the annual Darwin awards

15 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street by sucking on a hose, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had and the perp had been punished enough!

This story has been around for a while, which means the Darwin awards keeps running it or it keeps happening. My money is on the latter. 

5 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

This story has been around for a while, which means the Darwin awards keeps running it or it keeps happening. My money is on the latter. 

by chance, someone we all know (no names) told the funniest story about sucking petrol (and why he was doing it). i still get the giggles years later. so i expect it does happen. i also suspect that these do get collected and passed around regularly. 

my fave was the idiot robber who identified his victim. priceless. 

23 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly. He decided that he'd just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So, he lifted the cinder block and heaved it over his head at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the would-be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of Plexiglas. The whole event was caught on videotape.

Something similar.

• Haha 4

sorry to say but the story is fake

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-sep-18-me-only18-story.html

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/2005-darwin-awards/

Entry #1, about a robber who peered down the barrel of a misfiring gun, appears almost precisely word-for-word in a Bill Bryson compilation of items supposed culled from the newspapers (but alas, said items undated and unsourced, which makes locating the original news stories behind each item problematic). While the Bryson entry at least provides a sense of how old this tale is, in that the book it appeared in was published in 1982, before that print sighting is taken as proof of the tale's veracity, it needs to be pointed out that said compilation contains the following urban legends likewise presented as "This is true" tales:

but if something like that happen id feel sorry for the attendant, one min you are working some guy walks in pulls a gun on you and it doesn't work then you witness someone blowing out their brains.... thats the type of stuff that can haunt you for years

• Like 1