A re-barrel project

Fox Sterlingworth

• 2 months later...

very cool concept and when the day comes, do a blind taste and let us know your thoughts!

couple of questions (pardon the ignorance) - is it common that the distillery allows you to "takeaway" the barrel you picked? I know a lot of them sell the barrels (to scotch distilleries for e.g.). And also, why is it that the distillery doesn't allow cask strength bottlings? 

The process is not unheard of - many distilleries take their product and age them in barrels that used to age other distilleries' products. (first link i found on google - https://killaradistillery.com/product/ex-tawny-port-cask-ex-laphroaig-cask-finish/). I think it falls foul of Scotch whisky regulations but I have definitely seen distilleries from other regions do that. for Scotch, bourbon barrels are commonly used. 

Now you got me thinking - I have a barrel resting away .. once that is done, I should get my partners to put some other cask-strength whisky inside to refill! 

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome project!  Do you have any estimation of how many bottles you'll get out of the cask after 5 more years? 

On the topic of Buffalo Trace distillery, I recently had a conversation with a friend, and we agree that BT should sacrifice Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace production to increase Stagg Jr. production......I don't know any serious bourbon drinker that would disagree with that.  Jr is nearly impossible to find around here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, JoshD said:

Awesome project!  Do you have any estimation of how many bottles you'll get out of the cask after 5 more years? 

On the topic of Buffalo Trace distillery, I recently had a conversation with a friend, and we agree that BT should sacrifice Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace production to increase Stagg Jr. production......I don't know any serious bourbon drinker that would disagree with that.  Jr is nearly impossible to find around here.

We figure we should experience up to 1/3 of loss possibly.

Personally, I don’t think Stagg jr is fantastic as is.  It’s more of a cocktail bourbon for me.  It’s been speed aged in my opinion.

I haven’t had much Bowman stuff in recent years.  The only special release I’ve ever loved from them was the 17/18 year old hazmats they released around 2012 if I recall correctly.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:36 PM, Meklown said:

very cool concept and when the day comes, do a blind taste and let us know your thoughts!

couple of questions (pardon the ignorance) - is it common that the distillery allows you to "takeaway" the barrel you picked? I know a lot of them sell the barrels (to scotch distilleries for e.g.). And also, why is it that the distillery doesn't allow cask strength bottlings? 

The process is not unheard of - many distilleries take their product and age them in barrels that used to age other distilleries' products. (first link i found on google - https://killaradistillery.com/product/ex-tawny-port-cask-ex-laphroaig-cask-finish/). I think it falls foul of Scotch whisky regulations but I have definitely seen distilleries from other regions do that. for Scotch, bourbon barrels are commonly used. 

Now you got me thinking - I have a barrel resting away .. once that is done, I should get my partners to put some other cask-strength whisky inside to refill! 

Yes, most American whiskey distilleries allow you to take the emptied barrel as well.