Why did Habanos delete so many 50 cabs?

13 hours ago, oneizzzz said:

Could someone explain the weight thing in more detail please?  Don't quite understand.  Thanks.

Wouldn't smaller packaging actually lead to a higher ratio of box weight per cigar?

The issue isn't actually weight based taxation, it's just high taxation.

In Canada taxation is based on sale/retail price. And it's 200%+, so around monte 2 level and above cigars are more expensive at retail in Canada than Australia. Although Australia has been raising taxes much faster than Canada.

Also we have stores on native reserves that have half or less the tax as they only charge federal tax and not provincial or sales tax.

All that's left to say is that if you're paying triple or more per cigar than international prices you're not going to want to buy 50 at a time.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, LordAnubis said:

All of the above.

- Price of cigars has increased significantly

- Before cigars were a wealthy item, now they are more everyday items, and every day people have limited budgets, they can't dedicate as much capital to a humidor full of 50cabs.

- Availability has increased (obviously not now) with many ways of being able to find and buy cigars, so there's no need to hoard cigars.

- Tax of course impacting the price.

- People of previous generations were repeatable, they would buy what they liked and stick with it. People these days are happy to try new things and move on to other products, so a 50cab is a commitment to most people.

- Before cigars needed to be aged and so a bundle was an easy one off purchase. Now days cigars are more approachable young and hence buying a 10 count to smoke now is fine, and then buying another in 1 year when you finished with it is easy.

That's my list of reasons. 

... A good list. The gist of it reads, governments, Cuba et al, destroying cigar smoking; bad marketing, bad legislating, bad taxing...

-the Pig

27 minutes ago, liquid360 said:

I buy them whenever I can. For some reason, it’s always the Punch & Hoyo Double Coronas that I find in the CAB format. Wonder why?

A lot of people don't have the time to smoke Double Coronas regularly, at least not 50 double Coronas. On the other hand Lusitanias are very high demand.

So that leaves Hoyo DC and Punch DC. Although Punch DC is no longer produced in 50 cabs since a few years ago. So it will be mainly Hoyo DC going forward.

• Like 2