RH question

patrickamory

Sorry to raise something that has been addressed repeatedly, but I can never remember.

It's cooling down here in NYC, and I'm noticing the cigars in my tupperdors are all smoking a little tight. They are with 65% Boveda packs. This worked great all summer, interior temps about 70-75F.

Should I switch back to 62% packs for the winter, interior temps 66-70F? 

I know this is a boring question but surely everyone has a stake in it...

Just because you're using Boveda packs doesn't mean your actual ambient rH is as desired. If your ambient temp was 70-75F chances are your 65% Boveda was struggling to keep up. Higher temps cause rH to drop. Now that your temps have dropped your rH possibly rose above ideal levels. It's possible your rH at 70-75F was closer to 60%. Now that your temps have dropped your rH may be closer to 65%. I think a lower rH Boveda is certainly worth a try, or even a straight dry boxing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dry box more, keep 15-20 sticks in a smaller tupperware container with a 62 boveda (or close) & smoke from that-

Depending on how big your collection is you it might be annoying to swap Bovedas to adjust to seasonal shifts. I live in the Pac NW & deal with similar, it just takes constant supervision. Ah annoying azz cigars, what a joy 😅

• Like 1

How long do you guys generally find it takes to drybox a tight (not totally plugged) cigar? 1 day, 2 days, or it depends?

Smoking a Famoso tonight that was at 65%. It's slightly tight but smokeable - better than the Regio yesterday, which I had to give up on halfway through :(

5 hours ago, patrickamory said:

How long do you guys generally find it takes to drybox a tight (not totally plugged) cigar? 1 day, 2 days, or it depends?

Smoking a Famoso tonight that was at 65%. It's slightly tight but smokeable - better than the Regio yesterday, which I had to give up on halfway through :(

it depends. if i’m smoking from a box that feels tight to the squeeze test, 2+ days in the dry box. boxes that aren’t plugged, maybe 4-8 hours. then there are the cigars are just so over rolled that a week in the dry box won’t cure them. 

i’ve found a noticeable difference in storing at 62% compared to 65% on general smokability.

i’m still testing this theory, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Puerto Rico. I keep a footlocker humidor and a couple of iris quart tupperdores in my bedroom. The temperature in the summer could get up to 81 F if i wasn’t home for a couple of days and the AC was off for extended periods. But usually my temp will flucuate from 65 F in the evening with the AC to 75 F during the day as per the hygrometers. I therefore only use 62 bovedas on EVERYTHING and my cigars smoke excellent. I’m thinking of getting some 58 rh bovedas for a couple of small tupperdores i have for singles though because i usually get up to 67 RH even with the 62 bovedas

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 2:09 PM, VictorEremita said:

Optimal RH levels for smoking and long-term storing are different.

Question I'm asking myself: why not have a small smoke-soon humidor with Bovedas at the smoke-me RH?

Temperature considerations aside, what would that RH be?

The man himself answers here: 

65% storing; 60% smoking.

• Like 1