Save your Boveda bags

djrey

For those that use Boveda bags in your humidor this tip may save you some money.

Take any bag that doesn’t feel plump and full and put in a Tupperware container with distilled water. Let it sit for a few days and they will swell almost back to new. Let it dry for a day then back into the humidor! 

Hope this helps some of you put more money into cigars rather than more humidification.

cheers!

• Like 1

Do you drop the boveda bag into the distilled water and get it soaked or prop it up on something to keep it dry from the water within the tuppeware?  

My personal experience with bringing back dry Bovedas is to soak a paper towel in distilled water, wrap around the dry pack, put in a ziploc bag, and ideally let it sit in a sunny window. It might take a couple of wettings of the paper towels, but you don't tend to damage the packs like you can if you just immerse them in water, and the process went faster for me when compared to a tupperware sealing next to a cup of distilled water. Definitely experiment with what works best for you, but the paper towel method was superior for me. 

I'm not at home to post a pic, so use the power of IMAGINATION.

I put a small dish, like a ramekin, with distilled water in a Tupperware container. The Bovedas surround the dish. I keep the container where it gets the heat of the sun. Works so good I have too many Bovedas.

Could you see that...in your mind?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, irratebass said:

How wet are the paper towels? 

Soaked, but not dripping. I re-wet the towels when they dry out in 48hrs. Folding the paper towel will allow it to hold more water.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Soaked, but not dripping. I re-wet the towels when they dry out in 48hrs. Folding the paper towel will allow it to hold more water.

Thanks Fuzz

Never used the 320g pack, so i couldn't say. Is the inner pack removable from the cardboard outer?

I would assume it can be recharged using the above method without having to remove the cardboard. Just don't get the cardboard wet.

1 minute ago, Fuzz said:

Never used the 320g pack, so i couldn't say. Is the inner pack removable from the cardboard outer?

I would assume it can be recharged using the above method without having to remove the cardboard. Just don't get the cardboard wet.

Cardboard pack from 320g is mainly for 320g pack holder (has 4 grooves for 320g pack holder on the bottom) though. Will putting 320g pack and dish with distilled water into tupperware do a job?

Cardboard pack from 320g is mainly for 320g pack holder (has 4 grooves for 320g pack holder on the bottom) though. Will putting 320g pack and dish with distilled water into tupperware do a job?

I use a dumpling steamer for the 320g so I don’t have to futz with ripping the cardboard open.

d037330d41f7e5175c93ab9894ab070f.jpg

b9ec89ceeebcc55aca4b318c2d375054.jpg

I use the damp paper towel method for the smaller packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hollywood Ninja said:

I use a dumpling steamer for the 320g so I don’t have to futz with ripping the cardboard open.

That's really impressive! Do you pour distilled watet under the dumpling steamer tray?

On 4/17/2020 at 11:27 AM, Hollywood Ninja said:

This is very cool idea. Just to clarify you don’t actually put them in the microwave correct? I don’t think you would but curious 

48 minutes ago, talumn said:

This is very cool idea. Just to clarify you don’t actually put them in the microwave correct? I don’t think you would but curious 

That would be a negative.

• Like 1

Nope. A window sill perhaps on a sunny day to help with the condensation, or just let time do it’s thing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...