Aussie Wine Fans? Any Good?

BrightonCorgi

definitely and definitely at this price. current release about $125 here. bailey carrodus was supposedly the ultimate grumpy old man/pioneer of the yarra valley - i met him once and he was anything but though there are many stories. tiny production, large demand, the wines have always sold out and been collectors' faves. bailey passed in 2008 so that might be from a period where the transition was still taking place and while, if i recall, 2010 was a very good year in the yarra, not sure how it has travelled. sarah crowe took over about five years ago and the wines never better. she has won winemaker of the year and the winery, best in australia and so on (i know those things often mean little but these are from people like halliday who takes it seriously). but i would definitely give that a crack. especially at that price. it will be shiraz with a dollop of rhone whites. the No 1 is the Cabernet and probably has a slightly higher reputation but both have many fans. 

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How about this wine?  2017 Glaetzer Wallace at $18.60 USD a bottle?  Worth picking up?

a touch above what we pay but hardly surprising. the Glaetzer family is a famous name in aussie winemaking and ben is a star. this is one of his cheaper efforts and i think definitely worth the dosh. 17 a good not great year. my thoughts would be, if convenient, grab one or two, see if they suit you, and if so, stock up. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

a touch above what we pay but hardly surprising. the Glaetzer family is a famous name in aussie winemaking and ben is a star. this is one of his cheaper efforts and i think definitely worth the dosh. 17 a good not great year. my thoughts would be, if convenient, grab one or two, see if they suit you, and if so, stock up. 

It's actually a 3 bottle buy for $56.  We pay no additional tax for booze in MA, FWIW.  Aussie wines have very little fanfare at least in my region.  I think this is true nationally.  No one has been talking or promoting Aussie wines here for 20 years.

37 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

I like the Glaetzer Bishop shiraz.

The 1999 Glaetzer Barossa shiraz has aged remarkably well and is still a great drop. I think I have one or two bottles left.

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 9:00 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

It's actually a 3 bottle buy for $56.  We pay no additional tax for booze in MA, FWIW.  Aussie wines have very little fanfare at least in my region.  I think this is true nationally.  No one has been talking or promoting Aussie wines here for 20 years.

The same wine special has popped up again.  I wonder if it's same bottles that languished or a new delivery of the same vintage?  I think I bought them the last time, but seldom go to their B&M.  They store everything for me until I can get over there.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

How are the '21 Standish wines (Relic, Schubert, Lamella)?  Was offered at $120 and that's supposed to an outstanding price. 

Opinions? 

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How are the '21 Standish wines (Relic, Schubert, Lamella)?  Was offered at $120 and that's supposed to an outstanding price. 

Opinions? 

very highly regarded here. part of the new wave of Barossa wines. dan standish was a torbreck. family been in the Barossa for generations. he has access to small quantities of very old fruit - plenty would be well over the century. don't often get to see them but plenty of winelovers here line up to get these wines. think they sit $130 to $160 ish here. and 2021 was a fantastic vintage in the region. if you have the dosh, definitely worth trying. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 3:52 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Here's another one I need an Aussie opinion on.  It's 2021 Penfolds Grenache-Shiraz-Mataro Bin 138 for $36 USD.  Worth getting?

missed this post. huge fan of 138. not sure where fuzz is getting his but pushing A$60 these days. i remember it around $20, when it was a brilliant buy. it was always worth a lot more so i guess it is now fairly priced. 2021 is a terrific vintage. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

missed this post. huge fan of 138. not sure where fuzz is getting his but pushing A$60 these days. i remember it around $20, when it was a brilliant buy. it was always worth a lot more so i guess it is now fairly priced. 2021 is a terrific vintage. 

Last year I saw it for around AUD50, so it would have been slightly cheaper than the USD equivalent.

• Like 1