Wind proof lighters

My Lotus Vertigo triple torch just cracked and started shooting fuel out of the side while I was holding it. Kinda scary, but everything worked out and I am fine, no explosions etc. thankfully.

That lighter is listed as wind resistant, and it was, the flame almost never went out. The issue that I have is the flame wasn't really strong enough to stand up in the wind, so I would have to light the cigar almost on top of the lighter and sometimes the cigar itself would put the flame out. Some days I couldn't smoke at all because I knew that I wouldn't be able to get a good light.

So, I would like to get a little bit better lighter that hopefully will serve me well for several years to come. Obviously my main issue is wind resistance, here in coastal Texas it is always windy, our city's nickname is "The Windy City", and I think our average wind speed is around 12kph, but the last few months our average wind speed has been 20-22kph and gust speed is 30-35kph. Lots of wind farms around here! I smoke outside, so it is just something that I have to deal with.

Looking to stay under $150US for something that looks nice, is durable, and has a strong flame. It doesn't need to have any built in gadgets etc., I don't need that.

After my last experience with a fairly highly rated wind resistant lighter, I thought it would be good to get some experienced input. 

Anything jump to mind that might fit the bill?

I recently got a Colibri Slide, really like it. Dual flame that points in to one. I've done a review on it for YouTube so you can see what it's like. 5ffb25967d0bca258d17abe7408648a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I thought Chicago was the "Windy City"?

My Blazer lighters (PB207 & EVO) have always performed in windy situations.

I think that there are several "windy city" nicknames, interestingly Chicago doesn't make the list of top windy cities in America.

That Blazer lighter lighter is almost identical to the one that cracked open on me.

4 hours ago, pandyboy said:

I recently got a Colibri Slide, really like it. Dual flame that points in to one. I've done a review on it for YouTube so you can see what it's like. 5ffb25967d0bca258d17abe7408648a3.jpg

I see that they have a two and a three flame version, I didn't see your YouTube review, but I saw some others and none of them talk about its functionality in wind. Do you have a link to your video handy?

I see that they have a two and a three flame version, I didn't see your YouTube review, but I saw some others and none of them talk about its functionality in wind. Do you have a link to your video handy?
Here you go.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 06Speed6 said:

I think that there are several "windy city" nicknames, interestingly Chicago doesn't make the list of top windy cities in America.

Chicago's nickname did not come from it actually being windy here. The nickname refers to the fact that we historically have a high number of politicians that are full of hot air thereby creating a lot of "wind." 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, inter4alia said:

Chicago's nickname did not come from it actually being windy here. The nickname refers to the fact that we historically have a high number of politicians that are full of hot air thereby creating a lot of "wind." 

Hahaha that is amazing 

1 hour ago, pandyboy said:

Here you go.

The flame seems about the same as my previous lighter which didn't perform well in the wind, but how do you think that it would hold up?

I think a lot of lighters claim to be wind resistant. But at some point, the wind takes over their claim. Hell, if it's that damn windy, I don't want to be out smoking a cigar. That's why beaches and cigars don't work for me

• Like 1

I'm another who thinks Blazers are among the most powerful. I have a PB-207 and a CG-001 - never an issue with wind, and great capacity as well. Unfortunately, in my case, they both crapped out - the PB-207 right away and after a warranty fix. Were they more reliable, or at least much less expensive, they'd be at the top of my list. They sit useless in a drawer.

Currently using a Vector Thunderbird Zippo insert - not quite as powerful as the Blazers, and woeful capacity, but still very good in the wind

• Like 1

The flame seems about the same as my previous lighter which didn't perform well in the wind, but how do you think that it would hold up?
I've had no problems so far but not encountered a gale!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wineguy said:

These work great and 3 for $24 delivered free from Amazon. 

B7BA0951-ADF3-49BF-99D4-A8E0688AEEB6.png

These are awesome lighters.   I bought a two pack when I thought I would have to send my Xikar Allume dual flame in but I ended up fixing it myself.   I use the cheap vertigo more often than my Xikar.   I will say it burns through butane some what quickly for its size.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BeerPimp said:

These are awesome lighters.   I bought a two pack when I thought I would have to send my Xikar Allume dual flame in but I ended up fixing it myself.   I use the cheap vertigo more often than my Xikar.   I will say it burns through butane some what quickly for its size.

Agree with you on the butane burn but I love the lighter and and $8 each its not a worry. At the grad party for my friend’s son the son said I love this lighter. I said keep it and 

he was so excited... 

The Vertigo lighters shown above get the job done, seem to last a long time, and are inexpensive. I got two a while ago and think they are the best value around.  They last longer and work better than the Xikar and Blazer lighters I've had.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, FHFinster said:

I’m at the beach every weekend, and although it’s not beautiful, this has been fool proof no matter the wind. 

6BBF067A-6AAD-4DA5-BA59-B73F9168F28A.thumb.png.129654cbce2aff6ee5a4b2f9887a6350.png

I have wondered about these, never known anyone that has used one. How long to they last lighting cigars?

20 hours ago, irratebass said:

These are made for outdoor use, and I agree they work well. Can probably find them cheaper. 

https://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/stratosphere/

I am actually looking at that lighter and the Xikar Volta tabletop lighter right at this very moment. Both seem to be pretty good for what I need!

16 hours ago, joeypots said:

The Vertigo lighters shown above get the job done, seem to last a long time, and are inexpensive. I got two a while ago and think they are the best value around.  They last longer and work better than the Xikar and Blazer lighters I've had.

The Vertigo is the one that cracked open on me, but when it worked it worked pretty well considering the price.

3 hours ago, 06Speed6 said:

I am actually looking at that lighter and the Xikar Volta tabletop lighter right at this very moment. Both seem to be pretty good for what I need!

I won the Volta from a contest about 3yrs ago or so (whenever the Volta 1st came out) anyway.....it's a fantastic lighter, I've never brought it in from my garage, and It always lights.....I def recommend it of you are looking for a good table top lighter. 

5 hours ago, 06Speed6 said:

I have wondered about these, never known anyone that has used one. How long to they last lighting cigars?

The plasma lighter lasts me a full day at the beach. One cigar, lit and relit many many times. After a full day of beach use, enough charge is usually left to light one more cigar while at home. 

To get the cigar lit, it takes about 30 seconds to one minute.  The  purple electrical current literally jumps from the lighter to the cigar when held close (holding it close is best). 

The lighter charges quickly, so if I forget to charge at home, I can do so in the car or with my portable iPhone battery. 

$20 and works every time.