Helping a buddy - anything look suspect here?

tmccarthy41

A friend of mine sent me the following pics to inquire about some cigars he found while cleaning his office. He says they’re in “good condition”, albeit he’s not a big smoker and one would assume they’re going to be severely dried out, no matter the appearance.

He’s giving them to me to nurse back to health but prior to doing so, can any of you get a sense of authenticity? I see no reason why these would be fakes, but again, I’m not familiar with box codes from the early 2000s.

Thanks for the help and based on what you all have to say, I’ll post some more pics if I decide to take them.

1220d2ef0274117c5fe3b18a7db205da.jpg

688ef940e54f742c256f8e8346b25c57.jpg

5aec76743e7124c230cb3901e9816ebe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not an expert by any means but it’s sloppy for sure. Bands are applied wrong, box code is odd with date over the code, box code font is odd, cigars are wrapped in different directions. I don’t know if it adds up to non authentic or if it’s Cuba. Personally, I wouldn’t buy that box. 

• Like 3

I’m not buying them - the deal was I get them back to health and take 50% of the remaining cigars. It’s hard to tell from the pics - I should have them soon and can take better pics of the sticks themselves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tmccarthy41 said:

I’m not buying them - the deal was I get them back to health and take 50% of the remaining cigars. It’s hard to tell from the pics - I should have them soon and can take better pics of the sticks themselves

I understood you weren't a buyer.  I'm just saying there's enough wrong with them that I wouldn't.  You asked, I answered.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My thoughts are it’s most likely genuine because who would fake a box of Monte #4s? They are the most-sold Cuban cigar in Europe, especially Spain. They are low price and a nice 30-40 minute smoke. Who would go to the trouble of making fakes? The bands are fine, but you are looking at an older box. I have similar green warranty “coupon” stickers with those red numbers printed on it, from boxes I bought in France back in 2004. 

I have seen fake Monte 4s as well for the exact same reasons as you describe, most popular/sold, low price, high turn over, great cheap gift when on holiday, brand name but not exclusive enough to think were faking it etc etc last time I saw a whole box they had them stacked at a dodgy airport duty free... I ended up buying several dirt cheap Jose Piedra's 5ers instead of those rolled banana leaves...

• 2 months later...