Some decent size black cod here, Longlining in SE Alaska.

eaglebear29

On 2/26/2024 at 12:52 PM, Ford2112 said:

Smoked black cod is maybe the best there is!!

For sure!! Glad there's someone on here that's had it!

Have you had the collars before?

I love smoking the fillets, and taking the collars and brining them in a teriyaki sauce, those blackened are amazing as they're like fish bacon, very hard to overcook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 6:08 PM, eaglebear29 said:

For sure!! Glad there's someone on here that's had it!

Have you had the collars before?

I love smoking the fillets, and taking the collars and brining them in a teriyaki sauce, those blackened are amazing as they're like fish bacon, very hard to overcook.

Never had the collars but I bet they rock. Lots of oils in those fish but delicate. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:44 AM, Ford2112 said:
Never had the collars but I bet they rock. Lots of oils in those fish but delicate. 

Yeah these collars can be delicate as well, with even more oils than the fillets, so ya really gotta caramelize the outside teriyaki, so it’s not like under cooked bacon. I've had people, not fans of fish, that say it’s like juicy teriyaki chicken.

The fish plant usually just grinds them up and out to the water they go, but we request to have totes, with ice and the heads delivered back to us on our off time, or when the weather is too gnarly. Takes a little time but worth it when ya got a crew. Little tenderloins.

There always a staple here for when people come over, or just to pull out for the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 11:37 PM, eaglebear29 said:

Yeah these collars can be delicate as well, with even more oils than the fillets, so ya really gotta caramelize the outside teriyaki, so it’s not like under cooked bacon. I've had people, not fans of fish, that say it’s like juicy teriyaki chicken.

The fish plant usually just grinds them up and out to the water they go, but we request to have totes, with ice and the heads delivered back to us on our off time, or when the weather is too gnarly. Takes a little time but worth it when ya got a crew. Little tenderloins.

There always a staple here for when people come over, or just to pull out for the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@eaglebear29. Do you do any inland lake or river fishing in Alaska? I have never been there but have done several fly in lodge and canoe trips to the NWT and Nunavut above the Arctic Circle. Have landed 30 lb Lake Trout, loads of trophy Arctic Grayling and Northern Pike. Also fished the Tree River for huge Arctic Char which is the best tasting fish Ive eaten. I imagine there are Char in northern Alaska. We were going to do a canoe trip to the Kenai Peninsula one year but somehow we never made it! 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, KCCubano said:

@eaglebear29. Do you do any inland lake or river fishing in Alaska? I have never been there but have done several fly in lodge and canoe trips to the NWT and Nunavut above the Arctic Circle. Have landed 30 lb Lake Trout, loads of trophy Arctic Grayling and Northern Pike. Also fished the Tree River for huge Arctic Char which is the best tasting fish Ive eaten. I imagine there are Char in northern Alaska. We were going to do a canoe trip to the Kenai Peninsula one year but somehow we never made it! 

That's awesome, I'd love to try Arctic Char, have heard great things about it. Up in Barrow Ak, I've heard of friends getting them up there. I get to do a little sometimes in the offseason. Mainly by the mouths of the rivers, all along and up the rivers, and up in the lakes as well. Where I live in Southeast Alaska we get Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brook, and Dolley Varden Trout, and Sockeye Salmon up in the lakes. I've got some pretty steelhead but never on hook and line for me with the steelhead, just in a net salmon seining. Plenty of all of those around the rivers and at the mouths as well. I know there's tour companies here in Southeast that can fly you into a lake for the day with a guide. There's loads of lakes and cabins for the planes to fly into down here. I haven't done much fishing up North above the Arctic circle, I was hunting up there around Kiana which is close to Kotzebue (closest fly in town with the big planes is Nome). I definitely would love too, especially as I'm getting older, I'm trying to get more strategic about the "good and bad" fishing seasons and which ones are more consistent to pick so that I can have more time off for this kind of stuff but the grind and seas can be hard to run away from once its sucked you in. Most everywhere here in Southeast AK, if you wanna go to a more secluded place, you need to take a skiff there, then sometimes hike in, or have great fishing right there at the mouth of the river, getting salmon or Cutthroat and sometimes steelhead. (Yakutat is the steelhead hole)

If I were to recommend a place, while also keep in mind, being a little bias as, I'm related to half the town; would be Yakutat, in Southeast Alaska. Yakutat has beautiful white sand beaches as far as the eye can see. A great place for fishing on the Lost, Dangerous, and Situk Rivers. Beautiful cabins. Good fishing in town, and if you get a float plane to an out of town river or even go on a boat to fish the waters right out front. I wish I could help ya out with more info about up North. I've only been a few times and not for fishing, so not my expertise. If ya haven't been, this place is the place to go, the most beautiful scenery and the best fishing.

My favorite thing about that place, is the diversity of Northern and Southern Alaskas animals all meeting in one place. This is the best place in Alaska where you're gonna get it all, or at least in my opinion, the most in one place. You Sitka Blacktail deer, too Moose, Brown, Black, and Glacier Bear. Lynx, wolverine, wolves, ducks, and Salmon, with all kinds of fish and a great place for steelhead fishing. I know this is a sports fisherman's paradise, heck its an outdoorsman paradise especially if you rent a vehicle, ATV, or UTV. Some of the best surfers in the world go here as well. If you love the outdoors this place is a must visit. 

Sorry for the long write up, I just felt this amazing place needs the credit it deserves. Yakutat man, that's where I'd go fishing for some salmon, halibut, blackcod, lingcod or steelhead.

I've been going there my whole life and it never disappoints, whether it be hunting or slaying the humungo hook nose sockeye out front, this place will have you coming back. 

We eat Arctic Char a few times a month. It’s available at a high end local fish market and is a better value than wild salmon. By a lot. It is much like salmon, oily and flavorful and is great on a hot grill. Good stuff.

4 hours ago, joeypots said:

We eat Arctic Char a few times a month. It’s available at a high end local fish market and is a better value than wild salmon. By a lot.  It is much like salmon, oily and flavorful and is great on a hot grill. Good stuff.

Its just superb caught fresh out of ice cold Arctic Rivers. 

• Like 1

My buddy lived in Kodiak for years commercial fishing. The Tsiu for silvers is a bucket list. Man I need to get up and fish the Situk one of these years. It's loaded. With fish and people 😂

21 hours ago, eaglebear29 said:

That's awesome, I'd love to try Arctic Char, have heard great things about it. Up in Barrow Ak, I've heard of friends getting them up there. I get to do a little sometimes in the offseason. Mainly by the mouths of the rivers, all along and up the rivers, and up in the lakes as well. Where I live in Southeast Alaska we get Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brook, and Dolley Varden Trout, and Sockeye Salmon up in the lakes. I've got some pretty steelhead but never on hook and line for me with the steelhead, just in a net salmon seining. Plenty of all of those around the rivers and at the mouths as well. I know there's tour companies here in Southeast that can fly you into a lake for the day with a guide. There's loads of lakes and cabins for the planes to fly into down here. I haven't done much fishing up North above the Arctic circle, I was hunting up there around Kiana which is close to Kotzebue (closest fly in town with the big planes is Nome). I definitely would love too, especially as I'm getting older, I'm trying to get more strategic about the "good and bad" fishing seasons and which ones are more consistent to pick so that I can have more time off for this kind of stuff but the grind and seas can be hard to run away from once its sucked you in. Most everywhere here in Southeast AK, if you wanna go to a more secluded place, you need to take a skiff there, then sometimes hike in, or have great fishing right there at the mouth of the river, getting salmon or Cutthroat and sometimes steelhead. (Yakutat is the steelhead hole)

If I were to recommend a place, while also keep in mind, being a little bias as, I'm related to half the town; would be Yakutat, in Southeast Alaska. Yakutat has beautiful white sand beaches as far as the eye can see. A great place for fishing on the Lost, Dangerous, and Situk Rivers. Beautiful cabins. Good fishing in town, and if you get a float plane to an out of town river or even go on a boat to fish the waters right out front. I wish I could help ya out with more info about up North. I've only been a few times and not for fishing, so not my expertise. If ya haven't been, this place is the place to go, the most beautiful scenery and the best fishing.

My favorite thing about that place, is the diversity of Northern and Southern Alaskas animals all meeting in one place. This is the best place in Alaska where you're gonna get it all, or at least in my opinion, the most in one place. You Sitka Blacktail deer, too Moose, Brown, Black, and Glacier Bear. Lynx, wolverine, wolves, ducks, and Salmon, with all kinds of fish and a great place for steelhead fishing. I know this is a sports fisherman's paradise, heck its an outdoorsman paradise especially if you rent a vehicle, ATV, or UTV. Some of the best surfers in the world go here as well. If you love the outdoors this place is a must visit. 

Sorry for the long write up, I just felt this amazing place needs the credit it deserves. Yakutat man, that's where I'd go fishing for some salmon, halibut, blackcod, lingcod or steelhead.

I've been going there my whole life and it never disappoints, whether it be hunting or slaying the humungo hook nose sockeye out front, this place will have you coming back. 

Lots of wildlife in the far north. I have seen Barrenland Grizzly, Arctic Wolves, Musk Oxen and one year on the Thelon River in the Nunavut we witnessed 10k Caribou crossing the river. No sign of people though! 

Back in the mid 90s my father booked a trip out of Whitehorse to helicopter into a Yukon base camp to fish Dolly Varden and a few other species. He became ill so had to cancel. Closest I came to your neck of the woods! 

On 3/5/2024 at 11:12 AM, Ford2112 said:

My buddy lived in Kodiak for years commercial fishing. The Tsiu for silvers is a bucket list. Man I need to get up and fish the Situk one of these years. It's loaded. With fish and people 😂

That's awesome, not many know of the Tsiu! Still have never been myself, on my bucket list as well.  My cousins have some of the only permits to commercial fish the river with nets, and one of my dads commercial boats I grew up working on is called the Tsiu; beautiful salmon seiner/golden king crabber/longliner. I'd follow my dad into a storm, they even call him the dog whisperer 😂 cause we just slay the dog salmon on that boat. That man will get us crazy sets where we've literally had to try to avoid the fish they were so thick.

Yeah the Situk is crazy wild, always changing and seems completely different every time I go back! That place is really cool after a 10 year storm!

IMG_4194.jpeg.bf63c558cb89a689c73eca8367b846f7.jpeg

Here's a photo of us in Crawfish inlet on F/V Patriot, filled up and deck loaded with dogs last September, offloading for the second time that day. This place has great hunting as well for Sitka Blacktail deer, there's Mtn. Goats you'll see at the top too with the binos.

IMG_4177.jpeg.b0fcdafdca5dccc257ede30480bea3d3.jpeg

IMG_4178.jpeg.794b975f8bee0ee421063a4eaa2179b5.jpeg

On 3/5/2024 at 12:08 PM, KCCubano said:

Lots of wildlife in the far north. I have seen Barrenland Grizzly, Arctic Wolves, Musk Oxen and one year on the Thelon River in the Nunavut we witnessed 10k Caribou crossing the river. No sign of people though! 

Back in the mid 90s my father booked a trip out of Whitehorse to helicoptor into a Yukon base camp to fish Dolly Varden and a few other species. He became ill so had to cancel. Closest I came to your neck of the woods! 

Yeah I love it up here! So much vast area to adventure! Yeah the caribou sighting is something crazy isn't it. I got to go hunting some with some friends up there and it was wild. Its like the American Serengeti when they all roll over the hills! 

Sorry to hear about your dad and you guys not getting to go. Now it just sounds like to me you definitely got to come check it out!

Great to see some excellent Sablefish (what they call Black Cod at my old Fishmonger on Vancouver Island). It was the favourite fish for both my wife and I when we lived in Victoria - fantastic flavour, oily but not too oily - you couldn't over cook it if you tried! Difficult to find for us now here in Ottawa, but when we find it, we buy it!

Finest at Sea was our source in Victoria, to my knowledge they caught them off the shores of the Queen Charlottes (Haida Gwaii).

Love it, cheers mate!