Spanish “cedar” vs. actual cedar

Spanish “cedar” (a type of mahogany) is expensive and hard to buy where I am.  Western red cedar is cheap and readily available to me.  Some ‘net sources (few) claim it’s ok to use real cedar for storing CCs, but I respect the opinions/knowledge here at FOH best.

Do any members here have actual experience storing CCs using red cedar in their humidors, tupperdors, or coolers?  If yes, your thoughts please?

You will find red cedar is quite aromatic. In the tropical regions we use it as clothes closet shelving, as it keeps moths/insects away. Not saying you will ultimately have a problem, just a heads up...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There aren't too many options for wood that is rH stable and non-aromatic. Obviously Honduran mahogany is one. I've heard bamboo lined with Spanish cedar is also feasible. Red mahogany is not feasible as it is quite aromatic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoodStix said:

Spanish “cedar” (a type of mahogany) is expensive and hard to buy where I am.  Western red cedar is cheap and readily available to me.  Some ‘net sources (few) claim it’s ok to use real cedar for storing CCs, but I respect the opinions/knowledge here at FOH best.

Do any members here have actual experience storing CCs using red cedar in their humidors, tupperdors, or coolers?  If yes, your thoughts please?

Depends on where you live in canada you could try Exotic Woods in Burlington,On.They have spanish cedar

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GoodStix said:

I know local guys who use Mahogany marine plywood for the interiors of their humidors be they whole room or desktop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

You will find red cedar is quite aromatic. In the tropical regions we use it as clothes closet shelving, as it keeps moths/insects away. Not saying you will ultimately have a problem, just a heads up...

He will have a problem. This wood is not appropriate for cigars. They will be tainted with that strong odor. Google search is your best friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cuban boxes these days are made from Okoume/Gabon marine ply.

I have made some singles drawers from it. It is a little rare but obtainable in Australia and presumably elsewhere.

It is odourless. I don't have any real knowledge about its moisture absorbing characteristics, but if it's good enough to make boxes out of then it's good enough for storing singles was my train of thought. Have had no issues with joints splitting or anything like that.

Never heard of anybody else using it and have near zero knowledge about wood, so may be making some comical error, but that's my 2c.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You can maintain humidity without the use of wood.  How large of an area is it?

Thinking about building a walk-in humidor.  Spanish cedar too costly where I am.  But she who must be obeyed might give the nod if the cost were more reasonable 😉

21 minutes ago, GoodStix said:

Thank you all for the replies.  I'll scrap the red cedar idea.  Cheers 👍

Here is your answer.😁

humidor.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

p.s., The curved glass doors are irreplaceable. In planning our move in a couple of weeks, I have made plans to have them in the car with me, in my lap if necessary...😳

Those doors look awesome ! Nothing is irreplaceable though :)  With enough time and unlimited funds everything can be sourced. Lol ! But I hear ya. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodStix said:

Thinking about building a walk-in humidor.  Spanish cedar too costly where I am.  But she who must be obeyed might give the nod if the cost were more reasonable 😉

How about a stone tile or ceramic walls?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How about a stone tile or ceramic walls?

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I have seen some superb examples out of sandstone.

Great idea, thanks!

Brain fart. Back in a flash...😔

Travertine was the word that I was looking for. Travertine tiles might work. They literally drink water and are attractive as well.

😀

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, GoodStix said:

I'm on the hunt for some Spanish cedar myself. Hopefully speaking with a cabinet maker next week to locate materials and arrange for some shelves to be made. If I have any luck locating Spanish cedar I'll let you know. Shipping cost could be preclusive, but we'll see (from us).

As a stop-gap I recommend buying some Spanish cedar trays. I purchased some and they are sufficient but not fancy. The sides and dividers are solid Spanish cedar but the bottom is a veneer. They're cheap, they function, and I'm sure they cost less than what these custom shelves will (it he'll even build them). Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Hmm, they sell it at my local lumber store. It’s not hard to find. Just be careful when you cut it. You should wear a mask at least. As the sawdust from Spanish Cedar is not good for your lungs.

• Thanks 1

Not sure how long Spanish cedar will be available to purchase. It is listed on CITES as a vulnerable species. Once a particular wood is listed there, it's availability is likely on borrowed time. Brazilian rosewood for guitar fretboards is also no longer used in guitar manufacturing due to CITES.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, GoodStix said:

I have located plenty of Spanish cedar. Dm me if you are interested in the details. I'm happy to share.  

• Thanks 1