JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

914279807_2021-01-3116_17_58.jpg.bf9aef1efd644d29592e12891a16ee6b.jpg

Bolívar Byblos 2016 - Edición Regional Líbano SMA Dic 2017

The Bolivar Byblos is a 2016 Libano Regional Edition which hit the market late in December 2017. It's named after the Phoenician city of Byblos, the oldest continuously inhabited city in modern history. It is a Magicos vitola, with a 52 ring gauge x 115 mm (or 4½ inches) length and comes packaged in a 25-count semi boite nature box.

This was a full-bodied smoke with notes of dry wood, earth, leather along with sweet hay and pepper. If I didn't have to touch it up a few times due to bunched leaves, which induced an uneven burn, I would have rated this cigar higher. As it was the flavours redeemed it somewhat and so I look forward to sampling another to compare it (hopefully more favourably) soon.

• Like 4

241462314_2021-02-1617_51_56.jpg.42c9465f023b1fdf89fc90cae98b1416.jpg

Montecristo No.5 AUM Jul 2014

This mid-2014 Montecristo No.5 would have to be the best from the box thus far, and that by a long way! I've gone through half the box since opening it last year although I have given a number away because how often has one tried an aged minuto or perlas?

What I greatly appreciated from this cigar was the luscious chocolate which coated the palate thickly, with a molten texture that lingered long after each draw was taken. Coupled with some baking spice, light milk coffee and a bit of nuttiness the quality flavours were easily discernible.

I still feel that this box is within its peak period, according to my palate, and so I'm planning to smoke from the rest of the box within the next twelve to eighteen months. I'm curious to see if the next few Monte 5s live up to the quality of this one!

• Like 4

1151564621_2021-02-2013_13_11.jpg.74b90d9046699e31a4a094a56401b265.jpg

Romeo y Julieta Capuletos 2016 - Edición Limitada TOS Sep 2016

If you are not familiar with the Romeo y Julieta Capuletos Limited Edition from 2016 it would because the other Limited Editions that year got all the publicity. The Trinidad Topes was lauded as an exemplary example of the format and the Montecristo Dantes was noted as a 'Monte powerhouse'. The Capuletos merely disappeared into the 'slipstream' of these other two Limited Editions, it seemed.

It's not like it was a bad cigar either. On the contrary, contemporary reviews were mainly consistent in labeling it a solid cigar which will see it getting better and peaking after three to four years.

My last RyJ Capuletos was smoked around three or four months ago. It left quite an impression on me after smoking it. It was comfortably mild, had a great balance of RyJ flavours such as cocoa, nutmeg, anise sweetness, rosewater, wood, a little spice and even a velvety cream texture on the draw. The consensus that this Limited Edition would take three to four years to start to peak is about right, retrospectively speaking.

I smoked a 2018 Romeo y Julieta Tacos around the same time and I noted that it was a powerhouse, something akin to a Limited Edition version of the Cazadores. Today's 2016 RyJ Capuletos was more like an amplified Churchills, with all the very best characteristics of that flagship cigar to go with it. Again it had cocoa, nutmeg, anise sweetness, rosewater, wood and a velvety cream texture on the draw. This time there was no spice evident. If you have some of these in your humidor and it's been awhile since you've visited them, do yourself a favour and smoke one soon. I'm confident you won't regret it!

• Like 4

933549292_2021-02-2118_35_04.jpg.87ef68639c81071092d8ca91eb9f38c0.jpg

Montecristo No.5 AUM Jul 2014

I've started to 'warm up' to this box since the last few have been outstanding, so I decided today was a good day to enjoy another mid-2014 Montecristo No.5. I've been saying all along that this box won't see out the end of 2022 (heck, probably 2021!) and today's specimen supported that view.

Most of the Montecristo No.5s from this box have been on the mild side thus far and lighter in those classic Montecristo cocoa/coffee flavours in comparison to youthful Monte 5s. With 40% left of the box, this one surprised me a little as whilst it was still on the mild side in terms of strength, it was full of flavour. The flavours were a mix of cocoa, sweet chocolate, milk coffee, toasted tobacco, leather and some baking spice on the edges. At times that sweet chocolate 'ramped up' in intensity and smoked more like strong cocoa powder, and so much so that I had to ease back on the cigar to prevent overheating.

In the end all was well. I felt smug in the knowledge that a 40 ring gauge by 102 mm (or 4 inches) perlas felt like I was smoking a toothpick in comparison to most Habanos cigars we all smoke these days. Aren't you glad there's still cigars like this available? I know I am!

• Like 4