So storage and aging

How do you manage to keep your storage situation as efficient as possible, while still able to identify particular boxes etc.?

Example: Say I have 2 boxes of cigars. I enjoy younger smokes about as much as older ones, so in all likelihood I'll smoke about half of each box within 6 months of purchase and put away the rest. That leaves me with 2 half empty boxes taking up space in a humidor. This is cool with only 2 boxes, but as most of you know it never stays at two. So is it a valid strategy to just bundle the sticks in one box with ribbon, label it accordingly, and pack it within the one box, provided everything fits? 

If this doesn't work (for whatever reason, I am a newbie after all), what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

I keep mine in the boxes until they get close to empty...I have a couple of cedar trays I picked up on Amazon where I keep the loose sticks, and also have a ‘ready to smoke’ box where I keep a mix of loose cigars. I have found it easier to add a new tupper to my storage vs constantly moving loose sticks around, but I know that space doesn’t always allow that for some folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small cabinet humidor and a desktop. I move about 4 cigars from a box at a time into the desktop from the box in the humidor. When the box is about ⅔ empty I either put the remaining cigars in the desktop or combine them with other boxes. I keep rare singles in plastic bags and tubos in the drawer in the cabinet. I often combine cigars in 50 cabs when I have less than a half cab of two cigars.  I've never noticed any mingling of flavors from different cigars being kept together even after many years. I keep track of the whole mess at Cubancigarwebsite.com. 

I've also combined like cigars from other boxes together. Example: Monte 2s from 2015 and a few from 2018 in the same box. Never had any issues. Just as long as there's a way to tell them apart.

I’ve currently got a 150qt cooler that houses all of my full boxes and a custom built wineador that holds about 600 singles. 

I used to empty entire boxes into the wineador from the cooler when space would permit, but now both units are mostly full. I’m currently waiting for a custom built cabinet to come in. (84x42x20) It’s got 4 angled shelves to display open boxes with enough depth to keep full boxes behind the displayed boxes with two sliding glass doors, and two solid wood doors on the lower 1/3 where I can keep entirely full boxes. At the top of the bottom section just before the sliding glass doors there is a pull out drawer 4 inches deep that will hold all of my loose cigars, roughly has enough space for 500-600. The plan is to move boxes to the drawer once they’re a quarter full, keep them displayed until then, and keep full boxes below. I’ll probably maintain the cooler as well because as we all know there’s no such thing as too much storage and definitely no such thing as too many cigars. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RubenF said:

So storage and aging

How do you manage to keep your storage situation as efficient as possible, while still able to identify particular boxes etc.?

Example: Say I have 2 boxes of cigars. I enjoy younger smokes about as much as older ones, so in all likelihood I'll smoke about half of each box within 6 months of purchase and put away the rest. That leaves me with 2 half empty boxes taking up space in a humidor. This is cool with only 2 boxes, but as most of you know it never stays at two. So is it a valid strategy to just bundle the sticks in one box with ribbon, label it accordingly, and pack it within the one box, provided everything fits? 

If this doesn't work (for whatever reason, I am a newbie after all), what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Perfectly fine. You may want to label them so you know which is which, but I believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with non-flavored cigars mingling and cavorting together. I do it all the time.

Don't overthink it, don't lose sleep over it.

• Thanks 1

I put the box in a ziploc bag and toss in a boveda.  Then I proceed to put another one or two ziploc bags around the first ziploc bag just for good measure.  Then I place the triple-bagged box in a cardboard box or a shelf, wherever I can, and I promptly forget about it.

Some time later, I find the box and it's like receiving a gift from a friend except that friend is me from the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1