Export of cigar tobacco leaves from Cuba. Reality or deception?

50 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Thanks! If you decide to visit us, you are welcome. Before the 1917 revolution, Russia was one of the largest manufacturers of cigars and tobacco products. The Communists destroyed cigar production and cigar culture. Now the cigar culture is reviving, including with the active participation of Habanos SA.

You never hear about any of these. Do you have any links to historical works documenting/describing this time period? Would love to peruse

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BJRPorter said:

If raw product is getting off the island, one would be naive to make the argument that only lower quality product exported.

Why do you think this way?  Cuba is known to be extremely starved for foreign currency and ready for any business on cash terms.  It's noteworthy that Cuba has also experienced some excellent growing years of late.

• Like 1

Cuba has always exported lower grade tobacco that it feels wouldn't be able to compete with it's own products. Dutch and canary island producers have and still release them. I think canery island production dropped away a while back though.

Love the info about Russia pre-1917 and cigar consumption. I read something a few years back that claimed England as being the biggest producer of tobacco in the world back in the 1600s as so many people grew their own in gardens/common areas for pipe smoking. I can't remember the exact wording but shows how widespread 'brown gold' was back then.

I think it finished as a national product due to Cromwell and the puritans banning everything enjoyable until people got sick of them and they were kicked out 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BJRPorter said:

If raw product is getting off the island, one would be naive to make the argument that only lower quality product exported.

Cuba has exported leaf throughout its history and as has been pointed out, throughout the last three decades as well. Wrapper hasn't been exported through that latter period to anyone's knowledge. That had been policy. I am unsure if that has changed.