13 minutes ago, slowsmoke said:

I was just in Cabo a few weeks ago and apparently I did it all wrong!

Apologies in advance for threadjacking, but I took a bunch of cigars with me in my suitcase. Is that a no-no in Mexico? I seemed to remember some stories of customs charging outrageous tariffs, but didn’t have time to look it up so risked it. Everything was fine going there and back. 

They asked me if I had any cigars at customs.  

I said "Yes".  

They asked how many.  

I said "15".  

They said, that's fine, you can go.

I didn't buy cigars here because I had to.  I just bought some singles of cigars that I will likely never buy the whole box.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:26 AM, mprach024 said:

Cabo Wabo is a tourist trap bar, more focused on selling you a T-shirt, but it’s depending on what band is playing.  Sammy sold Cabo Wabo years back, so he’s not there as much anymore.  Go, have a shot at night and take a picture and see who’s playing.  Then go to the Giggling Marlin or El Squid Roe or Monkey Bar to drink.  Definitely don’t go there for dinner.

Yeah, sorry Sunset de Mona Lisa, Santa Maria is the beach.  It was late my brain crossed it’s wires. You’ll love that meal.

The Office is overrated for dinner, go to Edith’s instead.  Same ownership, right up the road from each other.  Edith’s is wonderful.

Went to Sunset Mona Lisa tonight.  What a fantastic place.  With the atmosphere and the incredible sunset view, they could get away with mediocre food and still be full every night.  But the food is out of this world too!  We got the chef's tasting menu.  Everything was amazing!

1 hour ago, gcman68 said:

I missed this so I hope it isn't too late but the Usual Suspects bar on the marina is very cigar friendly (the owner Tomas is one of us in that regard) and a decent place to watch a football game or the boats coming in the afternoon. 

Thanks.  At this point, there is just one full day left, so I don't know how feasible that is.  Maybe on the next trip.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Went to Sunset Mona Lisa tonight.  What a fantastic place.  With the atmosphere and the incredible sunset view, they could get away with mediocre food and still be full every night.  But the food is out of this world too!  We got the chef's tasting menu.  Everything was amazing!

Awesome!!!! Glad you enjoyed it, it’s definitely one of if not my favorite in town.  

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, steelcity said:

Headed down to Cabo for a long weekend in two weeks. Staying at an all inclusive - Riu Palace Baja.  Best options nearby to pick up some singles? 

Let me ask my landlord. He lives down there part time.

6 hours ago, steelcity said:

Headed down to Cabo for a long weekend in two weeks. Staying at an all inclusive - Riu Palace Baja.  Best options nearby to pick up some singles? 

There is only one authentic place - JJs (LCDH) prices are through the roof. Think 120$ US for a CORO, 75 for a Lusi, etc. Everywhere else and I mean everywhere else will have horrible fakes. Oh and you’ll get hounded every 5 minutes to buy the glass top boxes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Returned from our trip last Sunday night. We stopped by JJ on Saturday while the ladies were spending pesos on the trinkets. Neat little place but my goodness $$$$. I was able to try some Havana Club 15 which was really good. Most sticks were $50 on up, including NCs like Olivia Melanios. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, steelcity said:

Can I ask how it was? I still need to find a hotel for us. We have little kids who spend al day at the beach or pool, so we generally opt for all inclusives for the convenience factor. Have had good experience with Hyatt Ziva/Zilara brands in the past and I note there is one in Cabo. But if anyone has any suggestions would love to hear any! 

Our place was adults only so no kids which won't work for you. The accommodations were pretty nice and the food options wree good. Beware, the surf and rip current are brutal.  So when booking a place be careful about that.  I'm not a beach guy but some of our crew went down to test out the waters and ended up ass over teacups with sand in multiple places.  I stayed at the pool bar with my cocktails and cigars. 

1 hour ago, Frinkiac7 said:

Can I ask how it was? I still need to find a hotel for us. We have little kids who spend al day at the beach or pool, so we generally opt for all inclusives for the convenience factor. Have had good experience with Hyatt Ziva/Zilara brands in the past and I note there is one in Cabo. But if anyone has any suggestions would love to hear any! 

We’ve been 2-3 times a year for a decade now. There are no real swimming beaches in cabo. In fact, most are deadly. 10-15 tourists drown annually. A calm day is red flagged and a choppy day is black flag meaning they wonT let you within 10 ft of the water. The dropoff is instantaneous and the undercurrent is insane. Pool is your option for the kids. If you want higher end go to Grand Solmar. We’ve been to the Hyatt and it’s nice but too far away from the town to be nice. Expect scams every 10 minutes and timeshare hawkers will hound you incessantly at the Marina. 
All inclusives haven’t caught on in cabo like other places. Most have limited AI offerings. Just remember that the only legit cigars in town are at JJs. And make sure to be sitting when you see the prices lol. Have a great time ! 

• Like 1