"This Rioja is a synthetic copy of Viña Tondonia 1942.

ANDREW J. LINN

Products that are copies of the original are denigrated by most consumers.

The reason anyone goes for a fake, whether perfumes, Havana cigars, or caviar, is for economic considerations. Oddly, the selection of imitation wines is very limited.

America's Replica Wines follows the same technique of analysing the chemical components of the liquid and then attempting to assemble a similar product through careful blending and using laboratory controlled techniques.

In fact, not so different from what supermarkets expect when they ask wineries to create their own-brand wines.

However, they are bound to keep within certain limits, and the use of many additives is not permitted.

And, while fake Rolex watches illegally use the name and logo of a world-famous brand, replica wines only copy styles, grape varieties and regions.

Wine gets better with age. What we buy off the shelf isn't always at its peak and needs storing.

Essentially, the effects of a wine's tannins range from harsh to astringent, dry to smooth, luscious to silky. Now, if the latter descriptors sound more appealing, the drinker is likely to be a fan of bottle-aging whether he knows it or not.

What's unique about Replica is that it's openly admitting to copying, but who really wants to buy emulations of great wines just to save on the price?

Would a genuine wine enthusiast do this?

Would we serve them to guests? Almost certainly not. We can imagine the moment of pouring that first glass. "This Rioja is a synthetic copy of Viña Tondonia 1942.

The original costs around €525, if any can be found. Enjoy".

Would you?

Another article on the phenomenon is HERE

• Thanks 1

If you can make me a romanee conti synthetic I’d like to try it.  I’ve had real La Tache but never DRC. The Koch brothers were buying lots of HTF fakes and had no idea until their dealer got caught. I have a bunch of Bordeaux first growths from the late 1960s to the late 1990s and I’m not usually that impressed. I only open them for friends who haven’t had them.  I think one of the best bottles I remember was a 1978 volnay clos de La bousse d’or….but that might have been the chick I cooked dinner for that made it special. I usually buy $25 stuff that suits me just fine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wookie said:

If you can make me a romanee conti synthetic I’d like to try it.  I’ve had real La Tache but never DRC. The Koch brothers were buying lots of HTF fakes and had no idea until their dealer got caught. I have a bunch of Bordeaux first growths from the late 1960s to the late 1990s and I’m not usually that impressed. I only open them for friends who haven’t had them.  I think one of the best bottles I remember was a 1978 volnay clos de La bousse d’or….but that might have been the chick I cooked dinner for that made it special. I usually buy $25 stuff that suits me just fine. 

there are a heap of examples out there about fake wines (and these replicas). a mate who knew Hardy Rodenstock (the first great wine forger - read The Billionaires Vinegar. sensational book if you like thrillers, true crime). He told me Rodenstock's (alleged) recipe for Cheval Blanc 1947. the Koch brothers are a famous example but many more - many of whom never said a thing as did not want to be exposed as having been so stupid or having duds in their cellar. which is hpw many got away with it. probably still do. 

but i have got to ask, how exactly did you have a real La Tache but not DRC? unless we are talking about one from about a century ago? 

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

The Koch brothers are a famous example but many more - many of whom never said a thing as did not want to be exposed as having been so stupid or having duds in their cellar. which is hpw many got away with it. probably still do.

That's what made it so easy.  All these rich "think they know wine" did not want to admit they got hustled.  I find it a bit hilarious.  Just like the cases of '45 Mouton at Changi  Airport. 

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

there are a heap of examples out there about fake wines (and these replicas). a mate who knew Hardy Rodenstock (the first great wine forger - read The Billionaires Vinegar. sensational book if you like thrillers, true crime). He told me Rodenstock's (alleged) recipe for Cheval Blanc 1947. the Koch brothers are a famous example but many more - many of whom never said a thing as did not want to be exposed as having been so stupid or having duds in their cellar. which is hpw many got away with it. probably still do. 

but i have got to ask, how exactly did you have a real La Tache but not DRC? unless we are talking about one from about a century ago? 

I misspoke…meant to say I’ve had La tache but not Romanee Conti

I've had a couple of La Tache and Échezeaux; all have been just "wow".  It's been a long time since having either.  Both now are priced in Stratosphere. At least I have the mental benchmark on what pinot can taste like.  Very hard to get that cola taste from pinot's like they have.

8 hours ago, Wookie said:

I misspoke…meant to say I’ve had La tache but not Romanee Conti

ah, apols, that makes more sense. as BC says, stratosphere now.

i am old enough (just) to remember days where it was not uncommon for someone to open a DRC. romanee conti a bit rare but la tache not unusual. we had one friend who knew his stuff and got on to the 78s very early and bought big (they were peanuts then compared to now. he would open the 78 la tache so often we had to ask him to stop and bring something else. oh, if only we had known what utter fools we were. 

the best three wines i have ever seen are the 71 Romanee conti, 23 la tache and the most truly magnificent, the 29 romanee conti (85 sass comes close but that is another story). 

• Like 1