the alien movies

Ken Gargett

this is a piece on the order ranking the Alien movies. normally, i reckon most of the dills doing these lists can't have even seen most of the movies (or listening to the artists involved etc etc).

this time, i reckon he has it absolutely spot on. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/apr/30/which-is-the-best-alien-movie?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0yMDA1MDE%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

• Like 1

2, 1, 3.  The rest are pointless.

What makes Aliens the greatest?  All the usual things cited, plus every word out of Bill Paxton's mouth, the introduction of one of the iconic movie weapons the M41A Pulse Rifle, and the fact you remember the names of the bit-part Marines better than the lead characters in all the other sequels. "Wierzbowski!  WizBASSSSkiiiii!!!!!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirVantes said:

What makes Aliens the greatest?  All the usual things cited, plus every word out of Bill Paxton's mouth, the introduction of one of the iconic movie weapons the M41A Pulse Rifle, and the fact you remember the names of the bit-part Marines better than the lead characters in all the other sequels. "Wierzbowski!  WizBASSSSkiiiii!!!!!"

i am in complete agreement. 

• Like 1

Have to agree. That list is pretty spot on.

I prefer Aliens over Alien, but by only a small margin. The suspense of Alien, and the dinner scene (Ridley Scott didn't tell the cast what would happen, so their reactions are real), were only just edged out by the action sequences, special effects and cinematography in Aliens.

I love this franchise.  My oldest brother snuck me into the original Alien back in 1979 which was rated R-18 in Canada. I was 10 years old at the time. I remember being glued to the seat watching this.  I have watched it at least 2 dozens times since then.  It is a flawless piece of work.  When Aliens came out I probably saw it in theaters about 5 times.  If I had the choice to watch Alien or Aliens endlessly, I'd pick Aliens.  The characters are great, the dialogue is memorable, great action sequences and good suspense and tension tossed in.  The soundtrack is absolutely perfect.  Each track suits the scenery to a "T".  Both of the first movies are full of details and texture that make multiple viewings possible and not boring.  Aliens is like a carnival ride you can't get enough of.  Once you hop off, you want to get right back on.  Even though you know where all the twists, turns and drops are.  

Alien 3 remains just where it should, compared to the first two. In third. By no means is it a bad movie. Thematically it was disappointing in that it took the triumph of the survivors of the previous film and wiped it away, offscreen for the most part.  That is its' major sin.  Otherwise, the movie has a real sombre and depressing mood about it. The Alien is a bit unique as it was born of a dog (Ox in the Directors cut) so it was a bit more quadripedal at times.  Very fast.  Fincher did a nice job despite being pestered by 20th Century Fox execs throughout the process. It's a miracle he was able to put together a cohesive, though somewhat standalone film.  

So for me.  2. 1. 3.  

Alien Resurrection and the AVP movies are just good, schlocky fun.  No real attempt at storytelling.

Prometheus and Covenant are disappointing. It's hard to believe Ridley Scott directed these two.  Compared to Alien. It's like an amateur director took the helm on the prequels.

• 10 months later...
On 5/1/2020 at 2:42 PM, SirVantes said:

I have to agree 100%, for me it's also 2, 1 and 3.

Not disparaging Aliens, but what Ridley Scott did with Alien was groundbreaking and astonishing. A technically perfect film. Very much like Jaws and The Exorcist in that regard. Scott has yet to surpass it. Hard to believe the same guy that made that did the Prometheus ones.

I don't make the mistake of thinking something is superior simply because I might prefer it. I'd probably watch Ace Ventura over Schindler's List on a given Sunday afternoon but I am not suggesting the former is a superior film. 

• Like 1

It seems I am in the minority, as I found 1 to be better than 2, and to top it off I think Prometheus was an excellent sci fi film!

My all time favorite Ridley Scott is Blade Runner...can't beat Rutger Hauer and the "tears in the rain" bit. 

For me 1 & 2 are a tie. In the first one was groundbreaking in the tight corridors, chestburster scene, the reveal of Ash and simply the character development of Riply. Not to mention how she seems to be the only one in any of the series who seemed to want to enforce the quarantine guidlines. (Promethius was just poorly developed writing of any basic safety precautions.). The 3rd one i preferred the directors cut. Reason is I read the book and went to the theater and was like (WTF?) 

After those everything else was a disappointment. Poor character development, crappy plot, sensible story line etc. The first two really caught a certain grittyness of space maybe a bit of "Foundation" and Sci Fi art of the 70's and 80's. Darkhorse comics had the Aliens and Colonial Marines along with several creative Ideas in the graphic comic Heavy Metal, there were alot of great ideas that could have continued the franchise if writers and directors would have had a bit more passion. Rather executives at Fox just used the name to capatalize on interference and caution in trying to crank out a product that they have no love for but only a sense of opportunity that they can harvest a bit more cash out of the franchise. 

AVP was just wrong. Promethiius just runs off the deep end and tries to be something it's not. I really like the Critical Drinkers youtube review as it seems pretty spot on as to how dumb it really is while trying to be smart. The second is just as bad as the first. Supposidly they are in development of a sequil which I don't have high hopes for. 

What I did find interesting was in 2019 for the 40th anniversary there were 6 Alien short movies. A couple had some pretty cool ideas where they could go with it. Better than what Fox has come out with anyway.