10 days NC odyssey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the past 10 days in Miami I have made it a point of smoking solely NC and as many NC as possible. Blending Nudies had me intrigued as to how we stack up against the competition and I also wanted

To be clear, I am not looking for "Cubanesque".  I am completely leaf agnostic  Good cigar, well made, with a flavour profile I would like to smoke regularly......and maybe a little journey

Last third "drift"/"Fade" was a common experience. I asked Hamlet why and he put together one hell of an explanation.  I will get it on film when I get back home and put it up on FOH. 

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Let me double check on the Ilusione. Will come back to you tomorrow. 

The illusione was most likely a holy lance. Fantastic Lancero that’s always in my collection. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 9:30 AM, El Presidente said:

Last third "drift"/"Fade" was a common experience. I asked Hamlet why and he put together one hell of an explanation.  I will get it on film when I get back home and put it up on FOH. 

Wanted to bump this as I’m very interested in hearing more. Very possible the video was posted and I just missed it. Excited to hear more on this topic.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:17 AM, El Presidente said:

Over the past 10 days in Miami I have made it a point of smoking solely NC and as many NC as possible. Blending Nudies had me intrigued as to how we stack up against the competition and I also wanted to see what real Habanos competition there was.

Prior to arrival, good mate Phil (owner of Up Down Cigars Chicago) told me that it is hard to get a bad NC cigar over $10 these days and that the market has changed over the past decade. 

He is largely right. 

I still have 20 or so more to try over the next few weeks but my overall impression is that:

• The real flavour bombs are in the NC Lancero's/thinner gauges.
  • While construction issues are rare (but not completely missing), There is a ceiling cap of 91 points or thereabouts. Still haven't found that 94+ point "mindblowing" experience. 
  • Consistency is prized above complexity. They have nailed it. 
  • The bigger the guage the bigger the complexity struggle. 
  • Death/drift (flavour)  in the last third is a common issue.

In terms of excellent cigars so far?

1. Illusione Lancero is a killer. gifted to me by Brett (MrBirdman) to try with Hamlet and the peanut element was outstanding. Suffered from some flavour drift in the backend but a solid 91/2
  2. I still haven't smoked a Padron Anniversary 1926/1964 that I didn't like.  They are linear in flavour.....but it is a great flavour regardless of cigar.
  3. My Father .....pretty much anything.  
  4. Anganorsa Lancero
  5. Joya de Nicaragua Obras Maestras is excellent. 
  6. Ferio Tega Elegancia 
  7. Rocky Patel 60.   Hamlet has turned RP around with his 60 and 55 blends. 
  8. Oliva Milanio 

I look forward to finishing the NC jouriney upon my return home. :D

@El Presidente - curious if you ended up trying anything that went into the 94+ range when all was said and done.

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Zip. Nada. 

91/92 (Max). 

😀🤔😔

On 5/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, Hollywood Ninja said:

Oh man, a Don Carlos lance to sounds sublime! Now I’m gonna have to put that on the hunt list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was watching a Fuente & Meeraphel show, and even Jose Blanco admitted to not having access to many Don Carlos Lanceros at all. Very rare.