Developing a cigar palate

Hey folks!

So I'm a relatively newbie from the place that hates Cuban products. I've recently (3 months, more or less) come back to the world of cigars after being away for a while and as I start to delve into it, I wonder what, if any, methods the more experienced smokers have developed in order to get the full experience out of their sticks. So far, I can easily pick up on whether a cigar is Cuban or not (they have a very unique, mineral tangy flavor), whether it's sweet or leathery or woody. Can definitely pick up spices, specially on the retrohale. But beyond that it gets a bit muddled. A good example is Partagas, the E2 in particular. The sourdough flavor is obvious, the Cuban mineral flavor is obvious, but beyond that it gets difficult. I can also relatively easily pick out Nicaraguan cigars from other country specific cigars (earthy and "dark", usually peppery). 

To give a bit more context, I usually drink the same drink with all my smokes (diet Vernor's ginger ale, for those who are wondering. Highly recommend you try it if you haven't). Maybe try just water? Feels like that would take away from my experience, in general. Any advice is welcome! 

Hey folks!
So I'm a relatively newbie from the place that hates Cuban products. I've recently (3 months, more or less) come back to the world of cigars after being away for a while and as I start to delve into it, I wonder what, if any, methods the more experienced smokers have developed in order to get the full experience out of their sticks. So far, I can easily pick up on whether a cigar is Cuban or not (they have a very unique, mineral tangy flavor), whether it's sweet or leathery or woody. Can definitely pick up spices, specially on the retrohale. But beyond that it gets a bit muddled. A good example is Partagas, the E2 in particular. The sourdough flavor is obvious, the Cuban mineral flavor is obvious, but beyond that it gets difficult. I can also relatively easily pick out Nicaraguan cigars from other country specific cigars (earthy and "dark", usually peppery). 
To give a bit more context, I usually drink the same drink with all my smokes (diet Vernor's ginger ale, for those who are wondering. Highly recommend you try it if you haven't). Maybe try just water? Feels like that would take away from my experience, in general. Any advice is welcome! 
Sounds like you are doing pretty well as it is, but definitely try some different drinks and see how it affects the flavour.

Try dry boxing and see how that affects things as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Like what he said above, you're doing pretty well.  Second the dry boxing for a week or more to remove excess moisture.

Also check this video out, and try the winner, orange juice.  Has worked great for me in opening up my taste buds. 

A lot of it is mental. If you don't focus, you won't notice subtle changes. Take notes while you smoke. Push yourself to describe in more detail. When you notice leather, think of leather items you own. Is more like your new leather belt or your grandpa's dusty old leather bound journal? Is the sweetness more brown sugar or molasses? Keep listing things and seeing if they fit, but force yourself to chose, and be specific. Reflect on your notes as you go, at least twice. Are you still tasting the same things? What's different? Is that sweetness still brown sugar, or does it taste more like honey now? By the time you are done with the cigar you will be surprised how much you tasted.

• Like 2

I applaud your endeavor! 

You need three things. 

1. dry box a few days

2. a pen and paper. 

3. time

Have the pen and paper handy and just write notes as they come to mind. Anything. Feel free to doodle a tobacco plant or boobies or whatever. Give yourself permission to explore and be free. 

Guaranteed when you finish the cigar and look back at what you have written, you will amaze yourself. 

......then torch the paper. :lookaround:

• Like 2

I was discussing this with @mt1 his cigar palate is really refined and the specific flavours and variety he tastes is amazing.  

He told me a good way to learn the difference is to smoke similar cigars at the same time and so you can nail down the different nutty, leathery, sweetness notes.

I'm terrible at tasting very similar profiles, be it Almonds, toasted almonds, syrup, honey, hay, grass and leather.  Normally I get one or two of these flavours no matter if its vintage, ROTT, cuban, NC and so need to learn how to differentiate between the specific nutty notes and sweetness to get more variety i feel..

• Like 1

Broaden your tasting palate by eating/drinking lots of different foods, but take your time. When eating, inhale through the nose with food in your mouth. You will be surprised how much that changes your perception of flavours. If you don't believe me, try eating without breathing through your nose. Food will have almost no taste. 

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Broaden your tasting palate by eating/drinking lots of different foods, but take your time. When eating, inhale through the nose with food in your mouth. You will be surprised how much that changes your perception of flavours. If you don't believe me, try eating without breathing through your nose. Food will have almost no taste. 

Good point, I'm really don't make a conscious effort to do this, I will try and see if I can taste more flavours.

5 hours ago, Fuzz said:

^-----This,   

Thanks much for all the feedback. I'll definitely try the dryboxing method and have begun to take detailed notes. It's a bit difficult as I usually smoke 1-2 cigars a day and at least one of those is smoked as I work on my laptop. Thanks again!