored quickly watching them, but not me!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

When I was young, I wanted to play like Liberace and still do! His performance were terrific by any measure. It's great on YouTube to see all the virtuosos playing at Van Cliburn and the like. My wife gets bored quickly watching them, but not me!

I began learning the piano by the time I was 35 but I always wanted to, as far as I can remember. My parents were born in Portugal under Salazar's dictatorship and a musical education was never an option for their kids (I don't blame them, different times create different people).

I took lessons in the beginning but tbh the classic ways of my teacher began to kill all the fun so I quit after a year or so and kept on learning by myself...

Anyway I spend a lot of time watching virtuosos on YT too like Lang Lang, Khatia Buniatishvili (😍😍), YuJa Wang.... Oh and I could watch Victor Borge for hours, what an amazing discovery. 😂🤣

6 hours ago, Li Bai said:

I began learning the piano by the time I was 35 but I always wanted to, as far as I can remember. My parents were born in Portugal under Salazar's dictatorship and a musical education was never an option for their kids (I don't blame them, different times create different people).

I took lessons in the beginning but tbh the classic ways of my teacher began to kill all the fun so I quit after a year or so and kept on learning by myself...

Anyway I spend a lot of time watching virtuosos on YT too like Lang Lang, Khatia Buniatishvili (😍😍), YuJa Wang.... Oh and I could watch Victor Borge for hours, what an amazing discovery 😂🤣

I like Anna Fedorova's piano playing.