When will we see mainstream fusion with AI happening?

Sort of a Black Mirror theme here... I think it's safe to say we are all simultaneously somewhat marvelling and reeling at the advance of AI at present. With our behaviour on Phones as a pointer, and the advent of things like Rabbit R1, Neuralink, Chat GPT, Sora, whatnot... I want to pose this question...

How long is it before we see an AI implant interface available to the masses purely as a lifestyle choice? I.e. Where a phone call/mouse-click/query/command is a simple thought. 

Also, will the marketing tagline be "Get yours now. It's a no-brainer!". ;)

There's no doubt articles abounding around this topic, but I'm shooting from the hip here. Do the same with your answer or post up some links you think worthy.

So... What year approx?... and (assuming you knew it to be completely safe) would you do it? 🤔

• Like 1

• MoeFOH changed the title to When will we see mainstream fusion with AI happening?

Would I? No. Not in my life time.

Regulation will mean this could take a very long time. I get your talking about an interface to the outside world. We've seen the beginnings already. But I expect regulation will kill anything in the short term. Especially when a misinterpretation of a 'thought' could have consequences.

Will be medical first I guess. And will be minute availability. Fur the rich only.

Damn it we regulated away my auto parking in my car! FFS!

• Like 1

I haven't even gotten laser eye surgery... So yeah.. not me.

To paraphrase Woody Allen my brain is my second favourite organ.

On the other hand you could do a lot of that from the outside via eye tracking and facial tracking.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Bijan said:

On the other hand you could do a lot of that from the outside via eye tracking and facial tracking.

Yep, which is the early Vision Pro sort of tech. But we're obviously not going to stop there. As @ha_banos said, legislation will be a big hurdle but the advances have some serious momentum, and I would not be surprised if this lands in a relatively short timeframe. 

I think we're further now than in the 80s.

Computers were slow so having a direct interface made more sense.

Michael Crighton had a novel the terminal man.

Now you can interface outside.

It will have to get to where it can have a very tight interface into the brain before it makes sense for those who are not somehow disabled.

Edit: seems that was novel is from the 70s

2 hours ago, ha_banos said:

Would I? No. Not in my life time.

Regulation will mean this could take a very long time. I get your talking about an interface to the outside world. We've seen the beginnings already. But I expect regulation will kill anything in the short term. Especially when a misinterpretation of a 'thought' could have consequences.

Will be medical first I guess. And will be minute availability. Fur the rich only.

Damn it we regulated away my auto parking in my car! FFS!

The concept of one "global" regulation (not that you are proposing it) is far fetched. Forthcoming EU regulation will likely be different to US let alone China, Oz, Brittain etal. 

I have little faith that regulation can be consistent in this realm. 

• Like 2

Are we talking about something different than Neuralink?  They just had their first human implant a week or so ago. Perhaps you’re referring to the next stage, where the AI is making the decisions and pointing the mouse for you??  I’d say it’s happening now….and I love the “completely safe” qualifier to your question!!  😂😂😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The concept of one "global" regulation (not that you are proposing it) is far fetched. Forthcoming EU regulation will likely be different to US let alone China, Oz, Brittain etal. 

I have little faith that regulation can be consistent in this realm. 

Oh for sure. Regulations will be wildly different. Chinese will be walking cyborgs while the EU will no doubt reintroduce the abacus.

20 hours ago, BigGuns said:

Are we talking about something different than Neuralink?  They just had their first human implant a week or so ago. Perhaps you’re referring to the next stage, where the AI is making the decisions and pointing the mouse for you??  I’d say it’s happening now….and I love the “completely safe” qualifier to your question!!  😂😂😂

Yeah, Mike, Neuralink or some evolution of same. I guess widespread phone-like usage numbers and choice of options etc is the stage I'm talking about. Basically where a thought or a verbal command connects to the AI via an implanted chip. Much like the movie Her, just replacing the headset with implants. 

"Completely safe" Haha... yeah, I guess I was just trying to remove impediments to the thought process of taking a guess on the timeframe. ;)

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:07 PM, BigGuns said:

This is somewhat already happening.

This ALS patient has a brain implant that translates his thoughts to computer commands

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/tech/brain-implant-als-patient-bci/index.html#:~:text=Mark%2C a Pennsylvania grandfather with,computer interface with the company.

• Like 1

Yeah, it sure feels like we’re already there and the time frame for it becoming more mainstream will directly correlate to that general acceptance of it being “completely safe” and, perhaps more importantly, one’s own definition of that term.

18 hours ago, BigGuns said:

Yeah, it sure feels like we’re already there and the time frame for it becoming more mainstream will directly correlate to that general acceptance of it being “completely safe” and, perhaps more importantly, one’s own definition of that term.

It may become mainstream as a medical treatment if it can significantly improve one's quality of life. I think i would do it in this scenario and beside no medical treatment is completely safe. I would not get an implant just to enhance something that's already working well though. 

• Like 1