Cuba Trip Report 7/17 to 7/25

Thanks Cory and welcome back. :ok:

Even the calmest/most zen like  of my Cuba domiciled mates are redlining right now. Getting out is not an option for reasons of family. They have reached the end of the rope. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, bates40 said:

Thank you for the report. I hope the Cuban people as a whole and those whom I know very well individually make it through yet another "special" period. 

38 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Thanks Cory and welcome back. :ok:

Even the calmest/most zen like  of my Cuba domiciled mates are redlining right now. Getting out is not an option for reasons of family. They have reached the end of the rope. 

I heard several people mention that its starting to feel a lot like the special period again. Even the most basic necessities are becoming harder to find every day and if you can find them, the price is higher than ever. The same inflation all of us have been seeing has hit there as well. But even worse in some cases. 

The people who where too comfortable to complain a few years ago aren't so comfortable anymore. People who had means and ways to make their lives comfortable are finding fewer avenues to do so. When the most fruitful/productive part of the country doesn't have power 12-15 hours a day its hard to get much accomplished. 

They only glimmer of hope is that as things get worse, we get closer to an eventual long term solution. Its hard to see any light through the trees right now. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

They only glimmer of hope is that as things get worse, we get closer to an eventual long term solution

Always hope so but it looks like they're going into pressure release mode already with this talk of allowing foreign investment, etc. Losing a few hundred thousand people helped. I expect more "freedom" over the short term to provide some relief. When conditions improve they crack back down. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

I came down with Dengue Fever Wednesday night and I'm just starting to come around this morning. My Fever spiked at 103f Thursday morning and I was extremely uncomfortable Thursday, Friday and most of yesterday. Lots of aches/pains, a nasty headache and the chills/cold sweats. Not something to be messed with. I still haven't had Covid though. Haha. My friends wife came down with it the day after I did, she hasn't started feeling better yet. 

I was aware that the government wasn't fumigating this year because of the fuel shortages and I came prepared, but I still got bitten, a lot. It was much worse in Havana than it was in Pinar del Rio or Maria La Gorda. If you're making the trip in the next few months, go heavy on the repellant. I was using 98% DEET and  some repellant bands and it still wasn't 100% effective. 

I added a link to the video of the gas line in Mariel, about 27 Kilometer west of Havana, it was like this for days on end. Nobody can work with out it, so they just park their car/truck/tractor and wait. I captured about 150 GB of super high quality video scuba diving, but I haven't had a chance to edit any of it yet. I post a bunch of links to those videos when I complete them. 

• Sad 3

Can't really see any reason Cuba would even be a viable tourist destination with the issues at hand there. The lure of bringing back "cheap" boxes of Habanos is certainly a ship that has sailed. 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:25 AM, El Presidente said:

Get well Cory!!! 

I'm on the mend. Its a nasty virus, that's for sure. I didn't really know anything about it until recently. The lack of fumigation seems to be the real cause of the current outbreak. It appears to be getting worse with the blackouts:

https://eltoque.com/dengue-en-cuba-que-hay-detras-de-las-cifras-oficiales

On 8/1/2022 at 4:24 AM, SCgarman said:

Can't really see any reason Cuba would even be a viable tourist destination with the issues at hand there. The lure of bringing back "cheap" boxes of Habanos is certainly a ship that has sailed. 

Yeah, it really doesnt make sense for the vast majority of travelers. It can still make for an extremely cheap and fulfilling vacation, but it takes a lot of work to make it happen. I'm still planning a third trip for later this year, but with very limited time spent doing what used to make up the entire trip. (Cigar Shopping) 

On 7/31/2022 at 2:24 PM, SCgarman said:

Yep, can't see spending money and precious vacation time visiting a country with no food, fuel,power, medicine, cigars,etc.