90s box with Cubanacan stamp

dangolf18

Oct 98, Jose Marti. The Cubanacan stamp was apparently used for cigars sold in the hotel chain before they had LCDHs throughout Cuba. Only seen a handful but I have seen them.

However, the warranty seal is a 99-09/11 and the box is a 98. The old seal ran all the way through 98 and well into 99, so I would have to say there's something wrong there. I wouldn't rule out someone replacing the seal because the original fell off, but that does not appear to be the original warranty seal.

I would also say that that's an unusual font for the date/factory code. I've seen differing fonts but that would be a more unusual one. Could be legit but it would be uncommon.

• Like 2

From what I've seen/heard over the years that Vendido stamp is not a good sign. Can't say with any veracity beyond the folklore:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/118635291492268/permalink/2331588016863640/?comment_id=2387520667937041&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R"}

Nino Munoz I have enlarged the bottom picture and that "Vendido en Cuba por Cubanacan" stamp is highly dubious - I have only seen it on fake boxes.

Also the Factory/Date Stamp is just inked, not really very legit looking to me.

https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/habanos-discussion/3856-real-fake.html

https://www.zigarrenforum-online.de/showthread.php?t=14061

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Oct 98, Jose Marti. The Cubanacan stamp was apparently used for cigars sold in the hotel chain before they had LCDHs throughout Cuba. Only seen a handful but I have seen them.

However, the warranty seal is a 99-09/11 and the box is a 98. The old seal ran all the way through 98 and well into 99, so I would have to say there's something wrong there. I wouldn't rule out someone replacing the seal because the original fell off, but that does not appear to be the original warranty seal.

I would also say that that's an unusual don't for the date/factory code. I've seen differing fonts but that would be a more unusual one. Could be legit but it would be uncommon.

Yes the font is what's very odd. Totally different than legit boxes I have from that era. The warranty seal is also a bit precarious. Could be old fakes.

Interesting. I would certainly trust @nino's take on the Cubanacan stamp. He's been buying cigars in Cuba long before that era. I'd be interested to know if there ever was any legitimacy to it or if it's a telltale sign of a fake box.

As I said, the warranty seal is definitely incorrect for the date code and that font is highly unusual. Based on that and Nino's statement I'd have to lean towards these being fake.

7 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

From what I've seen/heard over the years that Vendido stamp is not a good sign. Can't say with any veracity beyond the folklore:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/118635291492268/permalink/2331588016863640/?comment_id=2387520667937041&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R"}

Nino Munoz I have enlarged the bottom picture and that "Vendido en Cuba por Cubanacan" stamp is highly dubious - I have only seen it on fake boxes.

Also the Factory/Date Stamp is just inked, not really very legit looking to me.

https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/habanos-discussion/3856-real-fake.html

https://www.zigarrenforum-online.de/showthread.php?t=14061

In ALL those 4 links we are dealing with FAKE boxes as proven by not just me but others with knowledge and experience.

"Vendido en Cuba por Cubanacan" has a fake rate of 100%, a bad record.

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

As I said, the warranty seal is definitely incorrect for the date code and that font is highly unusual. Based on that and Nino's statement I'd have to lean towards these being fake.

That font is not only highly unusual, it is non-existent.

That plus the "Cuabanacan" stamp would make me run away from that box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nino said:

That plus the "Cuabanacan" stamp would make me run away from that box.

Do you know exactly what is the story with that? Does it have some kind of basis in reality? What are they trying to make it seem like that is? Seems odd to add something like that to suggest legitimacy. Have you seen that in Cuba or only on boxes outside Cuba? Good to know it means fake 100% of the time though.

@NSXCIGAR

Have only seen it in boxes outside of Cuba that were obviously fake - see pictures below.

No idea what the story is, but a good hunch :

Cubanacan is a Cuban travel chain with some low budget hotels ( among them the Comodoro in Havana ), bus transfers etc..

Those hotels have shops ( not La Casa Del Habano/Tabaco, more like souvenir shops where tourist stuff is sold ).

I guess that to increase or add legitimacy to fake boxes sold to tourists someone had the smart idea of adding that stamp to the box ( the stamp might have been used by Cubanacan to designate other legitimate products ) just to add a "second band" ...

Note that not even the stamp is uniform, it varies and is is totally different from one box to another.

Also note that all factory codes and fonts are fake.

The most blatant being the last box.

1820311464_cubanacan19espelendidoscohiba.jpg.08087cb8574b6bb8c70f78bf175cfd55.jpg

100986320_cubanacan2.jpg.582b4bfaa838647d86c256726f892f0f.jpg

1216113935_cubanacan3.jpg.2ce532e34fd981f404e71d0bf8214062.jpg

1073257754_cubanacan4.jpg.987fc042775ca0396bd923dd3f94aeca.jpg

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Do you know exactly what is the story with that? Does it have some kind of basis in reality? What are they trying to make it seem like that is? Seems odd to add something like that to suggest legitimacy. Have you seen that in Cuba or only on boxes outside Cuba? Good to know it means fake 100% of the time though.

• Like 3