Stemming from a post about my recent acoustic guitar purchase was evidence that there's more than a few FOHers who suffer the same sickness as me. :D

So, starting this thread up for us to populate with anything that's of general interest on the theme: your guitars, guitars of interest, songs to play/learn, industry news, new models, etc and so forth... 

Chip in if you so desire! 

• Like 2

Kicking this off with the current obsession (one of many) for these guys: Lowden. 

The Bog Oak models are of particular interest. I love Ireland, so there's that, but I also love this manufacturer and the concept of this tonewood. I'm enamoured by the story, like a sinker wood, where the natural process, by accident or whatnot, has made the wood something incredible for the purpose. Along with the fact that it's largely an unused resource and exists in a limited supply. One of these would be something pretty special to own and hold on to, pass on down the years. You only need around $10k to secure one. 😳

35_bo_as_front.jpg

Back in the ‘80’s a practicing scuba diver found a bunch of maple logs that had been submerged in Lake Superior near Duluth Minnesota.

Eric Clapton among many others had guitars made from those logs. Back then, the submerged find was said to be worth over $100 million.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Back then, the submerged find was said to be worth over $100 million

I'd believe it. The sinker redwood I know about today is outstanding as a guitar top, and ratchets the price up heftily. 

I only get to play for an hour or two per week these days...and too much of that time is spent tinkering with all of the different guitar related toys I own to experiment with different sounds.

My playing is ok...sloppy...haphazard...one dimensionalbut I have fun with it and the hobby has really taken up a huge gap from the disinterest I have in acquiring new cigars.  But that another story told millions of times over since the price hikes.

I play electric guitars...my old faithful is an Ibanez S540 custom that I picked up in 1991...but I also have a Flying V that I love as well as a Les Paul...Kramer Stagemaster 1 and an ESP LTD Gary Holt model round out my axes.

For gear I play through an EVH 5150 III with 6L6 tubes..its a 50 watt combo...crazy loud.  I also have a Friedman IRX unit as well as a Tonex pedal for modeling stuff...those I play through a headrush FRFR. I have too many pedals to count...but some of my favorites are my old Boss SD1...MXR phase 90...and the much maligned metal zone.  I use the metal zone through the effects loop of my 5150...and it sounds KILLER ( to me at least).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GoodStix said:

Best advice I can share is: never stop playing.  I’ve played on and off for about 50 years.  These days rarely.  Used to be an extremely important part of my life.  Over time acquired and still own a few high end guitars.  But now they mainly gather dust.  It’s sad actually.  Allowed life/work to get in the way.  It’s a perishable skill.  So later you pick your axe up again, and you can’t play like you could.  And you can’t remember how to play songs/riffs/leads you’d nailed and knew solid.  So you find you’re not enjoying it like you did. So you don’t make the time again for awhile.  Then you try playing again.  But you can’t play like you could.  And it’s harder as you age.  And you’re not enjoying your playing like you used to.  Repeat.  You get the idea.  In short, keep playing.  Make the time.  Never stop.  Never.  Just my two cents.  Enjoy 🙂

100%. I used to play in a band. Loved it. Gibson SG, Les Paul, Mesa Boogie head and cab. Haven't played in years. When I do I'm shit. I miss it. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GoodStix said:

Best advice I can share is: never stop playing.  I’ve played on and off for about 50 years.  These days rarely.  Used to be an extremely important part of my life.  Over time acquired and still own a few high end guitars.  But now they mainly gather dust.  It’s sad actually.  Allowed life/work to get in the way.  It’s a perishable skill.  So later you pick your axe up again, and you can’t play like you could.  And you can’t remember how to play songs/riffs/leads you’d nailed and knew solid.  So you find you’re not enjoying it like you did. So you don’t make the time again for awhile.  Then you try playing again.  But you can’t play like you could.  And it’s harder as you age.  And you’re not enjoying your playing like you used to.  Repeat.  You get the idea.  In short, keep playing.  Make the time.  Never stop.  Never.  Just my two cents.  Enjoy 🙂

Excellent advice. Have gone down the same path. Hoping to avoid the same mistake. Right now, it's a real zen thing for me and I'm doing my best to preserve that by setting aside having too many goals and not being worried about the inevitable plateau. Just make slow progress and enjoy it for what it is. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

We should form a band. :D

I’ve often wondered about the reality of a “Virtual Band” website, where someone could put up a rough song idea and other members could edit/contribute. Surely in the 21st century this would be possible?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I’ve often wondered about the reality of a “Virtual Band” website, where someone could put up a rough song idea and other members could edit/contribute. Surely in the 21st century this would be possible?

All I can say is I'd definitely have the "rough" part of it well covered. :D

I’m not even half kidding on this. I’ve got maybe 100/200 songs half finished (3 of them might be good) that I’d have fleshed out 30 years ago when I was still playing. I’m going to visit my brother in Austin, Tx. in April and bringing a couple to work thru. Would be fun to have input from around the planet. Gotta be possible? 🤔

• Like 4

On 1/6/2024 at 1:28 AM, mbflash80 said:

My playing is ok...sloppy...haphazard...one dimensional

Same here, except I’ve expanded my sloppy haphazard playing across multiple dimensions - sometimes when I butcher riffs across enough musical styles, it feels like I’m butchering the entire time-space continuum!

I’ve played off and on since I was a kid, but never with enough dedication to *really* get good.  Did some “battle of the bands” type stuff and open mic nights along the way and was always happy with the results, but always knew that I was lacking a lot of skills that seemed to come effortlessly to better players.  Now that I’m a single parent in my mid 40’s and bald on top, I recently decided it was time for a mid-life crisis, and my guitar collection is now vastly improved as a result.  (My skills, only moderately so - but even just noodling around like I normally do has helped me bridge some of the aforementioned dimensions).  And most of all, it’s just fun!

On 1/6/2024 at 11:47 AM, Chas.Alpha said:

I’m not even half kidding on this. I’ve got maybe 100/200 songs half finished (3 of them might be good) that I’d have fleshed out 30 years ago when I was still playing. I’m going to visit my brother in Austin, Tx. in April and bringing a couple to work thru. Would be fun to have input from around the planet. Gotta be possible? 🤔

On the cigar forum that was my “home on the internet” for a long time before I lost my login and got too busy with work to worry about it, there was a guy who did a cover of Metallica’s Creeping Death entirely online with a group of musicians from around the world - I understand that it was quite an undertaking to put it all together (recording, re-recording, mixing it all together) but it sounded great - so yes, it can definitely be done.  And, I think there are people recording and posting their original stuff on Reddit, and inviting people to record over their stuff with their own jams.  I know very little about recording so idk how you’d go about it, but if you end up laying down some jam tracks or something, that could be a lot of fun…

If anyone wanted to put together some decent music, don't have my playing on the recording !🤣 My Guitar has great tone (tele) and I love playing riffs!

3 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

don't have my playing on the recording !🤣

Same here... although I've read that many live performers can shit the bed a bit when the recording mic gets switched on... maybe it would work in reverse for me and I'd sound good, not stuff up... 🤔 :D

• Haha 1

Anyone have or used one of these Spark practice amps? I only just recently found about them... they look pretty amazing as a portable little coffee table/desktop practice unit with the app, tone library, etc... Interested to know other's thoughts/experiences. 

Regarding maple, I’ve been a Brazilian rosewood snob my entire guitar obsessing career but recently had my eyes opened to maple. I always thought of it more as an archtop wood but I’ve been loving my recent Murphy Lab maple SJ200. Warm, crisp and loud, I’m a maple lover now! These Murphy Lab guitars are aged (finish checked, fretboard edges rolled etc) which is a whole other debate but I am very happy with it. Sounds like an old Gibson with the torrified top and I’m convinced the thin, cracked finish contributes to a looser, more vintage tone.

3ebb94208bf7a0e2439f416b9aa32d77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 9:51 AM, MoeFOH said:

I'm doing my best to preserve that by setting aside having too many goals and not being worried about the inevitable plateau. Just make slow progress and enjoy it for what it is. 

Jesus......you are still talking guitars right? 

6 hours ago, Bords said:

I’m a maple lover now!

Brilliant. And that's a stunning SJ200! Love it. My jury is somewhat still out on the whole faded/aged thing. Torrified tops, completely on board with that. Just the aged aesthetics I'm not sure 100% on. Guess the one real benefit is your immediately less "precious" with it! Not so worried over any minor knock etc. 

Yeah, have a keen eye on some Maple guitars Taylor do. The American Dream model and there's a custom 12-fret with a sitka top that also looks and sounds amazing. 

It's all good to see these manufacturers getting on board with re-voicing it, because maple is such a beautiful wood.