NCAA Basketball Championship Week and Tournament thread

jakebarnes

I can't be the only rabid college basketball fan on this site. We're officially in March--the best time of year for this sport (and perhaps the gambling that goes with it). All the conference tournaments are in full swing. Some hearts are already broken in the early stages of their respective conference tournaments--some hopeful would-be cinderella's looking to carve out a place in the Big Dance.

Who do you root for? Who do you think is going to do some damage come tournament time? What's got you most excited about this postseason?

Personally--I am a Marquette fan. Shaka Smart has been a breath of fresh air to a very hungry fanbase after 7 long years of mediocrity under the previous regime. Really gets a lot out of his players. Hoping for win or two in the tourney to "get right" and back to at least the level of the 2003-2013 era--consistently fighting for a s16 or more. 

I went to Arkansas so pulling for Hogs. Been a tough year with crucial injuries. Also am a Kansas fan as family has had season tix for 25 yrs. Sister went to Drake in the MVC and they are in the big dance as well. Should be interesting. Given transfer portal rules etc it seems like more parity than ever before. Will this be the year a mid major cuts down the net?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KCCubano said:

I went to Arkansas so pulling for Hogs. Been a tough year with crucial injuries. Also am a Kansas fan as family has had season tix for 25 yrs. Sister went to Drake in the MVC and they are in the big dance as well. Should be interesting. Given transfer portal rules etc it seems like more parity than ever before. Will this be the year a mid major cuts down the net?

Hogs got a good win last night. They're gonna be a handful in the tourney. 

Hope Bill Self is OK. Sucks he has a health issue. 

I love college ball. Season tickets for the Bearcats for years. Usually go to Vegas for the first week of the tourney. This year it’s the second week. Many cigars will be burned on my covered porch next Thursday-Sunday. Have 8 or so guys over every day. This app betting at home will be getting a workout. 

I do have a pair of extra seats for the Tuesday and Wednesday NCAA tournament games in Dayton next week. Gonna sell em on Ticketmaster for a profit but happy to pass along to a BOTL here for what I have in them (list). First come first served there. If anyone local is interested lemme know. 

so hoops next week live tues/weds then w cigars Thur through Sunday. So yes, I like hoops. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

I love college ball. Season tickets for the Bearcats for years. Usually go to Vegas for the first week of the tourney. This year it’s the second week. Many cigars will be burned on my covered porch next Thursday-Sunday. Have 8 or so guys over every day. This app betting at home will be getting a workout. 

I do have a pair of extra seats for the Tuesday and Wednesday NCAA tournament games in Dayton next week. Gonna sell em on Ticketmaster for a profit but happy to pass along to a BOTL here for what I have in them (list). First come first served there. If anyone local is interested lemme know. 

so hoops next week live tues/weds then w cigars Thur through Sunday. So yes, I like hoops. 

If you had the Columbus ones, I might have been a yes. Think that's where Marquette will get slotted in. Trying to figure out if I want to do a road trip or not

5 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

If you had the Columbus ones, I might have been a yes. Think that's where Marquette will get slotted in. Trying to figure out if I want to do a road trip or not

The Columbus seats didn’t look like a decent view when they went up for general sale so I passed. Picked up another 55 inch tv to watch on multiple games at once instead. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say I’m a rabid fan but I certainly enjoy it I did notice the prices in Vegas to sit in a bar and watch a session seemed very expensive. 

• Like 2

A happy selection (or Seleccion, to be on-brand here) Sunday to you all! 

Still coming off the euphoric high of my Marquette Golden Eagles winning their first Big East Tournament Championship. It'll be interesting to see if that changes any seeding lines for them. I still think they're probably still locked in as a 3 and won't move up to the 2 line.

We get to see some champions crowned today in the Ivy, Big Ten, Atlantic 10, AAC, and SEC. 

How's everyone's team looking? Any teams you're afraid of your team facing in the bracket? Is it Houston vs the field?

40 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

Still coming off the euphoric high of my Marquette Golden Eagles winning their first Big East Tournament Championship. It'll be interesting to see if that changes any seeding lines for them. I still think they're probably still locked in as a 3 and won't move up to the 2 line.

We get to see some champions crowned today in the Ivy, Big Ten, Atlantic 10, AAC, and SEC. 

How's everyone's team looking? Any teams you're afraid of your team facing in the bracket? Is it Houston vs the field?

Wont be Houston vs field if Sasser not 100%

1 hour ago, jakebarnes said:

Congrats on Marquette win. As a Cincinnati fan, I just can’t root for X. Actually put down a bet for Marquette so my bet was properly aligned. 
Will be a fun afternoon 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Congrats on Marquette win. As a Cincinnati fan, I just can’t root for X. Actually put down a bet for Marquette so my bet was properly aligned. 
Will be a fun afternoon 

Thanks for rooting with me then! It was the defense I've expected to happen all year. Feels nuts they held Boum to 1 pt. Stevie Mitchell is a flurry if hands on defense. I chuckled when Rob Dauster nicknamed Stevie "Off Night" for how everyone seems to have an off night when he's assigned to them.

Wes is a great coach for your Bearcats. 

Really fun afternoon ahead for what has been one of my favorite weeks of college basketball.

3 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Wont be Houston vs field if Sasser not 100%

Fair. I forgot about that injury yesterday. Saw he isn't playing today. 

5 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

MU getting some talking head love. 

I hate it. lol. We are a "keep a chip on the shoulder" team. I haven't watched much MSU but interesting storyline given Joey hauser is there--the kid who ruined our run a few years ago by whining about not getting the ball enough and wanting it at the expense of an All-American pg and then transferring (and making his brother transfer) out.

I think Drake, Furman, and Charleston are in good places with their marchups.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:19 PM, jakebarnes said:

Bracket is out! How are all of you feeling?

Have seen a few analyst picking Marquette to make final 4. My Hogs have good matchup with IL. If win they most likely will play KU. Have fans of each in the family so that would be interesting!

• Like 1

Was fun going to first four in Dayton last night although the difference in play between the lowest ranked 16 teams and the last two at large was noticeable. Both games were close though. and yes I won both $5 bets so almost paid for the beer I drank there. 

Edit to add tickets are gone

2 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Was fun going to first four in Dayton last night although the difference in play between the lowest ranked 16 teams and the last two at large was noticeable. Both games were close though. and yes I won both $5 bets so almost paid for the beer I drank there. 

Edit to add tickets are gone

Nice! I was rooting for Pitt if only to see former Marquette player Greg Elliot get a win.

I think the Nevada ASU game tonight is gonna be a barn burner.

@Rhinoww The talking head love always makes me nervous. I get that we're a 2 seed, but given our last decade, I don't feel like one--we're sort of used to a collapse due to the previous coach's lack of...well, coaching. Hoping I get to see a nice run from our team and hoping we represent the Big East well as the regular and tournament champs. The opportunity is there given how the bracket is set up, so hope they can take advantage. 

@yadegari6 I am not going to make it for Friday's game due to a work obligation. Debating road tripping for the Sunday game (if it happens). I'll let you know if I am headed your way!