Glenn Maxwell is officially a FREAK!!!

JohnS

How else does one explain the title? I mean why don't we all try to fall off a golf cart in our spare time, undergo concussion protocols for a week, come back in the next game in a World Cup and proceed to hit a Double Century coming in at number six!

Seriously?

And to top this all off, it was done with back spasms and cramps. I saw the highlights this morning. I saw golf and tennis shots on a cricket field going continually for six, over the stands!

It's just not possible.

I thought I had seen everything in cricket in my life....but I haven't!

@Ken Gargett, @MoeFOH, @westg...please catch some extended highlights when you can to reassure that I wasn't dreaming when I composed this post! 😂

• Like 3

That's nuts!!... Haven't seen the highlights but will catch-up later this morning. Hitting a double-tonne at #6 would've been something I only thought the likes of Gilly being capable of. Calibre of the opposition has to be noted, of course. But still a crazy feat, with all things considered. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JohnS said:

How else does one explain the title? I mean why don't we all try to fall off a golf cart in our spare time, undergo concussion protocols for a week, come back in the next game in a World Cup and proceed to hit a Double Century coming in at number six!

Seriously?

And to top this all off, it was done with back spasms and cramps. I saw the highlights this morning. I saw golf and tennis shots on a cricket field going continually for six, over the stands!

It's just not possible.

I thought I had seen everything in cricket in my life....but I haven't!

@Ken Gargett, @MoeFOH, @westg...please catch some extended highlights when you can to reassure that I wasn't dreaming when I composed this post! 😂

john, when i stop watching at night, i set the tape and watch the rest first thing next morning, without knowing scores or anything. so i have just watched it. i had goosebumps by the end. it is truly the most extraordinary thing i have ever seen in sport.

we were very ordinary in bowling to Afghanistan - they got way more than they should have. then we were dire in batting. 7-91, so still needing over 200 with maxwell and a couple of bowlers. maxwell dropped off a sitter and was half way off for an lbw appeal that looked plum but shown as going a fraction over. starc had already not reviewed a catch behind that he didn't hit but which flicked the stumps. and he walked, looking puzzled. not the brightest bulb! 

from around 90 or 100, maxwell could not walk. he hobbled a few slow singles but mostly couldn't. but not only that, he could not move his feet. no footwork at all. planted them and went nuts. it is simply not possible. all the commentators talking about the greatest thing seen on a cricket field, never seen anything like it. 

in a one day game, cummins had 12 off 68 - normally that would be appalling. 12 runs in a partnership of over 200. i have never seen the like of it. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

That's nuts!!... Haven't seen the highlights but will catch-up later this morning. Hitting a double-tonne at #6 would've been something I only thought the likes of Gilly being capable of. Calibre of the opposition has to be noted, of course. But still a crazy feat, with all things considered. 

one thing, Moe, don't dismiss Afghanistan. yes, history would suggest that they are of poor calibre but this tournament, they have proved they are a serious side. they had us 7-91 so no mugs. and people already seem to have forgotten that maxwell came in on a hattrick ball and it was reviewed to see if he was out lbw. as it happened, it was a terrific ball and maxwell got the faintest edge. otherwise it would have knocked the stumps over and today we would be discussing how bad we were. then having got an edge, the ball fell short of the keeper. he certainly had some luck. very easily could have been a first ball duck, not 200. and had that happened, Afghanistan would be in the top four with just one game to go. not a bad effort. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

one thing, Moe, don't dismiss Afghanistan. yes, history would suggest that they are of poor calibre but this tournament, they have proved they are a serious side. they had us 7-91 so no mugs. and people already seem to have forgotten that maxwell came in on a hattrick ball and it was reviewed to see if he was out lbw. as it happened, it was a terrific ball and maxwell got the faintest edge. otherwise it would have knocked the stumps over and today we would be discussing how bad we were. then having got an edge, the ball fell short of the keeper. he certainly had some luck. very easily could have been a first ball duck, not 200. and had that happened, Afghanistan would be in the top four with just one game to go. not a bad effort. 

Fair enough, Ken... not diminishing the feat itself... pretty amazing against any opposition. But there's no denying you'd prefer it on your CV as against an England or an India et al... but maybe time will enhance their cred. We'll see. But again, it's remarkable regardless. 

• Like 2

It was very entertaining as was his last knock smashing the quickest OD century ever . I think we were 7/ 71 and all but done ...and then the Big Show put on a master class. Plenty of talk today across sport channels and my local 93.1 sport talk back as to whether that was the best innings ever . Across all formats. The most entertaining for sure . Ken Afghanistan's top order are actually very good. The bowling attack they had 3 or 4 spinners so I am not sure ....certainly one of the very best ODI knocks ever. That said I think when we were in a very similar situation against Sth Africa with a formidable attack in 2003 ? Or 99. Steve Waugh's innings of just over a hundred to win that game was all class guts fight and determination.  You just dropped the world cup game.  Last night that was one extraordinary innings from a batsman having the time of his life and by his own admission cramping in his big toes. Yes he was completely exhausted from belting the living christ out every ball coming his way.  He was dropped on 33 and survived a border line LBW but thats how he rolls...make any mistake with him and he will make you pay.  Who ever was at that stadium last night will talk about that innings for the rest of there lives 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westg said:

It was very entertaining as was his last knock smashing the quickest OD century ever . I think we were 7/ 71 and all but done ...and then the Big Show put on a master class. Plenty of talk today across sport channels and my local 93.1 sport talk back as to whether that was the best innings ever . Across all formats. The most entertaining for sure . Ken Afghanistan's top order are actually very good. The bowling attack they had 3 or 4 spinners so I am not sure ....certainly one of the very best ODI knocks ever. That said I think when we were in a very similar situation against Sth Africa with a formidable attack in 2003 ? Or 99. Steve Waugh's innings of just over a hundred to win that game was all class guts fight and determination.  You just dropped the world cup game.  Last night that was one extraordinary innings from a batsman having the time of his life and by his own admission cramping in his big toes. Yes he was completely exhausted from belting the living christ out every ball coming his way.  He was dropped on 33 and survived a border line LBW but thats how he rolls...make any mistake with him and he will make you pay.  Who ever was at that stadium last night will talk about that innings for the rest of there lives 

westie, it was extraordinary watching it.

the steve Waugh, dropped the world cup innings was in 1999. was not even the semi. just a general super six game though if we'd lost, we were in strife. chasing 270 odd? Waugh came in at 3 down for 40 or 50. so again a long way to go. i remember sitting there all night on the edge of my seat. ponting got a good score as well and bevan got some, and we won by five wickets i think. 

then we had the famous tie in the semi.

we were crap, about 210 ish? looked like we were stuffed. then Warnie just seemed to decide bugger this, i'm not losing to these guys and pulled out one of his greatest spells. four wickets. he knocked over gibbs, cronje, Kallis and Kirsten and Cullinan was so mentally overrun he ran himself out. they had 3 or 4 run outs in the chaos, i think. i remember being worried about who'd get a wicket after Warnie finished his spell. thank god for run outs. that last over chaos and confusion was extraordinary. amazing that it was the last over chasing 210 or thereabouts. shows how rates have improved. the last ball of the innings runout was such drama. Kluesner needed 9 off the last over i think. whacked the first two for four. we nearly got a run out on the third and then they went into chaos on the fourth ball, Kluesner calling and running, Donald not hearing him, the ball going to one end then the other. because it was a tie, we advanced on run rate, which i think was just two balls out of fifty overs. 

like last night, you could not make it up.

Waugh undoubtedly faced a tougher attack but had more time and more support than maxwell. and maxwell got nearly twice the runs and did so on no legs. just wow!

• Like 1