Kenfessions: Gettin' a little Punchy with some Whisky & Beaujolais...

Good read again Ken. Beaujolais, for me, are a refreshing outside for a hot day. I probably only pick up one bottle a year and ensure it is of recent vintage. I wasn't aware of any that actually aged well, thanks for that. The lagavulin 8 is a great one considering the price. I get a ton of lime out of it for some reason.

2 hours ago, BoliDan said:

Good read again Ken. Beaujolais, for me, are a refreshing outside for a hot day. I probably only pick up one bottle a year and ensure it is of recent vintage. I wasn't aware of any that actually aged well, thanks for that. The lagavulin 8 is a great one considering the price. I get a ton of lime out of it for some reason.

ta guys (had not even realised that this was up!).

BD, no one would ever fault you for drinking all your Beaujolais young. i reckon i could count the old ones i've tried on the fingers of one hand. to be honest, my thoughts here based more on the reports one occasionally finds. but it does make sense that the top sites in great years should make wines which will age.  i remember putting a few away many years ago to test this. no idea where and never seen them again so that plan out the window. 

• Like 1

Nice article on Beaujolais!  Had a glass or two in a Paris cafe as a youth...refreshing, kind of zesty, but also transformative, as I remember back... certainly my favorite glass of wine of the trip.  Have been looking to recapture that sensation and have never succeeded with that wine. Now I kinda have a handle on what to hunt down.

thanks

After years of craft beer and high-end rum and bourbon, I've only recently been trying wine and doing by best to re-tune my palate.

It was a bottle of Beaujolais which seemed to be an 'aha!' moment for me, probably due to the light body and light tannins, which has opened the door to an ever increasing appreciation for wine. 

• Like 1

Great writeup Ken! I'm more of a water person with my cigars, but I'll have to give some bojo a try! I personally think that 18 is getting a bit more hype then it deserves (i think 16 was better, but 18 is close) but either way I'm happy to see that more people are giving it the respect it deserves! (also, I feel lucky to have had some great bottles from the 90's and can confirm that great Beaujolais can really be just as life changing as great burgundy... and also about %1000x less expensive) 

Nice article Ken! I'll have to check out Beaujolais I've never had it before. Could this be the best punch you've had or is there a punch that tops it?

8 hours ago, WineAcrobat said:

Great writeup Ken! I'm more of a water person with my cigars, but I'll have to give some bojo a try! I personally think that 18 is getting a bit more hype then it deserves (i think 16 was better, but 18 is close) but either way I'm happy to see that more people are giving it the respect it deserves! (also, I feel lucky to have had some great bottles from the 90's and can confirm that great Beaujolais can really be just as life changing as great burgundy... and also about %1000x less expensive) 

i do love these beaujolais, but i would hate for anyone to think that i was ranking them on the level of great burgundies. for me, they stand alone. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dshot said:

Nice article Ken! I'll have to check out Beaujolais I've never had it before. Could this be the best punch you've had or is there a punch that tops it?

i like these but off the top of my head, my fave Punches have been the Super Selection 2's. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great introduction to the Beaujolais wines-I too think they are under appreciated. My favourite is the Saint-Amour which always bursts forth with cherry on the palate.