Under another topic the conversation of jar storage has come up so I wanted to expand on it a little.

I started storing some of my customs in jars as I didn’t have enough larger cigar boxes to keep them in.

First problem I noticed is the thicker ring gauge don’t age without any air flow. I have 2-3 year old cigars that I can still smell ammonia in and others that taste very young.

Then I have others that seem flavor less when I know that they weren’t when I put them in there.(as the other poster had stated)

I have loosened the lid for 6 month periods to let the initial aging process do it’s thing and also drilled a very small hole in the lids so there’s a little air movement in the jar. We know that even plastic bags breath a little so I’m attempting to simulate this.

Anyone else have any of these things happen to them? 

Of course ammonia in a sealed jar does not evaporate, but this does not mean that cigars age worse. Remember the aging in the tubos  and the original HSS Jars. I think it's enough to air once a year for the ammonia to evaporate.

• Like 1

Ammonia and Mason Jars, sounds like a Howard Hughes hygiene topic. ?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, smoking fool said:

Please use Ball jars to support my alma mater (Ball State U.), so they will stop calling me for money.

Ball jars? Nope, you ain't foolin' me! I am not going to Google that!!

17 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Ball jars? Nope, you ain't foolin' me! I am not going to Google that!!

Wasn’t that a thing in your previous life?

8 minutes ago, madandana said:

Wasn’t that a thing in your previous life?

It wouldn't surprise me. I've seen a lot of weird things in my previous life....and the current one too! :lookaround:

17 hours ago, madandana said:

Under another topic the conversation of jar storage has come up so I wanted to expand on it a little.

I started storing some of my customs in jars as I didn’t have enough larger cigar boxes to keep them in.

First problem I noticed is the thicker ring gauge don’t age without any air flow. I have 2-3 year old cigars that I can still smell ammonia in and others that taste very young.

Then I have others that seem flavor less when I know that they weren’t when I put them in there.(as the other poster had stated)

I have loosened the lid for 6 month periods to let the initial aging process do it’s thing and also drilled a very small hole in the lids so there’s a little air movement in the jar. We know that even plastic bags breath a little so I’m attempting to simulate this.

Anyone else have any of these things happen to them? 

What I am reading is that Dana won't let you buy another humidor  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1