East coast Bucket List

Ford2112

Shoolies. Meh.

Striped bass migrate in the waters where I live on Cape Cod. Many record fish were caught here. Schools of bass, like the one in the video, weighing 20 to 40 lbs, could be found close to shore and throwing live eels or sand eels during a blitz could give a fisherman the time of his life.  A day before a good storm hit I have waded in shallow water a couple of times when the tide, water temperature, and air pressure collided and the bass were finning, standing on their heads sucking bait out of the sand, tails in the air. Apparently the fish know the storm is coming and the gorge. Standing in three feet of water and having 30" to 50”+ fish swimming around my legs, the bass can be in such a frenzy they will hit almost anything presented. It’s a tragedy that the population of seals mushroomed in the last 20 years. If you hook a striper it is almost certain a seal will take it off of your line. It’s so bad the most of the bait shops are closed here and the once epic fall striped bass season on the outer beech here is all but gone. The fish literally do not seem to come close enough to shore to be snagged. A whole slice of the fall economy here is gone. Here’s one of my old pics of a medium sized bass caught with sand eels I raked myself and caught in the waves in Orleans  Massachusetts.

image.jpeg.6187cc3d628c6d2366492113667eaa8f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:39 AM, joeypots said:

Shoolies. Meh.

Striped bass migrate in the waters where I live on Cape Cod. Many record fish were caught here. Schools of bass, like the one in the video, weighing 20 to 40 lbs, could be found close to shore and throwing live eels or sand eels during a blitz could give a fisherman the time of his life.  A day before a good storm hit I have waded in shallow water a couple of times when the tide, water temperature, and air pressure collided and the bass were finning, standing on their heads sucking bait out of the sand, tails in the air. Apparently the fish know the storm is coming and the gorge. Standing in three feet of water and having 30" to 50”+ fish swimming around my legs, the bass can be in such a frenzy they will hit almost anything presented. It’s a tragedy that the population of seals mushroomed in the last 20 years. If you hook a striper it is almost certain a seal will take it off of your line. It’s so bad the most of the bait shops are closed here and the once epic fall striped bass season on the outer beech here is all but gone. The fish literally do not seem to come close enough to shore to be snagged. A whole slice of the fall economy here is gone. Here’s one of my old pics of a medium sized bass caught with sand eels I raked myself and caught in the waves in Orleans  Massachusetts.

Well then, take me fishing!