Who says cigars aren't good for you?

Stop at grocery store for cigar leads to $1 million Powerball win for North Carolina man

Published 9:33 am Wednesday, August 3, 2022

By Staff Reports

cigar
John Gerenza and wife Caroline celebrating their $1 million Powerball prize with a “big check.” Courtesy North Carolina Education Lottery

The North Carolina Education Lottery has reported a million-dollar Powerball win by a Mecklenburg County man.

John Gerenza, of Charlotte, wanted a cigar, so he stopped at a grocery store and decided to play Powerball, too. He walked out with a ticket that would win him $1 million.

Billion dollar ticket just sold at a gas station a couple miles from my house. I wish I had been in the mood for some Swishers last week 🤣

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

I'll bet she ain't in the house come Friday...😳

Then she'd be walking away with at least half of his winnings. There are better ways... and you get to keep the money. :lookaround:

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Then she'd be walking away with at least half of his winnings. There are better ways... and you get to keep the money. :lookaround:

So that’s what you do for a living...I've often wondered. Makes sense now, you have a really good name for a hit man. :D

• Haha 1

He can now afford 3 boxes of Esplendidos!!! After paying her off, 1.5 boxes!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, therealrsr said:

$480M ticket, the bulk went to the IRS.  Such a scam.

Not really. You guys just pay income tax on your winnings. Here in Aus the lotteries are considered tax free income, and you only pay tax on any earnings. Of course, we have far smaller lottery jackpots.