Peated whisk(e)y recommendations

M1B

While I have found myself enjoying peated whisky more and more, I have discovered that I'm most certainly not a fan of those with a strong medicinal/iodine taste (the bottle of Laphroaig I have will most likely be sitting in the back of my cabinet for awhile). I've enjoyed both Bowmore 12 and High West Campfire and I'm absolutely loving Port Charlotte 10, but I'm anxious to try some others. What other peated drams are available in the U.S. that don't taste like a medicine cabinet and won't break the bank?

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, M1B said:

While I have found myself enjoying peated whisky more and more, I have discovered that I'm most certainly not a fan of those with a strong medicinal/iodine taste (the bottle of Laphroaig I have will most likely be sitting in the back of my cabinet for awhile). I've enjoyed both Bowmore 12 and High West Campfire and I'm absolutely loving Port Charlotte 10, but I'm anxious to try some others. What other peated drams are available in the U.S. that don't taste like a medicine cabinet and won't break the bank?

the island Islay is your first stop. other nations will have versions. but that said, i find that most whisky fans either love or hate the style. it sounds like you are a bit on the fence. ardbeg is a cracking producer but if you are not fond of laphroaig then i fear they may not be for you. your bruichladdich - the port C - do some great whiskies. try this article - https://www.forbes.com/sites/felipeschrieberg/2020/10/31/these-10-softly-smoked-scotches-will-convince-you-to-enjoy-peated-whisky/?sh=47df7548ae45

or this one - https://robbreport.com/food-drink/spirits/best-peated-whiskies-for-scotch-lovers-2875938/

• Thanks 1

You might enjoy Caol Ila 12. It’s a little lighter bodied than Ardbeg 10, but goes in the same smoked meat and campfire direction with a delicate and quite sweet finish. But if you like Port Charlotte 10, I would start exploring Ardbeg offerings too. My favorite Ardbeg is the Uigeadail, very complex and a few steps above the 10 year. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:38 AM, Tdm_86 said:

You might enjoy Caol Ila 12. It’s a little lighter bodied than Ardbeg 10, but goes in the same smoked meat and campfire direction with a delicate and quite sweet finish. But if you like Port Charlotte 10, I would start exploring Ardbeg offerings too. My favorite Ardbeg is the Uigeadail, very complex and a few steps above the 10 year. 

Does the Uighedail have that iodine taste to it? I love everything about the Islay whisky's I've had except for that medicinal taste I got in Laphroaig and looking to avoid that.  

11 hours ago, M1B said:

Does the Uighedail have that iodine taste to it? I love everything about the Islay whisky's I've had except for that medicinal taste I got in Laphroaig and looking to avoid that.  

I don’t find any of the Ardbegs to go into that iodine direction. For someone who liked Port Charlotte 10, I don’t think you can go wrong with any Ardbeg offering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got to agree with all the previous suggestions, especially the Ardbeg. A Lagavulin 16 might also be worth trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Grabbed a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and am def enjoying it. Hoping to snag a bottle of Uighedail in the next few weeks to try as well.

• 2 months later...

@M1B some great recommendations above.  If you find you’re enjoying Islay malts, on your journey at some point maybe don’t miss trying Islay’s largest producer Caol Ila (the 12 as suggested above), Kilchoman (Loch Gorm is arguably their best bottling, Sanaig can be good and less $), and Lagavulin.  There’s unfortunately batch variation in recent years with Lagavulin 16 (it used to be a constant solid) and I’d suggest at some later point consider trying Lagavulin 12.  It’s more pricey (it’s natural cask strength and a special annual release) but you could affordably try a glass at most good whisky bars.  Lagavulin is an absolute Islay classic, and perhaps a “don’t miss” on the peated malt journey.  Enjoy 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

There are some very exciting Irish peated malts come to market in recent years. Below are some of my favourites. 

WD O’Connell - Bill Phil CS

Dark Silkie CS 

Velvet Cap - Peated Sherry Cask

Two Stacks - Smoke and Mirrors Peated 

I’m a huge lover of all things Islay but I think the Bill Phil cask strength gives anything they produce a real run. The non CS version is delicious too fyi. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have always enjoyed Lagavulin 16yo when in the mood but, unlike other opinions here, I find it very strong on the iodine classic peaty side - eye wateringly so. Definitely up there with Laphroaig IMHO. But as mentioned above, the Lagavulin 16 may have changed over the last couple of years. Personally, my go to is anything Macallan but sometimes, especially on stormy nights I gets me a hankering for that big bold peaty iodine like kelp in a bog pit. Cheers.

On 1/2/2023 at 6:14 PM, Webbo said:

Got to agree with all the previous suggestions, especially the Ardbeg. A Lagavulin 16 might also be worth trying.

Agree on the Ardbeg.  Great portfolio.  Lagavulin can get into the iodine flavor profile.  One sip and you smell like a drunk.

• Like 1