H.Upmann Connossieur A review

I’m a bit if a newbie but I’m enjoying my first  good box of, what’s to me, a high-end cigar with Connie A’s (LUB JUN 15). I’m still trying to distinguish flavors, etc. any help would be appreciated as to how to appreciate the smoke, and I have a good buddy that’s well versed to help me understand things but I thought a few other options would be good to hear too. I’ve been buying some aged boxes and some new stock to age myself. A few questions I had:

1.) Why does the flavor change as you smoke the cigar-it’s all the same tobacco leaf inside right?

2.) What’s the difference between the Connie A’s, 1’s, 2’s? Is there one that’s considered better between them or just personal preference?

3.) How do you know when it’s the right time to smoke a cigar that’s been aging? I’m trying to put 2 years or more on my boxes but I can’t find articles letting me know when each box has aged long enough-I know it’s specific to each box and brand.  I also would like to keep some boxes aging for a decade or longer as an investment, but I’m not sure how to know which boxes would benefit from that much age, and which ones max-out after a short period of time (like one year or two years) and the additional age doesn’t really help their quality.  

Thanks in advance!

Way to many questions.  I recommend going over to the newbie q&a thread.

But to answer 1.  The reason there aren't articles about how long to age a specific cigar is because there isn't one right time.  Everyone has different desires.  Some like little age, some like some age, others like a lot of age.  Plus it will vary with each production year of the cigar.   You'll have to experiment and find your sweet spot.

3 hours ago, Devo15 said:

I’m a bit if a newbie but I’m enjoying my first  good box of, what’s to me, a high-end cigar with Connie A’s (LUB JUN 15). I’m still trying to distinguish flavors, etc. any help would be appreciated as to how to appreciate the smoke, and I have a good buddy that’s well versed to help me understand things but I thought a few other options would be good to hear too. I’ve been buying some aged boxes and some new stock to age myself. A few questions I had:

1.) Why does the flavor change as you smoke the cigar-it’s all the same tobacco leaf inside right?

2.) What’s the difference between the Connie A’s, 1’s, 2’s? Is there one that’s considered better between them or just personal preference?

3.) How do you know when it’s the right time to smoke a cigar that’s been aging? I’m trying to put 2 years or more on my boxes but I can’t find articles letting me know when each box has aged long enough-I know it’s specific to each box and brand.  I also would like to keep some boxes aging for a decade or longer as an investment, but I’m not sure how to know which boxes would benefit from that much age, and which ones max-out after a short period of time (like one year or two years) and the additional age doesn’t really help their quality.  

Thanks in advance!

1) It's not all the same tobacco leaf inside a cigar. The simplified version is every cigar is a blend of different kinds of tobacco leaves. Hence it's normal that flavors change throughout the cigar, plus stuff from the first part of the cigar accumulates in the last part of the cigar which contributes to flavor changes too. 

2) Different cigars and different blends. No such thing as "better" when it comes to taste. 

3) If you want to age cigars and you are not already very familiar with them, your best bet is to buy a box and smoke a cigar from that box at regular intervals. 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc. When you love the taste, that's when you smoke the rest. 

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting post.  How to appreciate the smoke? Maybe you won't 🤷‍♂️ 

You do it how you want to do it.  There will be plenty of tips on this forum describing how and what others like to smoke, and if you're a new smoker, give as many of them a try as you care to. 

• Thanks 1

don't go out searching for flavours, especially ones that you read from others. 

just smoke the cigar and hopefully enjoy it. You'll start to recognize similar flavours from various cigars. Your brain may connect that flavour to something commonly described, or maybe not. 

I was frustrated at the beginning because I couldn't identify the flavours that many used to describe a cigar. 

Then I just realized I'd rather just smoke the cigar than analyze it. Things start to fall into place after that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• JohnS changed the title to H.Upmann Connossieur A review