I hate when this happens....cigar burst

Like right now. Client gave me 2 and both exploded like this. Burn isn’t so bad considering and taste is semi earthy and pepper one dimensional all the way so far. They were free what can I complain about.  

8A24DDC2-6501-4E3B-82ED-52B6E2560B29.thumb.jpeg.0f18e6c20fa7e94382b15500ff9fa478.jpeg

• Like 1

Is there anyway to save the stick? I've had that happen a few times and luckily once I've smoked past that point it's not unravelled like yours.

I only find the unravel happens when I try to slide the band off and its glued to tight and I rip the wrapper and then it unravels when I'm trying to nub it.

High humidity, Jeff?  That’s what that looks like to me. Taking a cigar stored in the low 60’s rH out into 80 or 90% rH will blow up some cigars. 

I have had that happen to 3-4 R&J Wide Churchhills and a numerous from a particular batch of Drew Estate cigars and Avo Classics. I could hear the wrappers cracking like rice crispies! I thought it had something to do with my storage temps 70-72F @ 65%RH then rushing outside where it is 105-107F and lighting up. The humidity has been very low here so I thought that may have had something to do with it too. Last night I prepared a RJWC and prior to stepping outside I moistened the entire cigar. Low and behold no wrapper issues! I did have some tracking problems due to them being slightly under-filled, which has been the standard with this batch <shrug> oh well. Decent cigar otherwise. 

Has happened to me a few times. Actually gonna smoke a JL2 today that is starting down that path. Actually have wide churchill in the bottom of one of my bins where the where the wrapper has completely disintegrated below the band...

• 2 weeks later...

Karma is a b@^$h! So I read this thread and thought how great it was I've never had this happen to me. Well I didn't then knock on wood and obviously forgot to pay homage to the Cigar Gods or spit three times and turn around to erase the curse.

Today, thought I would have a pre-birthday smoke of a well aged Lusi and the picture tells the story. After nursing a plug, using a PerfecDraw, and generally fighting through the first half, I got the exploding cigar gift.

Don't tempt the Cigar Gods!!!

exploder.jpg

A construction flaw that occurs when the pupa has been made too large (thick) in the first place. Binder and filler are then becoming compressed too much in the mould. In the end, in the finished cigar, not the binder - as intended - but the wrapper alone is holding the cigar together. The heavily creased binder can't retain the pressure from the expanding filler upon smoking, and cigars are prone to burst. In particular when fresh and when the filler is still very elastic and resilient. Storage on the moister end is not helping either.

That said, actually a rather very rare instance for me.

• Like 1