a little port tasting and lunch

Ken Gargett

3 hours ago, MossybackR said:

Sheesh!! That’s some wonderful vintages, @Ken Gargett

the criteria for attendance was a good house from a great vintage from last century. 

2 hours ago, helix said:

How long is a bottle of port good for after being openned ? What kind of storage ?

old vintage ports, i would not be leaving them around long. younger ones, you could recork and put into the fridge for a day or two, or perhaps a little more but better finishing at the sitting if you can.

• Thanks 1

Some great ones there.  1970 is considered the single best vintage of the 20th century by many.  The older the Sandeman; the better.

The '94 Noval must've been a beast.  The Seely era of Noval has produced some fantastic stuff.  Even their single and 2nd vintage brands are awesome.

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Some great ones there.  1970 is considered the single best vintage of the 20th century by many.  The older the Sandeman; the better.

The '94 Noval must've been a beast.  The Seely era of Noval has produced some fantastic stuff.  Even their single and 2nd vintage brands are awesome.

both the 94s were. agree re noval these days (although they were never bad), although try as i might, i simply don't get the 16. 

70 has always reminded if 88 champagnes. under the radar largely on release but over the years have just continued to show how good the really are. still remember articles wondering whether 70 or 75 would be the better vintage. could never follow that. mind you, i have an article somewhere that debated whether 77 or 78 would be the better vintage. seems crazy now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

both the 94s were. agree re noval these days (although they were never bad), although try as i might, i simply don't get the 16. 

70 has always reminded if 88 champagnes. under the radar largely on release but over the years have just continued to show how good the really are. still remember articles wondering whether 70 or 75 would be the better vintage. could never follow that. mind you, i have an article somewhere that debated whether 77 or 78 would be the better vintage. seems crazy now. 

1980's really poor for Noval and Nacional.  Not too great for Sandeman, Cockburn, or Croft either.