Metallica’s James Hetfield Expands Cigar Line With Drew Estate

We have a topic from last year where James Hetfield (from Metaliica of course) discusses his favourite cigars. Now he's expanding his cigar line in partnership with Drew Estate...

Metallica’s James Hetfield Expands Cigar Line With Drew Estate

Mar 19, 2024 By David Savona

hetfield3.jpg.c0da0e007b153aebb42fc564a2460e5c.jpg

James Hetfield smoking at Metallica headquarters during the interview and photo shoot for the March/April cover of Cigar Aficionado magazine (last year).

Metallica frontman James Hetfield is known for his powerful music, and his first cigar was full in body. Now, he’s releasing a follow up, and like a ballad this one is going to be far more easygoing than the opening act.

Blackened “S84 Shade To Black” by Drew Estate, cloaked in Connecticut shade, is ready to ship. The Nicaraguan-made cigar, formed in partnership between Hetfield, Jonathan Drew of Drew Estate and Rob Dietrich of Blackened Whiskey, comes in white boxes that draw a stark contrast to the original Blackened cigar, Blackened Cigars “M81.” That cigar launched in 2022, and one of its first tastings was the Las Vegas Big Smoke. The corona size went on to score 95 points and be named No. 7 Cigar of 2023 by Cigar Aficionado. 

shadetb3.jpg.bc7dfc6d0acb932f75247c8eadf2faa8.jpg

(Photo/Drew Estate)

Metallica fans will find the brand name a familiar take on a Metallica classic, and the number an important one in the band’s history. One of Metallica’s most popular songs is “Fade to Black,” a haunting melody about the pain of loss that begins soft and melodic and ends furious and hard. It appears on the 1984 album Ride the Lightning. 

“ ‘Shade to Black’ is more than just a cigar for us, it’s a celebration of passion and a tribute to the craftsman who strives for excellence,” said Hetfield, who appeared on the cover of the March/April 2023 issue of Cigar Aficionado. 

shadetb4.jpg.79cb538809318f8c9e83598d55f44821.jpg

(Photo/Drew Estate)

“It’s like a deep, dark, rich, Connecticut that’s smooth as silky velvet, plush with triple plushness,” said Drew.

The “Shade to Black” cigar is made with a blend that has some similarities to the first release, so under that shade wrapper is plenty of maduro tobacco. The binder is Connecticut broadleaf, and there is also Nicaraguan tobacco in the filler blend along with some Pennsylvania broadleaf.

shadetb2.jpg.1a9eb74f372e2029bd64cce71a113e12.jpg

(Photo/Drew Estate)

The cigar comes in boxes of 20 in the same size lineup as “M81,” with prices ranging from $9.15 to $10.35 per cigar. The Robusto measures 5 by 50, with a suggested retail price of $9.45; Toro is 6 by 52, $9.85; Corona Doble is 7 by 50 and sells for $10.35 and the Corona is 5 by 43, selling for $9.15. Unlike the original, which was only available to Drew Diplomat retailers, this new brand is being offered on a nationwide basis. 

Source: https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/metallica-s-james-hetfield-expands-cigar-line-with-drew-estate

• Like 1

I've grabbed two M81's from a friend. Haven't smoked one yet.  I'm a big Metallica fan.  It's interesting how Jame's has taken an interest in cigars. I think it was a way for him to cope with being sober.He had serious drinking issues right from the early days of Metallica.  There's lot of footage from the recent tour of him having a pre-show cigar or even puffing on one while playing!  I'm interesting in trying more of the line.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Puros Y Vino said:

I've grabbed two M81's from a friend. Haven't smoked one yet.  I'm a big Metallica fan.  It's interesting how Jame's has taken an interest in cigars. I think it was a way for him to cope with being sober.He had serious drinking issues right from the early days of Metallica.  There's lot of footage from the recent tour of him having a pre-show cigar or even puffing on one while playing!  I'm interesting in trying more of the line.

He also moved and left Kalifornia for Vail, Colorado. Smart man.😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCgarman said:

He also moved and left Kalifornia for Vail, Colorado. Smart man.😉

I saw him in Monterey CA where I live , eating tacos during the car week we have here. I wanted to offer him a real cigar but didn't have any.

• Like 1