Calvados

So I'm a pretty big cyder lover after many holidays down in Cornwall and Devon and I've been exploring Pommaux de Normandie after the recommendations here (Incredible stuff!) and the odd bottle of Calvados too.

Has anyone got any recommendations for their favourite Calvados? I'm a fan of the rich sweet side of things opposed to sharp/woody if that helps. I have hopes of members sharing their little known gems of apple based heaven :D

11 hours ago, 99call said:

Type Chateau du Breuil into Google. You can order direct and save yourself a packet. I love their calvados. Plus their veille prune is wonderful.  Can't recommend them highly enough

You got me on to their Pd Normandie in a big way! Is their any particular of their calvados you are drawn to? I'm guessing with more age they smooth out like regular grape brandies?

21 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

You got me on to their Pd Normandie in a big way! Is their any particular of their calvados you are drawn to? I'm guessing with more age they smooth out like regular grape brandies?

HHmm...... they do all sort so interesting stuff,  they do single cask, specific years, double maturation.     They did a really nice one a couple of years ago, which was called 'reserve de Chatelaine'   which was designed to be really floral. 

I would suggest there older vintages reflect what you get and lose when you cook an apple.   I.e.  older vintages have a rich buttery, toffee aspect, which whilst very nice, loses a little of that bright apple flavour.  

I'm currently thinking of getting these two

https://chateau-breuil.biz/boutique/en/our-calvados/197-fine-calvados.html

https://chateau-breuil.biz/boutique/en/our-calvados/198-fine-calvados.html

I've found a couple of miniatures of their fine and vsop to try out. I know what you're saying with the ageing, I know some younger ones have a bit of bite to them, while the very old get quite tannic, I'm guessing that middle ground is where to explore.

That port finished sounds delicious, I can almost taste the extra depth that's going to bring out. 

How is their shipping? I'm guessing all properly packed up etc

11 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

How is their shipping? I'm guessing all properly packed up etc

A flat €16, and very well packed.

enjoy, and do a review if you get the time, I'm imagining they might go well with a SLR Regio or maybe a  woody HDM Especial?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 99call said:

A flat €16, and very well packed.

enjoy, and do a review if you get the time, I'm imagining they might go well with a SLR Regio or maybe a  woody HDM Especial?

That's good then, yeah I'd imagine they would go well, I'm thinking Lusitanias! :hungry:

I love a goof calva. The Roger Groult Venerable is a good value as well. Nothing beats what you can get in France from small producers though, imo.

i wish I could buy direct from the producers like many of you on the other side of the pond!